OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 10:03 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Ok guys so I finally got a decent video of me chopping against top spin. He wasn't really doing safe loops to accommodate the drill or video we agreed he would attack the chop like it was a game as much as possible.
This is me playing for the very first time with my JSH blade however when I arrived at the club I was thrown straight into top table. So I guess this is with about an hour worth of games before this practise.

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Last edited by Ndragon on 14 Oct 2021, 07:08, edited 4 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 22:58 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Much better! I have the impression, though, your swing still isn't long enough. It is wristy, though.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 23:12 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
Much better! I have the impression, though, your swing still isn't long enough. It is wristy, though.

eyyyyy my G :up: thanks for watching :rock:
Are there any in this vid you're happy with? link me to a time if yes plz. I did say I still don't do it enough but I also wanted to hear if people still feel ALL of them still aren't long enough. If none are long enough then I will definitely put some focus on it for the next session.
The wrist is not on purpose but I did notice naturally just from me trying to swing from higher up I have put some extra wrist into it (still can do more I know :P )

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 10:46 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Ndragon wrote:
Lorre wrote:

Are there any in this vid you're happy with? link me to a time if yes plz. I did say I still don't do it enough but I also wanted to hear if people still feel ALL of them still aren't long enough. If none are long enough then I will definitely put some focus on it for the next session.
The wrist is not on purpose but I did notice naturally just from me trying to swing from higher up I have put some extra wrist into it (still can do more I know :P )

Dude, if you uploaded things in your blog more frequently, I would definitely be a regular viewer man, because it's really exciting to see someone like you developing as a defender. In terms of your swing length, most of your chops starting from around 4:50 in the video started having more length to them consistently compared to early on in the video. I felt like all the other chops prior to that mark were a bit short in length in terms of consistency compared to the beginning of this video. However, I still agree with Lorre that all your chops could be just the slightest bit longer overall. I noticed that at most, your racket head would be slightly above your shoulder (huge improvement from last video I saw IMHO, so cheers!) and I would say that bringing the head of your racquet up to your left ear and down to your right knee would be the optimal length, and follow through as needed back to your playing position. Also, the wrist movement seems a bit tense IMO, but i can't really tell; as you know, it's important to have a fluid, relaxed arm/stroke when chopping, so the wrist naturally sort sort of "flows" into the stroke and isn't so forced. That was one of my early mistakes, forcing the wrist to twist and turn so much that I kind of messed up my arm (I regret that). If you are doing everything while being relaxed though, kudos to you, you're doing really well :D I would recommend watching Pingskills' videos on chopping, if you know who they are. You can search up their channel on Youtube, and their videos as well, they are really helpful ;)

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 18:42 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Dude, if you uploaded things in your blog more frequently, I would definitely be a regular viewer man, because it's really exciting to see someone like you developing as a defender. In terms of your swing length, most of your chops starting from around 4:50 in the video started having more length to them consistently compared to early on in the video. I felt like all the other chops prior to that mark were a bit short in length in terms of consistency compared to the beginning of this video. However, I still agree with Lorre that all your chops could be just the slightest bit longer overall. I noticed that at most, your racket head would be slightly above your shoulder (huge improvement from last video I saw IMHO, so cheers!) and I would say that bringing the head of your racquet up to your left ear and down to your right knee would be the optimal length, and follow through as needed back to your playing position. Also, the wrist movement seems a bit tense IMO, but i can't really tell; as you know, it's important to have a fluid, relaxed arm/stroke when chopping, so the wrist naturally sort sort of "flows" into the stroke and isn't so forced. That was one of my early mistakes, forcing the wrist to twist and turn so much that I kind of messed up my arm (I regret that). If you are doing everything while being relaxed though, kudos to you, you're doing really well :D I would recommend watching Pingskills' videos on chopping, if you know who they are. You can search up their channel on Youtube, and their videos as well, they are really helpful ;)

Hey thanks for watching and yeah I will make this my blog from now on since the title is more appropriate.
Thanks for the time links and tips this is exactly what I needed right before I head out to a 3 hour training sesh :D
I won't be doing only chopping today but I will definitely remember and focus on the longer swing when I do.
Yeah I know ping skills, will have a look again later. I will be filming and editing my session today so that should hopefully be up this weekend, maybe even today lol.
I can't think if I am really relaxed or not actually, I think most of the time I am but I will think about it later while playing to see.

