OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2022, 17:22 

Blade: DHS 08x FL
FH: H3 Neo
BH: P3aV 1.5
charmander defender wrote:
My two cents.If you have been using P1V in 1.0,which is by no means so easy as it may seem, why don't you stay with P1v in 0.5,which is far more controllable?...... when you change the pip,the first thing you notice is that you lose consistency a lot .

Also,maybe the blade is too fast for you ATM, later when you can upgrade it will be a good choice.I use only P1V in 0 5 and 1.0 in a defensive slow blade and sometimes the chops go long ,especially on slow spinless balls.
Been deciding if to settle on P1V or FL 3.While testing it was difficult to get consistency as both rubbers and sponges are so different.Do not be afraid of P1V,try it in 0 .5 and your confidence will increase.Imo,it is much harder to play against P1V than for example ,P4 or FL3.....the most difficult route,if you have at least 4 sessions per week to train,yields the best results.

I appreciate the feedback! I felt my consistency went up after switching to P4. I felt more comfortable with P4 at the table than P1R when I played during the doubles games.

However, I will take your advice and I'll try to get myself a sheet of P1V 0.5 when I get paid soon. I'll probably put it on my spare VKM with H3 neo on the FH then do drill more with uni clubmates to prepare for the next tourney in April. It's probably wiser to switch and as a plus, I would have matching equipment as my doubles partner! I'll try to get more practice sessions in while balancing term papers and research projects!

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2022, 23:01 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Moonstar wrote:
charmander defender wrote:
My two cents.If you have been using P1V in 1.0,which is by no means so easy as it may seem, why don't you stay with P1v in 0.5,which is far more controllable?...... when you change the pip,the first thing you notice is that you lose consistency a lot .

Also,maybe the blade is too fast for you ATM, later when you can upgrade it will be a good choice.I use only P1V in 0 5 and 1.0 in a defensive slow blade and sometimes the chops go long ,especially on slow spinless balls.
Been deciding if to settle on P1V or FL 3.While testing it was difficult to get consistency as both rubbers and sponges are so different.Do not be afraid of P1V,try it in 0 .5 and your confidence will increase.Imo,it is much harder to play against P1V than for example ,P4 or FL3.....the most difficult route,if you have at least 4 sessions per week to train,yields the best results.

I appreciate the feedback! I felt my consistency went up after switching to P4. I felt more comfortable with P4 at the table than P1R when I played during the doubles games.

However, I will take your advice and I'll try to get myself a sheet of P1V 0.5 when I get paid soon. I'll probably put it on my spare VKM with H3 neo on the FH then do drill more with uni clubmates to prepare for the next tourney in April. It's probably wiser to switch and as a plus, I would have matching equipment as my doubles partner! I'll try to get more practice sessions in while balancing term papers and research projects!

I concur with CH Def.P1R gives much more rotation and variety in the game.The trade off is that you need to be patient , train a lot and get to know the difficult shots with P1R.It is very unforgiving, yes,but the opponent will have a hard time once you get to master the rubber .You need to be consistent enough as the consistency with P4 is much easier to get so with P4 do not expect difficult balls sent to your opponent as you would with P1R

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 00:49 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
You can watch this guy using P4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCmjsvMrbE&t=131s

I don't think his chops and variety are better than what P1V can offer .

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2022, 00:58 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
P4 with Grubba all + : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56VqFqbm7A

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2022, 10:53 

Not a serious game analysis montage, but some humorous and fun highlights from practice games in the last 4 months to boost my confidence a little.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HDn9B-lUAQ8?feature=share

I have been using the Nexy JSH blade, H3 Neo, and Curl p1r 1.0. I think I've been getting in a bunch of practice in the mornings, at least 2 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on the weekends. Tactic-wise, I've been developing a twiddle backhand block/punch block for disrupting rhythm during a chopping rally and working harder on forehand. I tried chopping with forehand (can't do it yet) but since there is a tournament in a couple weeks, I've been trying to solidify my forehand defense (fish-->counter) and I'm sort of getting there. I also have been practicing to attack chance balls. With the other chopper on our university club team, we practice LP techniques close to the tables at least for 10 minutes during our practices, so that really helped with developing touch at the table.

I noticed that I usually tend to loop loose balls with my backhand and end the point with a forehand smash. I'm slowly getting to connecting my BH and FH sides of my game and hopefully I can use these new tactics that I practiced at the next tourney.

I'm not sure if its the honeymoon phase with the blade (it has been a month of training with it), but I feel more confident in using blocks/counters in my game now than I did with the VKM/O. Well, time to get back to more practice and finishing up my final term in uni. Until next time!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2022, 15:37 

April Tourney videos!!!

