OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 08:11 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Tonight was one hell of a session. Knocked up for about 30mins before doing a big round robin with a variety of players at the club. Ranging from Div 1/2/3 players but most importantly quite a few completely new opponents 4 of which I've never even seen them play matches.

I won every single match not dropping a single game except for 1....Semi again haha but so so close.

1 of the players was a junior who played and trained in China for a few years (15yrs old I think). That was a fun game, difficult to get my FH in vs him but I surprised him and even me when I did haha

1 thing to note though, and I feel this isn't good but not sure how to work on it. When I play vs the div 2 or 3 player who either doesn't attack a lot or plays close to the table and angles, I don't know what road to go down strategy wise while still enjoying.
1. Be the aggressor and open up. Problem with this is I don't enjoy playing aggressive and also lose too many points from missing the loops.
2. Easy road. Stay at the table push and open also with the LPs, use angles etc finish the ez balls. Problem is I DO NOT enjoy playing at the table.
3. Play usual game and be happy being slightly more passive, push, open also with LPs, lots of twiddling, finish the ez balls. Problem with this is my patience :lol: and also getting my hand caught when twiddling :headbang:

I almost dropped 2 games to the div 3 player :(

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 08:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
1 thing to note though, and I feel this isn't good but not sure how to work on it. When I play vs the div 2 or 3 player who either doesn't attack a lot or plays close to the table and angles, I don't know what road to go down strategy wise while still enjoying.
1. Be the aggressor and open up. Problem with this is I don't enjoy playing aggressive and also lose too many points from missing the loops.
2. Easy road. Stay at the table push and open also with the LPs, use angles etc finish the ez balls. Problem is I DO NOT enjoy playing at the table.
3. Play usual game and be happy being slightly more passive, push, open also with LPs, lots of twiddling, finish the ez balls. Problem with this is my patience :lol: and also getting my hand caught when twiddling :headbang:

I almost dropped 2 games to the div 3 player :(
Sometimes in order to win u have to play a game that you dont like.
you may have to just grind it out and be boring and be patient.
you will not enjoy that.
to me winning is everything and i often do not like the way that i play.
sounds nuts i know.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 15:55 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
Sometimes in order to win u have to play a game that you dont like.
you may have to just grind it out and be boring and be patient.
you will not enjoy that.
to me winning is everything and i often do not like the way that i play.
sounds nuts i know.

Not at all mate I think most people feel your way.
The ez way to beat them isn't actually boring it's just I don't really want to stay at the table. Of course I could just get my attacking game good but that's easier said than done lol

Although I didn't drop any games, 2 of them went 11/9 but I was actually behind at first. I resorted to style 2 to make sure I come back and won and then for the 3rd game I played style 3 which resulted in a fairly easy win with just a few hiccups.

But yeah you're right, sometimes it's not about putting a stamp on the match where you win very convinsingly as long as you never lose.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2021, 02:29 
Super User

Not good news. My knee (meniscus) has been hurting today. I am just hoping it's not because of the table tennis last night. I didn't feel any pain or discomfort last night though, not even tightness so I'm really hoping it's something else

Fingers crossed. Coz although I have ideas of other styles to try and enjoy if I cannot play like this, I really don't want to as I have so much fun and enjoyment plying how I do atm

EDIT: I think it was the glute stretch I done this morning that may have caused it. I hope so anyway lol

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 18:38 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
How are your quad muscles? I find a significant reduction in knee pain (two meniscus tears and a screw for a torn cruciate ligament) when my quads are well developed. Once they start to waste away (e.g. over lockdown, or as a result of another injury) I feel pain almost all day every day, especially getting out of bed in the morning.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 20:23 
Super User

dunc wrote:
How are your quad muscles? I find a significant reduction in knee pain (two meniscus tears and a screw for a torn cruciate ligament) when my quads are well developed. Once they start to waste away (e.g. over lockdown, or as a result of another injury) I feel pain almost all day every day, especially getting out of bed in the morning.

Ooof that sounds bad. Before all the ops my legs bum and core were pretty damn solid because of my rollerblading all those years. They are still quite well developed but I lost some muscle on the operated leg, slowly building back up. We have different injuries though, I had an ACL reconstruction and a Meniscal transplant.

I don't usually feel pain unless I've had it in bad position for a few mins or while. Or overdo it with TT lol

I am 100% sure the pain came from the way I bent my lower leg from my top in order to do a certain glute stretch. I stopped doing it before because of that same thing and I usually do it a different way but I didn't have time so I done the old way quickly.

