OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 22:20 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
magnuseffect wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
Not quite like Amir. I would like to be a bit more FH orientated. Which is why I am likely to stick with LPs. I would look to play somewhat like Manika/Sreeja Akula or maybe Abbasi Amirreza. But I'll see how my game develops. I'll wait till February hopefully before making any other purchases.

This time round I think in all honesty I'll just play off instincts and not think too deeply about it all. And see where it all leads

Interesting to see what you end up with. Having played Amir in a training session I can say his style and equipment is really well thought out. Everything just works together. He can be quite offensive with both backhand and forehand against passive play. Those long and fast nospin serves with anti is just horrible to return :)

Ooooh you had the pleasure to play vs him, niceee!
I very much enjoy watching him, just don't think I would have fun replicating him (trying to more like lol). But I am open to the doors so who knows. I just know those frictionless stuff don't last too long, but after Dwruck gave me some info I would consider Storkraft if I can get it to last 6+ months.

It's going to be LPs or FAnti though for sure. I'll very likely not bother trying another LP too, and get a Green Dtecs next year haha. When Storkraft goes on sale I'll pick one up for my Clipper. And by February I'll have decided on SPs vs Mark V. But honestly this time round I'm taking a step back from all the thinking and distant goals and just see where it all takes me

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 18:52 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I think its because of the pip players you listed, all of them do not rely on their lp to win points! It is merely there for a setup. So they use fast blades to assist with the finishing shots, instead of using a slower blade to add control on the backhand.

Leonardo - big fh looper
Ericson - big fh kill and backhand twiddle kill
Amirrezza - forehand reliant also
Manika - twiddles a bunch and attacks both sides
Sun Jian FEI
Jian li

You'll have to find lower ranked players closer to the level you wish to attain, and see what they use.

Pamela song
Chih de rong
Jerry dydynski
Oliver mader
"George"
Jim wetzler
Robert shahnazari
Shuja jafar

I keep trying to play an aggressive forehand game... but my brain is so hardwired for bh dominance! I end up forcing fh shots that miss, or revert to getting 80% with the backhand.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 20:11 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
I think its because of the pip players you listed, all of them do not rely on their lp to win points! It is merely there for a setup. So they use fast blades to assist with the finishing shots, instead of using a slower blade to add control on the backhand.

Leonardo - big fh looper
Sun Jian FEI
Jian li

You'll have to find lower ranked players closer to the level you wish to attain, and see what they use.

Pamela song
Chih de rong
Jerry dydynski
Oliver mader
"George"
Jim wetzler
Robert shahnazari
Shuja jafar

I keep trying to play an aggressive forehand game... but my brain is so hardwired for bh dominance! I end up forcing fh shots that miss, or revert to getting 80% with the backhand.

My feeling towards this next comment are of course subject to change but I really don't want to play like the bottom list of people.

I would like to play like Manika/Sreeja Akula actually but we will see what happens naturally.

If you're naturally using your BH a lot then it makes sense for you assuming you enjoy it too lol

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 20:59 

Ndragon wrote:
It's going to be LPs or FAnti though for sure. I'll very likely not bother trying another LP too, and get a Green Dtecs next year haha. When Storkraft goes on sale I'll pick one up for my Clipper. And by February I'll have decided on SPs vs Mark V. But honestly this time round I'm taking a step back from all the thinking and distant goals and just see where it all takes me

Trying out both for a while sounds like a good idea. Having played both the flanti and lp ox blockers it seems to me that the anti is more difficult to deal with, but could be because I'm not as used to playing that style or because I haven't played a high level OX blocker.

My blog

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 00:14 
Super User

magnuseffect wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

Trying out both for a while sounds like a good idea. Having played both the flanti and lp ox blockers it seems to me that the anti is more difficult to deal with, but could be because I'm not as used to playing that style or because I haven't played a high level OX blocker.

Did you not have to play the LPs guy in your recent vid? He looked pretty good

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 02:07 

Ndragon wrote:

Didn't play him that match, but we've played a lot before and it's maybe the reason I feel confident against OX. He probably needs to improve offensively to win more.

My blog

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 06:32 
Super User

magnuseffect wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

Didn't play him that match, but we've played a lot before and it's maybe the reason I feel confident against OX. He probably needs to improve offensively to win more.

Ah I see, difficult to tell in your video, but when he attacked it looked good (probably why it made it to your vid lol)

I think that's the thing right there though, either heavily use BH and put most of your eggs into that basket, or you have to be active and good with FH

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 09:14 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Ndragon wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Leonardo - big fh looper
Sun Jian FEI
Jian li

Pamela song
Chih de rong
Jerry dydynski
Oliver mader
"George"
Jim wetzler
Robert shahnazari
Shuja jafar

My feeling towards this next comment are of course subject to change but I really don't want to play like the bottom list of people.

I would like to play like Manika/Sreeja Akula actually but we will see what happens naturally.

If you're naturally using your BH a lot then it makes sense for you assuming you enjoy it too lol

If you've watched a number of players on that list, I'm of the opinion a few are quite fh oriented and play off it quite frequently. Rob s, John wetzler, Jerry d, and a number of others are the 2100-2200 rating level.

I hadn't seen sreeja before, but her style looks very crisp! Good usage of forehand kills, with basic backhand blocking. That kind of ratio seems doable even for amateurs! Her footwork isn't super demanding, as in she doesn't run around the wide backhand like other players might try. She's content to backhand block, waiting for an opportunity.

