OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 21:49 

dunc wrote:
You're a Developer? Cool, I'm a DevOps Engineer... :)

I'm excited to see the outcome of that. 30 euros is certainly a lot for a single match, but I too would do it at least once. Just need to find the right match. Perhaps a close loss would be the best thing to submit?

Small world! I'm usually a full-stack dev but moving towards DevOps myself :D

Yeah I think I'll submit a close match against an opponent that I play often and where I think there are some tactical gains to be made. An example could be the guy I played in the veterans. I think I'm down 2-6 or something in matches and he's an established player not likely to change. Or if there is a specific style that I'm having trouble with I could choose an opponent that plays like that. For the first video it will probably be the best that I'm able to record in Decembers league and tournament matches.

My blog

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 05:07 

It's been a busy week traveling for work. But I managed to get in two training sessions at the CTTB club in Barcelona. I enjoy visiting tt clubs when traveling and in this one I've always had a warm welcome. Really recommend CTTB if you visit Barcelona.

I've uploaded a few highlight videos from the last league round here:

When warming up for the first match I tried just having fun, playing risky shots and being more aggressive. It seems this had a good effect later as I played confidently with little nerves. Maybe on to something here :)

This weekend the league continues with two matches in Trondheim.

My blog

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 16:20 
The King

Ndragon wrote:
magnuseffect wrote:
I've uploaded another shorter edit of my game vs the no 1 player on the same team. I probably would have needed a more active forehand in this match: https://youtu.be/-6vKiRLVoAs

Your FH alone is entertaining, but also the modern defence game is just so so nice to watch and you look really good doing it. Well played my man! Your opponent looked so darn good as well, super consistent and with high quality too
The forehand could have been more active, however the major thing you could improve is the height and placement of your chops. Too many shots end up too high (already jump up at your bat so the ball gets a high curve and bounce).

For the placement, vary the placement more and try to place the chops closer to the table edge. The attacker seems to play decent but that's partially because he doesn't have to work hard, he just has to wait for the half height ball around the center of the table.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 05:48 

Elvis56 wrote:
The forehand could have been more active, however the major thing you could improve is the height and placement of your chops. Too many shots end up too high (already jump up at your bat so the ball gets a high curve and bounce).

For the placement, vary the placement more and try to place the chops closer to the table edge. The attacker seems to play decent but that's partially because he doesn't have to work hard, he just has to wait for the half height ball around the center of the table.

Spot on! The lack of quality on chops is why I can't rely on defense alone against safe opponents. Unless i attack more with forehand they can just wait for the short and high chops. Improving the chop would make a huge difference in my game with more easy pushes to attack or topspins that can be countered. Its a mix of technique and positioning issues and being tentative in matches. Its like I'm happy just to return the ball to the middle of the table, putting no pressure on the opponent. I should risk more with better length and placement.

My blog

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 05:47 

magnuseffect wrote:
Interesting things happening these days. In Sweden the pro-series just started: https://www.svenskbordtennis.com/Nyheter/Pingisnytt/proseriesonsdag/ and the Norwegian federation cryptically writes on its web site that it next Wednesday will make a "Presentation of a project that will delight everyone in table tennis family and many others! "

Finally Waldner Cup is announced! Made a separate topic about it here: https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=38790

The Norwegian federation informed us about it earlier this year in an internal meeting, It was supposed to take place this December in Oslo but its been hard getting a go ahead from China as they keep travel to a minimum. Seems they are aiming for July 2022 now. Can't wait to see this live and hope it will boost norwegian tt.

My blog

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021, 04:09 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Some good fun to watch in those highlights!

You look to have a lot of fitness, darting around there like a rabbit :lol: compared to my lumbering cow style, definitely!

I see a lot of the younger defenders do that frenzied dashing after balls. But then you get an older guy like ctchetinnine who appears to have much less speed and agility... yet he can still chop and hang with the young attackers. Is his read of the game so developed that it seems he doesn't need to be as quick, or his shots are just a higher quality that limit the power of his opponents return? Both I'd imagine

Do you ever play any games where you get totally worked over... have you running in and out, in and out... and at the end of it, just think wtf am I even doing this!? :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2021, 21:47 

skilless_slapper wrote:
Some good fun to watch in those highlights!

You look to have a lot of fitness, darting around there like a rabbit :lol: compared to my lumbering cow style, definitely!

I see a lot of the younger defenders do that frenzied dashing after balls. But then you get an older guy like ctchetinnine who appears to have much less speed and agility... yet he can still chop and hang with the young attackers. Is his read of the game so developed that it seems he doesn't need to be as quick, or his shots are just a higher quality that limit the power of his opponents return? Both I'd imagine

Do you ever play any games where you get totally worked over... have you running in and out, in and out... and at the end of it, just think wtf am I even doing this!? :lol:

Thanks! Yeah I have to make up for my chopping skills by running around the court :D It's good exercise and I'm doing a bit of strength and mobility training to keep up.