I just hope the way I'm playing isn't doing me dirty slowly slowly without me knowing though, that's what I'm afraid of....that one day it's gonna be too late kinda thing :(

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2021, 21:02 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

From the older guys that I know in TT, once you get a knee injury, it's pretty much a one-way street to having your movement restricted. Might take months, might take years. My movement is mostly fine for now, it's the pain that can cause problems. Tournaments for instance would hurt, and I'd barely be able to walk the following day. In 10 years time though, I know it'll be more of a problem.

There are things that can be done, e.g. steroid injections and knee replacements, but again, all of the older guys I know haven't had any kind of long-term success with these. Knee replacements in particular are fairly dire.

Personally I would just play as if it's not a problem, then if you notice it becoming a problem, make a change. I would quite often do "light training" days where I'd go to the club and play close to the table LP blocking where I don't have to move much. This means you're still getting a feel for the ball (and potentially learning some strokes that can help in your "real" game), and you're getting some social, but you're hopefully not putting too much stress on your knee.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2021, 01:07 
Super User

My consultant was pretty confident I could play as long as I wasn't going crazy like the pros movement lol. Fingers crossed. I rarely feel pain or even next day issues after playing TT and I go pretty hard without thinking about anything. Fingers crossed I never encounter a time I cannot walk well next day because of a TT session. That would definitely make me reconsider play style.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 00:55 
Super User

So today I played with 2 people. 1 was a rematch with Louise who is a Div2 average player, she also plays in women's British league or vetts one I'm not 100% sure, trying to find out as I write this. She is the one who has a regular playing partner and I believe team mate who uses Dtecs OX.

Last time although it wasn't close when I played defensive and only attacked the easier shots, I did find myself having to run left and right to get to stuff. This time round it was quite different....what can I say, I seemed to have improved a fair bit, my chops were better and my FH was way better. 1 thing to note was that last time any open rally where I was looping and her blocking resulted in 95% her point. This time it was much more 50 50.

Last 20mins I used a double inverted bat to help her prepare for her tournament this weekend (vetts). I used my good old Donic Waldner Senso Carbon with Mark V both sides except the FH was not max sponge but I cannot remember if it was 1.5 or 1.7. It was a nice surprise with lots of cool rallies and SOMEHOW my FH was better lol. I could really go right through with a full swing and the lower throw meant it didn't overshoot and was dangerous.

Then I played with another guy who I've played before, he is good and consistent when the rally is open, but he doesn't like heavy backspin much. I would say because of this he is a strong Div3 player only. So I decided to have some fun and try out a few other bats. I tried one of my future ideas which was FL2 1.1 on a Stiga ALL Classic and staying in zone 1 and actually blocking, hitting, looping with it and it definitely works as I imagined. Can easily banana flick short/midlong backspin/nospin shots and easily loop to open up a long push as well as punch/loop vs topspin.

I then tried a clubmates bat again with FL2 0.5 on apelgren Allplay v2. After a few shots it felt so different to my own I checked it and it was completely frictionless :headbang: (3yrs old) but I guess that might be what Dtecs 0.5 might be like although even my dtecs has way more grip than that. I didn't spend more more 5mins with that bat coz it was just so weird and illegal I didn't see the point.

Then I played double inverted and yet again seeing my FH sync well with that blade and Mark V again. But last 15mins I went back to my main bat.
Btw when I say zone 1 I was still up to 1m from table as I really really don't like being 1-2ft only.

All in all was great fun and playing the same people after a while is good to see when I have improved. With my main bat I absolutely anhialated both of them in match play. Although with the Mark V/DWSC my FH was definitely doing them both dirty :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 01:11 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Ndragon wrote:
It was a nice surprise with lots of cool rallies and SOMEHOW my FH was better lol. I could really go right through with a full swing and the lower throw meant it didn't overshoot and was dangerous.

What's your usual FH rubber?

By the sounds of things, if it was only a 1.7mm sponge on your FH, is it not just because this is a lot slower than usual?

I'm strongly of the opinion that everyone - myself included - would be a couple of points better, and have more fluid/freeflowing FH technique, if we used a slower FH rubber.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 01:17 
Super User

dunc wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
It was a nice surprise with lots of cool rallies and SOMEHOW my FH was better lol. I could really go right through with a full swing and the lower throw meant it didn't overshoot and was dangerous.

What's your usual FH rubber?

By the sounds of things, if it was only a 1.7mm sponge on your FH, is it not just because this is a lot slower than usual?

