OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 06 May 2022, 06:53 

darucla wrote:
The thing that struck me whilst watching that match (I am assuming that you were in the yellow and black), is that you move very easily. But you seem to waste some energy. You fall back too early and too far, and then have to move back in, and the opponent takes advantage. Also, there were several repeated exchanges, with you sending back nice out-swerving shots from way back on your FH. But the other guy got used to it, and you gave him time (because of the distance) to punish those shots. I know that modern defence tends to lead to this play, but I think you could really benefit from staying a little closer to the table, especially when the opponent is not forcing you back.

I wouldn't like to meet you in a Veteran's match though. I'm probably just jealous because I can't move like that at all now. ;)

Thanks! Yeah that's me, moving around a lot. At some age, it will get hard, but I just lost to a 67 year old at training today who still moves better than most players at any age, so that's hopeful : ) But you are right I think I should be able to win more points with less effort. By improving the serve return and chop I should be able to stay closer to the table. Now I'm used to jumping back expecting a hard loop.

And for the forehand hook shots its a habit I have that I sometimes overdo. In some situations it would be better to just counterloop or fish normally. Some of the players i struggle with actually don't need to move much they just never miss and I cant hit through them :)

My blog

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2022, 03:32 

Played a couple of tournaments in May. Decent results but still struggling to play well under pressure.

One of the tournaments was the National Veterans and I've uploaded some highlights:

The doubles players in the intro are part of a Norwegian team of celebrities/comedians that started an online tv series about them learning tt and playing in the lowest leagues. We played them in doubles and the producer told us not to go easy on them as it would be boring : ).

Just two weeks now until the European Veterans Championship starts in Italy. I probably have the most to gain by practising serves, so I am focusing on this now.

From the players I've talked to veteran results vary a lot depending on the draw since so few players are seeded. At least for now, I haven't seen any well known names in my age group.

My blog

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2022, 00:59 

Quick update on my way to Italy and the European veterans championship: The draw was published today and I have a good player from Estonia in my group who is world ranked around 500 (not sure if its up to date).The group stage starts on Tuesday morning. Will post some updates here.

Also got a new video out yesterday.
https://youtu.be/I3Y_MC8uFIY

My blog

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2022, 07:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

@magnuseffect

Dear Sir,
May me ask a question about the current Italian Veteran Champs 2022.
-- Do they have racket control for this event ?
-- What testing instruments do they employ?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022, 16:14 

Had a good training at the venue yesterday. The courts are decently sized (not enough for lobbing). It was a bit humid and some disturbing bright lights that annoyed the players doing forehand high toss serves. For me I guess its an advantage since I mostly backhand server and humid is good for pimples : )

igorponger wrote:
@magnuseffect

Thanks.

I'll let you know if I see any controls, doubt they would do that in the group stage, but maybe later in the playoffs.

My blog

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 01:52 

Played singles and doubles groups today. Uploaded an unedited match video here for now:

Will write more later when time.

My blog

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 17:13 

Nice win!
Liked your opponent too. A lot of sportsmanship as he helped you with the barriers.

I really like your forehand with this much sidespin. Great shots!
Your backhand is very safe, your movement is is very smooth, but I guess at some important points it could be a bit more more nasty.

In overall your a great player with an agility like a cat and I enjoy watching your games.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 19:17 

freshman wrote:
Nice win!
Liked your opponent too. A lot of sportsmanship as he helped you with the barriers.

I really like your forehand with this much sidespin. Great shots!
Your backhand is very safe, your movement is is very smooth, but I guess at some important points it could be a bit more more nasty.

In overall your a great player with an agility like a cat and I enjoy watching your games.

Thanks a lot! Played well yesterday, particularly on the forehand side : ). Lauri was very nice, even offered to move the barriers further back!

Backhand was consistent yesterday but its often a bit short and high over the net, something that will be punished by players with a big forehand. Need to relax wrist and hit more forward and under the ball.

My blog

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 19:18 

Another match from the group stage yesterday

My blog

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2022, 01:07 

Nice Game, too.
Never had a doubt that you would win.

I noticed that you had the same problem that I have against a lefthander in my club.
It‘s much more difficult to get the return and the second ball in his backhand, compared to a regular righthanded player.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2022, 17:27 

freshman wrote:
Nice Game, too.
Never had a doubt that you would win.

I noticed that you had the same problem that I have against a lefthander in my club.
It‘s much more difficult to get the return and the second ball in his backhand, compared to a regular righthanded player.

Yes exactly! The chops always goes right back to their forehand, sidespin makes it go diagonally. Luckily I warmed up with a left hander before the match.

My blog

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2022, 17:34 

Yesterday was a rest day from normal play. A TTX tournament was held in the main playing venue https://www.evc2022.it/en/the-event/ttx-tournaments. Haven't tried it before but thought it would be fun and fit well with my style of play.

Ended up in 3rd place after loosing in the semis against the winner who never missed either on defense or offense.

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2022, 14:43 

Had some good matches yesterday. Here is the round of 32

igorponger wrote:
@magnuseffect

Thanks.

Haven't seen any testing intruments, but the umpires inspect the rackets before the match and one of our players rackets was not approved due to "glue remains" on the rubber..

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2022, 16:53 

Live stream for next match starting around 9.30 CET

https://youtu.be/abv9A78SpzI

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

My blog

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2022, 18:43 

:up: for your win in round of 32.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next