You don't really see super forehand dominant killers like liu song until reaching a world class level. I think the footwork speed, anticipation and skill required is just too high! Not only that, but the opponents miss a whole lot more at lower levels. So there isn't as much urgency to fh kill kill kill every opportunity.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 23:25 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
skilless_slapper wrote:
You don't really see super forehand dominant killers like liu song until reaching a world class level. I think the footwork speed, anticipation and skill required is just too high! Not only that, but the opponents miss a whole lot more at lower levels. So there isn't as much urgency to fh kill kill kill every opportunity.

100% true

Even when I've played against good players in the UK, e.g. guys who perform well at Championship British League level etc, they still make mistakes against the pimples and heavy spin. Difference is, they'll win most of their points before I can get into a rally.

I've played against one or two players where I've thought, "F***, I can't defend at all against this guy". Truth is though, even if I wanted to play more FH attacking against them, I couldn't - it's a combination of them being a level (or more) better than me AND being good against LPs.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021, 02:27 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Leonardo - big fh looper
Sun Jian FEI
Jian li

Pamela song
Chih de rong
Jerry dydynski
Oliver mader
"George"
Jim wetzler
Robert shahnazari
Shuja jafar

If you've watched a number of players on that list, I'm of the opinion a few are quite fh oriented and play off it quite frequently. Rob s, John wetzler, Jerry d, and a number of others are the 2100-2200 rating level.

I hadn't seen sreeja before, but her style looks very crisp! Good usage of forehand kills, with basic backhand blocking. That kind of ratio seems doable even for amateurs! Her footwork isn't super demanding, as in she doesn't run around the wide backhand like other players might try. She's content to backhand block, waiting for an opportunity.

I haven't watched the ones you've mentioned now except a bit of Rob. I've screen shot the names now so I'll get around to it at some point.

That last point you made is very true. I definitely don't intend to be FH dominant like that although who knows I am sidestepping to FH on my BH side sometimes it seems. But I need to give it all time atm and also need to record some match play to see what is really happening rather than go only off feeling.

This Sunday should be a good session and next Wednesday too, I'll get in some match play with all lvls and see if I can remember where I win and lose points etc. I'll be playing without thinking too much so my game should have a natural feel to it. I'm very curious myself :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021, 04:49 
Super User

New upload. I wanted to get more footage of things going into match play but unfortunately he came quite late and we didn't have too much time, plus I switched bats to use inverted to see if it was his technique or my SPs stopping him from countering my opening loop to his BH (it was my SPs :rofl: ). Then he ended up using a chopping bat and I used his double inverted bat :lol:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021, 19:59 
Super User

I played yesterday morning as I had a day off due to a shift swap and I got to finally play again with Coach Gordon the chopper attacker defender that was in a few of my vids. He hasn't been training properly for months due to loads of volunteer coaching at the club. But he has improved anyway.

We done some drills, me FH to his BH chop then I switch to his FH and we play point out. I first done it with inverted mainly just for him to break in his new sheet of FL2 0.5. Then after 10mins I used my bat. He also gave me some tips about using the shorter stroke as I had better consistency and more power even. (I saw a 14s clip of Mely Diaz doing a FH drill and tried to copy). And it finally clicked, how to perform the shorter stroke and different arm swings etc (especially a certain video I watched, I'll post it after).

My FH vs his chop was VERY consistent after that and they were decent shots not just safe, on top of that I was forcing myself to really go for those balls that were higher than the net. While I did make quite a few mistakes I know that I need to go for those anyway so will learn slowly slowly, and some of the shots that went on usually won me the point.

We then took a break and came back to play about 30mins worth of games. I was trying quite a few things but nearer the end it all started to click into place and the short snappy Mely inspired strokes went on more and more and I started to win the games. (Bare in mind Gordon is a 65-70% Div 1 player for many years)

After the session he told me to stick with is bat as if he didn't change his tactics a certain way he would never win, he is convinced this combination really suits me. He said this in retaliation to me talking about Frictionless Anti since when he hard FH loops I always block with a very still bat otherwise I cannot keep it on the table most of the time. He said the balls that come back are still very difficult so don't worry about it :devil:

I didn't film anything, but I wasn't planning to film anything other than matches or drills that easily go into match play and only once I've gotten really comfortable hitting like the usual SP players do to the higher balls

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021, 20:06 
Super User

This was the video I tried to copy at first but struggled, I can't really tell what the feeder is giving on 2 if the strokes

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021, 20:29 
Super User

Also @Skilless_Slapper I have watched quite a few vids of Robert now and gotta say my opinion has changed. He is great to watch, gotta learn to loop with the LPs like he does more often, I've only JUST started doing it after watching Manika but he does it better although less consistent it's a more potent shot.
Before I only say 2 vids of him and 1 of them was him getting anhialated by a young lad who was comfortable looping the first return.

I'll get around to the others sooner or later too, just need to finish up last few of Robert when I get the time. Thanks for that list btw :up:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2021, 16:57 
Super User

So I played last night, all in all not a very productive session. Played with 3 people, the first 2 were mainly knocks didn't bother doing more than 1 match as their playing lvl was div3 and they just regularly pop high balls to me it's not really good for me or them. Luckily the last hour I got to play with a fairly regular div2 player so I could test things properly.

But something happened yesterday with the Moristo, they went slippery and I tried cleaning with breath but still it wasn't catching the ball. I thought I was going crazy so I took out the other bat and that Moristo was fine. It really effected my game play vs the lower balls it was so frustrating. Anyway last night I've cleaned with a little bit of water and it seemed to regain some of the grip back. Hopefully it doesn't happen again :headbang:

My Vlog / Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next