I'm strongly of the opinion that everyone - myself included - would be a couple of points better, and have more fluid/freeflowing FH technique, if we used a slower FH rubber.

I used to play with H3 on FH before on same blade so it's definitely not that. After I switched back to main bat (or any of the others which were all G1s or Joola xplode) the thing that stood out was the throw angle.

But I wouldn't disagree with you either. Although I cannot deny that in zone 2 (1-2m) the effort needed was noticeably more taxing and the fishing/counter loop was much better with the G1. Its the trade off I guess. Does make me wonder though :?:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 01:21 
Super User

Can confirm that Louise plays in the vetts women British league division 2 and has about 60% win rate. She is rank 67! Have no idea what that translates to but her team mates are Div 1/2 players and she usually beats the Div2 player.

Also Dunc you got me thinking now. Whenever my blade goes on sale on TT11 I'll likely try Dtecs 0.5 and may just order Mark V too

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 20:53 
Super User

Ok so I noticed yesterday when I was playing double inverted, or with the FL2 1.1 (but playing like double inverted anyway lol) that at some point my knee was a little annoyed and got a little tight nearer the end. When I went back to my main bat and style it went away. It carried over to the evening and this morning too but its starting to feel ok now. No swelling and no problems with flexion and mobility etc so that's good.

Gotta keep an eye out on that one

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2021, 08:32 
Super User

I was very excited for tonight's session because there were about 6 younger lads some of which are a high playing standard compared to all the people I've played vs so far. I was hoping to join in their round robin.

So it didn't quite go to plan but I did get a game in with the 2nd best one of the group who asked me a while back to play so he can get more experience vs LPs, but at the time I was very bad and not confident to say yes and so continued to play with my partner at the time. This time I went to him and he said yes.
These are the sorts of people you can feel are on a different lvl purely due to the spin and speed of their loops, the kinda people that play in a fairly high Senior British League lvl.

Anyway, we were doing match play without counting and I could see I got many free points from the fact that he hasn't been exposed enough if at all to low friction OX LPs. He then wanted to score and said its closer than I think. This is where he started to play smarter and although I got a lot of my points for free, even I was surprised by how much backspin I returned with a chop so it's not free :D I'll take them thanks!
But he won 3-0 only 1 set was close the others were clearly his. He gave me some tips after and he is totally right, I was forcing the BH too much instead of just using FH whether it be a twiddle chop or the loop from distance which surprisingly he praised me for (I honestly thought he only lost those loop to loops coz I didn't put much spin and he was expecting more :lol:)
But I learnt a lot, 1 I'm better than I give myself credit for, 2 I NEED to be more confident with FH even if it means for the next month I give more points than earn, 3 these guys are on a different lvl but I so badly want to get there, 4 don't be so quick to loop vs push unless it's gonna be a good one!

After that I played Anatol in best of 3.....he was definitely triggered from whoever he played before but regardless. I won :party: and I cannot believe the difference. The points are short though. I make too many mistakes of little things, it's really bad and I know the more I play the less that happens so I'm cool with it, but need to think about it more. I also think I need to twiddle and FH chop more coz actually it's very effective.

There were so many good players at the club tonight and I hope to 1 day (hopefully not too distant future) get good enough that they include me in their little tournaments and ask to play me. It felt amazing to play that first guy, just a different game but can imagine how much more amazing it would be if I can actually compete vs him for real, make him sweat!

Knee felt ok no tightness etc (fingers crossed)

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 22:42 

Quote:

I think your post on choosing strategy is pretty relevant when it comes to dealing with players that are a couple of levels better. Just like you I've found that I can sometimes get a lead or win the first set before they adjust. Particularly for younger players without much experience vs pimples or choppers. I imagine it goes something like this in their head:

- "I'll just go and play my regular game, should be easy enough".
- "Why am I missing easy shots? Pimples should be illegal".
- "Hmm, maybe I don't need to hit so hard? If I just serve fast no spin to backhand I'll get an easy return. If it's high enough finish the ball, otherwise just slow loop, push and move the guy around until I get a chance to finish the ball."

Going back to the strategies it's easy for a chopper/pimples player to get a good start with their normal game. But unless your style is to win through consistency and spin variation you need to switch it up before the opponent becomes too comfortable. Adding in a bit of aggressive play can get them out of their comfort zone. My mistake has often been to wait too long to switch it up, giving them a chance to figure out my game. Try adding some variation in from the start just to get that strategy warmed up and keeping them guessing.

My blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next