Again, thanks for the tips guys and thanks for watching :rock:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 22:04 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Ndragon wrote:
Lorre wrote:

I think Dan answered your question to me.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 05:58 
Super User

So I really tried to swing from as high as my ears today. Although i didn't get too much time to do this drill as we lost track of time tbh and I only had 20mins left.
But I can notice straight away that I actually feel more relaxed when I start that high up, feels like time slows down somehow lol. The timing was a bit off first 5-10mins but after that I noticed it was more loaded with backspin than before. I think too that my wrist naturally got more involved and I almost gained energy rather than lost it (perhaps I am being too lazy or does this really happen?).

I am currently uploading my edit from today. My chop drill is right at the end and has only few clips simply because first 10mins were very inconsistent and although after that I was pretty consistent my partner however didn't manage to spin them up more than half the time :headbang: but he was quite tired and hungry at this point and I know my chops were more spinny. However I can say that I managed to swing from my ears more than 75% of the time so thank you guys :up: I will continue to focus on it on the next session too.

I will post the video once uploaded :)

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 07:06 
Super User

I need to work on bending my knees a bit more at all times I think, my FH would probably be a little stronger then. I can't wait for the time I can see me having the confidence to loop in matches like I do in training.
My chopping is at the end at 9:30
Anyway hope you guys enjoy. Again, let me know whats good, bad and decent :)

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 20:50 
Joo Too
Joo Too

I didn't know Chen Weixing trained at your local club. ;) Keep up the good work! :up:

What do you mean with gaining energy?
And did your training partner also use LP?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 00:29 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
I didn't know Chen Weixing trained at your local club. ;) Keep up the good work! :up:

What do you mean with gaining energy?
And did your training partner also use LP?

Yeah he uses the Butterfly Matsushita with FL2 1.1mm.

I think I was just very relaxed in the drill because I knew where the ball is coming and the chop felt nice and chill because it flows so nice so i felt like I was gaining energy rather than losing it. I believe I got a bit lazy though :lol:

I need to keep my FH swing long all the time too, noticed I only half swing sometimes :^)

can't wait for next training session now so I can do these things :oops:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 01:58 
Super User

Haha, the length has improved much much more since last time! Good to see you improving so quickly 8)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 07:07 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Haha, the length has improved much much more since last time! Good to see you improving so quickly 8)

I just gotta remember to keep doing it though so it can become muscle memory. Then the next test is to do it in match play!

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 12:37 
Super User

Ndragon wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

I just gotta remember to keep doing it though so it can become muscle memory. Then the next test is to do it in match play!

Pulling off muscle memory in that short amount of time is going to make soooo jelly, it took me like 2 years for me to have the chop I have right now, and it's still really bad ;( But hey, at least I can comfort myself knowing that I got a player formerly rated 2400-ish (he took a break from TT for a little less than a year since 2016? His name is Roy Ke, and he's a senior in my high school I think) have difficulty with my chop to the point where he looped into the net every now and then :rofl:

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 19:04 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Pulling off muscle memory in that short amount of time is going to make soooo jelly, it took me like 2 years for me to have the chop I have right now, and it's still really bad ;( But hey, at least I can comfort myself knowing that I got a player formerly rated 2400-ish (he took a break from TT for a little less than a year since 2016? His name is Roy Ke, and he's a senior in my high school I think) have difficulty with my chop to the point where he looped into the net every now and then :rofl:

Quickly for me would be 3months. But I think I can only achieve that if I train properly and well 5 or 6 times a month. I really can't see that happening but I am hopeful and not in a rush anyway.

Oh nice. Bet that felt good hehe. It is nice when you see someone try to lift the underspin and the ball flies down so quick after contact :devil:

I am hoping to get a training in today with a former top 10 or 20 mens England player who is only not that coz he went uni and hasn't played in tournaments for years. I played him quickly months ago and he was still a monster so fingers crossed I can train and film with him today :rock:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 20:28 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Ndragon wrote:
Quickly for me would be 3months. But I think I can only achieve that if I train properly and well 5 or 6 times a month. I really can't see that happening but I am hopeful and not in a rush anyway.

To get it in three months it'll require a lot more training than that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next