Ctchetinnine (just copied your spelling here not bothering to look it up, hehe) is a great example of how far technique and anticipation can get you. I think its also a matter of using tactics that plays into your strengths and keeping the game simple. He also has an effective attack, even if its not very hard.

Yes, there are some opponents (some of them teammates) that just moves me around, slow looping, pushing to backhand, blocking my loops and generally just chilling.. Very annoying :)

My blog

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2021, 05:06 

The league games at the beginning of December was played just in time before all competitions were shut down the week after. We played the two bottom teams and won both matches. With no foreign players and some sickness for the other teams, it's looking like we have a good chance at promotion to the first national league next season. Under normal circumstances, it's too tough, but would be fun to try. If the level stays like it is now we would likely not win any matches but wouldn't be completely destroyed :)

Uploaded some highlights from the matches. The Para team consists of the Norwegian Para national players, pretty impressive what they can do even if they were missing their best player this time.

Looks like I’ll have to go most of December and January with little tt training now that tournaments and training for adults have been canceled. Trying to stay in shape. In the meantime I have registered for the European Veterans 2022 in Rimini, Italy. Its in June/July so lets hope things are back to normal then.

My blog

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2022, 08:10 

Quick update:

Played the first tournament in a while in February with so so results. Forehand wasn't working and chops are still too high.

I've uploaded a full match here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DlRl1ihETk

This match (but from a different camera angle) was uploaded to OSAI which I mentioned in a previous post. I got a very detailed report and will probably make a separate topic a bout this soon.

Also uploaded the usual highlights:

Next week we have the last league games of the season.

My blog

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 07:32 

Tested positive on C19 shortly after my last post and unfortunately couldn't play the league matches. Our team ended up in second place with the same number of points as the winners but with a worse match quota. Have started training again and trying to get back in shape. In the meanwhile, we have published the official website for the European veterans 2023: https://www.evc2023.com/.

Hoping to see some of you there!

My blog

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 02:03 

Played another tournament a few weeks ago and I've realized (again) that for my offensive game to work I need to be actively looking to attack. When I'm passively just playing defence my offence doesn't work. This typically happens if I play someone that I think I can beat playing defence. Then they start landing topspins, I try to switch up my game but since my offence isn't warmed up I keep missing.

After the first loss of the day, I played more aggressive. Missed a lot in the first sets, but then my forehand started working. Playing actively also doesn't seem to hurt my defence, but as any modern defender knows the tricky part is finding the right balance : )

Uploaded another highlights video.

My blog

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 07:52 

I've made good progress over the last weeks. Playing more freely improves shot quality. At least after getting warmed up and I prefer missing a bit more than being tentative and passive.

A few technical things I'm working on at the moment:

Backhand chop:
Improve chop quality and consistency with higher racket speed and thinner contact to generate my own spin and not be as affected by incoming spin.

To do this I've found a few things to work:
- Starting the backswing later, right before the chop improves racket speed and quality compared to when the racket just waits at the top of the stroke.
- Relax the wrist (keeping it neutral) and move mainly the forearm (using tricep) for better consistency and thinner hits.
- And as always keeping the bat high makes it easier to receive those hard or unexpected high bounce loops.

Serve receive:
- Holding the bat higher improves push receives

Forehand:
- More compact stroke when in rallies, I have a tendency to miss after 2-3 loops and this helps.

Played a good match against a player rated about 600 points above me in a tournament two weeks ago. He is more of a control player than a hard hitter so we usually have some good rallies. This was my best match against him so far.

Uploaded the full match in short form here: https://youtu.be/UiSrQpOVYac

My blog

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 21:04 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: TTR-Killer
magnuseffect wrote:
Played a good match against a player rated about 600 points above me in a tournament two weeks ago. He is more of a control player than a hard hitter so we usually have some good rallies. This was my best match against him so far.

Uploaded the full match in short form here: https://youtu.be/UiSrQpOVYac

Great match! Very nice to watch :up: :up:

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 23:02 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
The thing that struck me whilst watching that match (I am assuming that you were in the yellow and black), is that you move very easily. But you seem to waste some energy. You fall back too early and too far, and then have to move back in, and the opponent takes advantage. Also, there were several repeated exchanges, with you sending back nice out-swerving shots from way back on your FH. But the other guy got used to it, and you gave him time (because of the distance) to punish those shots. I know that modern defence tends to lead to this play, but I think you could really benefit from staying a little closer to the table, especially when the opponent is not forcing you back.

I wouldn't like to meet you in a Veteran's match though. I'm probably just jealous because I can't move like that at all now. ;)

PostPosted: 06 May 2022, 06:40 

v100ev wrote:
Great match! Very nice to watch :up: :up:

Thanks! Wish I used my backhand topspin a bit more like you, Its a nice surprise for the opponent :)

My blog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next