+1 more match that I'll edit and post soon

I feel like I improved a lot in the last 2 months of training/practice at least 3 times a week. I definitely improved my serve return and tactics. Technique-wise, I had trouble with getting some forehands on the table because I tend to flat-hit (so either I get more consistent with my flat hits or I start working on fitting the forehand loop into my away from the table patterns). I also tended to get nervous towards the second half of individual games in the set. I think it's because I'm forgetting to take deeper breaths or something but I get super nervous or shaky and start missing shots. Also, I had multiple instances where I just have zero footwork, and my friends that also competed in the tourney pointed this out to me. I also need to get lower!!! I notice I'm almost standing up even though mentally I feel like I'm squatting a little bit, I guess time to exaggerate. Another thing to work on was nutrition because I was cramping by the 4th set I had to play (I'm not sure if it's because I had to wait almost an hour before I had to play another set or if I didn't have enough sodium or electrolytes in my system). It was also nice to hear better players sit in and watch my games and compliment my form and saying I look like I play better than 914 USATT :D . Otherwise, I definitely felt a lot better this time around and am looking forward to next month's tourney!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 16:46 

I haven't been able to play for the last month bc of testing positive for Covid-19, but after recovering, I played in my first table tennis league event! I didn't really get much time to prepare and train, so I've only used my setup (Defensive Classic, H3Neo, Spectol S1) for literally two sessions (not optimal, I know!). I'm trying to attempt chopping with short pips again and I've had good success, but I struggle with consistency with some pushes (so chops are okayish, and pushes are kinda iffy). Despite not getting any practice, I've done better in league matches than I have in previous tournaments, taking a game or two off of other players instead of losing 0-3 ALL the time. It was also nice for some more experienced players to give me pointers after everyone was done with their league games.

While still playing a bit passive, there are still times when I try to play aggressively and try to open up with a backhand or forehand. I kinda like the "simplicity" of short pips chopping where basically everything is a side-underspin return, which still created difficulty for some opponents, more than when I use long pips. Although I miss the control of long pips, short pips are kinda fun but winning is also fun so I don't know.

I'm way too tired to edit them into highlights or cut-down footage, so here is some match footage!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2022, 07:36 

The fall league at my table tennis club started and I just came off of a couple weeks hiatus because I took a vacation to celebrate my birthday recently.

Despite the lack of recent practice, I felt I played the best I ever had during this week's league. Everything felt proper: footwork, technique, mental strength, tactics.

I also enjoy my new setup that I've had several training sessions with: Nexy JSH, Triple Double Extra, and Do Knuckle. I've had better success with close to the table techniques, especially the side swipe to the short forehand. I've been trying to be more aggressive at the table to demonstrate potential punishes instead of always pushing everything.

I included short highlights in the beginning of the videos if you don't want to watch the whole thing. :D

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 15:53 

League footage a week before the tournament this Saturday.
I didn't get too many forehand loops/counters in, but I felt I was somewhat consistent with my hook forehand and got some decent forehand chops. I tried to be more aggressive with Do Knuckle (MP), using a flick/sideswipe on short backspin/no-spin balls to the forehand. The last game was interesting as I had never played a long pips player before, so it was a very interesting game to play.
I think after a few weeks of practice and experimenting, high-toss serves (BH and FH) and hook serve variations have made it into my game tactics. I was able to only get one 4 hr practice session before Saturday's tournament because I have work. :/

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2023, 18:28 

Almost a year later and I'm still 950~ USATT, but I think I've improved a little bit (or I'd like to think so) since the last time I posted here on my blog.

Playing a couple times a week, including a weekly league, I think I play around 10-15 hours a week. Most of the time I spend in open play at my club, I do match practice and serve practice with a few practice partners. After taking a couple private lessons with Tyrese Knight, I spend most of open play training everything I learned in the lesson (BH chop-FH counter, BH chop-FH loop off push, opening off of dead/back spin push). I also spend a bit of practice on match tactics like third/fifth ball and other multi-ball setups.

I played in the Sacramento Open a few months ago and earned points that got me back to 950~ from 800~. The matches weren't too difficult and I got to play a match in a dance room with mirrors, which was bizarre.

This league I tried to include more forehand counters in my game, in addition to chopping. Also, I was trying the LP sideswipe on backspin serves, followed up by a BH drive, which I see Ma Te do a lot. Towards the last 3 weeks of the league, I made a decision to switch my playstyle a little bit more suitable for my height since a lot of my idols that I normally model my game off of are 6 feet tall (Ma Te, Ruwen Filus, Gionis,...) but I don't have as much reach as they do since I'm 5'6" (about 168cm) so I'm going back to modeling my game closer to Hashimoto and Sato since they are about my height and I enjoy play a persistent chopping game.

I placed 3rd in the season-long points system at my club's summer league and I posted a compilation of my points from the 10 week summer league. (The first one has music, the second video does not)

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2023, 20:10 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hey Moonstar,

I see you did the Sacramento Tourney a few months ago. PM me when you go to the next Sac tourney. I live in Sac area and sometimes cause trouble in Bay Area clubs once every month or two.

I sometimes go to 888 for tourneys, usually the team tourneys, which I did in May 2023... and I think you did that one too.

Coach Brandon Lee opened up a Korean restaurant and I think he doesn't actively coach any more... did he coach you before he left? I know another 1700+ teen LP chopper he coached and he really started to improve.

I will be at Swan Ping Pong this sat for the u2350 teams tourney, our team will likely advance and get KO'd in knockout stage 1 or 2.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter