OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 09:38 

Blade: Firewall+
FH: Victax 102 max
BH: Saviga 77 monster ox
I have been playing table tennis for about 5 years; I wanted to share my musings for myself and others.

I define Long Pips Nirvana as how to optimize my long pips game to continue to improve my game and to enjoy the process.

The lilypad i sit on is different from yours, i started my table tennis journey in my 50's as i progressed I got to usatt 1500 rating and to improve my game, i had to improve my loops, unfortunately everytime i looped which was every shot my knees hurt more. So adding power to my game was not going to work and adding speed was a definte impossibility but losing speed came naturally. I explored long pips, and I became a pushblocker clone, using firewall and dtecs ox and mxp on forehand. It came naturally to me, and I took a couple long pips lessons from a coach. In two weeks my training partners who we used to be even with, half the time i win half the time they win; could no longer win any matches from me. Then people started giving me side comments and were weary to play against me.

Basically my usatt rating jumped 200 points and I even defeated some usatt 1900s in tournaments.

I started playing against better opponents and Just blocking did not do it for me I wanted to attack with my backhand.

Unfortunately I do have an EJ itch and currently own 59 blades more than the number of blades I need. I need to find a way to lift this curse.

Honestly i enjoy watching long pip users on youtube and tournaments including anti players.

Long pips nirvana is to be able to block/chop/HIT on both the forehand and backhand.

Note: the blade, forehand rubber and pips rubber determines how well your pips play. After much experimentation this is extremely important to note.

For example putting dtecs ox on an amultart is not very effective, and i have played against that setup. If i were to use lp on amultart i would probably try a slow long pip like yinhe neptune ox or troublemaker ox. I have tried lp on amultart not very useful, note i judge on blocking and disruption.

long pips strategy
1. Service Return
Against topspin
Chop block late (ball is rising)
Chop block early (right at the bounce)
Push block (basically chop block early with forward motion
Chop
Block (tighten your grip with light downward stroke) coach Ti Long https://youtu.be/KSwjXJ6WxCI
Side swipe downwards
Roll - on lighter topspin gives very dead balls

Against nospin
Hit with long pips (hard). Need to close blade.
Side swipe neither up or down
Step back and chop gently

Against backspin
General strategy is to attack
Lift
Flick/Roll
Chicken wing
Chop
Side swipe upwards to opponent fh

Best video for attacking serves is by Pamela Song https://youtu.be/TcegxdZp3E4. Notice how aggressively she attacks the serve and in fact all her opponents shots.

Of course you can pushblock or block the serves. See Pushblockers games https://youtu.be/qrH-qe59hYs

There is chen wei xing on side swipe returns https://youtu.be/vjMSGj8_4xI

Last edited by Lpplayer on 30 Dec 2021, 04:20, edited 5 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 14:26 

My Hardware Trials

9/11/22 Been slacking on my updates for a few months.
Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tech Cypress Carbon + 20 grams of lead tapes;
Total weight with rubbers = 150 grams; will try 160 grams next
Fh: Victas 102 max
Bh: Kamikaze
Best combination for me now, I should have tried increasing the weight before, I can now even loop from mid distance and still smash with 102 although without sink effect. Most importantly, kamikaze blocking still has disruption and does not shoot off the table on blocks. I realized that this is basically a baby firewall plusbut off instead of allaround; I guess balsa + hinoki outer plus carbon may be THE solution for me; will also try XVT hinoki balsa carbon.

Blade: Dr Neubauer Special
Horrible - could not generate forehand power even with added lead tape. I have learned that blade is too big and too thick.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer World Champion
OK but still not fast enough

Since April I have been seeking to increase my forehand power but keep long pip ox effective on backhand.

4/6/22
Fh: Victas 102 max
Bh: Saviga 77 monster ox

Moved on to short pips FH and Long pips BH. Completely given up on inverted looping. Smash away baby!!
Mostly experimenting with 102 and waran 2, both do not have sink effect but are fast. For some reason 102 smashes well on firewall+, but waran2 on Firewall+ goes into the net. (Maybe I need smaller sponge). Saviga plays as well as kamikaze, both are slow. But saviga hitting is even more consistent than kamikaze.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/3/22
Blade: Donic Ovtcharov senso
Fh: Mxp max
Bh: Kamikaze ox

This combo works very well; kamikaze is slow enough for blocking giving dead balls and hitting is good. And FH is fast easy to use. This is a permanent combination I will keep and not change. Pretty good disruption.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: Matador Texa
Fh: 401 (very good can even loop)/Hurricane 3 boosted (nice but I cannot smash well)
Bh: p1r-ox (lost disruption no funk)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: Donic Persson Powerplay Senso v2
Fh: PK50 (eats spin)
Bh: kamikaze ox
Pros: can loop, still light; Slower and lighter blade makes long pips blocking easier.

Surprizingly this combination works. The senso v2 is slower and more controlled and lighter than regular powerplay so I can put faster fh rubber on. Kamikaze is more disruptive than p1r-ox on regular Powerplay, and hits better. Using this combo now; trying to figure out what fh rubber to use. Considering victas 402(Tried does not work well).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: Donic Persson Powerplay
Fh: Victas 401 2.0
Bh: p1r-ox black

This works quite well; but FH cannot loop as well with 401 but great for smashing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: Immune Ox
Fh: Victas 401 2.0/T5h
Bh: Yinhe 955 0.7/P1r ox

Not as good as regular Powerplay, 955 was good for chopping but poor funk; forehand rubbers above still not as comfortable as Powerplay
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: Gorishi Super Cut
Fh: Rakza z 2.0
Bh: Yinhe 955 0.7/P1r ox

Not good for blocking at all, even though 5 layers of walnut. I have deided that very tacky rubbers are not great for me, I like to smash too much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade: defplay: (Good for practicing hitting, then transition back to powerplay; using as training tool for hitting)
Fh: Rakza z (plays very well with defplay, better than 401, t5fx)
Bh: dtechs red ox (so hard to hit with; hits much better with 0.5 sponge, of course ox is great for everything else).

Blade: defplay (Not good combo)
Fh: Victas 401
Bh: P-H ox and PH 1.0 (no funk but hits great almost like playing inverted)

Blade: Immune ox: This combination does not work for hitting
Fh: Rakza z
Bh: p1r ox and giant Dragon Talon national ox red

Last edited by Lpplayer on 12 Sep 2022, 01:17, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 18:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Nice read.p1r ox gives control on fast blades but still works ok on the slower blades,it's almost like having a thin slow sponge even though it's ox

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 02:40 

Placeholder for videos

Initial video using Donic Powerplay with p1rox and victas 401; this is a training game against my training partner; he uses short pips/long pips and feeding me lots of dead balls. I am the one on the right https://youtu.be/-4SPSqo8JyQ. I was able to hit more often but i am still weary and only hitting high balls.

Last edited by Lpplayer on 27 Dec 2021, 13:30, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 02:44 

Placeholder for strategy

The obvious question to other lp users is; why not just twiddle.
I tried twiddling have to say i got confused often. Heck i have trouble doing a backhand serve then twiddling back to my normal grip. I dont know what it is but twiddling is still important but I do not want it to be because of hitting for me. Just too hard.

Basic strategy:
Aggressive, attack every ball from fh and bh; block and chop with placements to get pop ups.

This means I have to improve hitting and chopping with my pips and continue to practice other lp shots.