OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 18:36 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
Attachment:
Forehand Topspin against Block Left.gif
NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Okay, this one is a little addictive

Attachment:
One One.gif

Maybe you should play around with the handedness of the figures? Most people aren't righties looping to lefties....

Okay Laj, I always grant wishes...

Attachment:
Forehand Topspin against Block Left.gif

But the players still have opposite handedness... they should have the same handedness....

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 19:34 

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
This weekend I played in a usatt tournament for the first time since June 2019. I recorded one match, with a cameo appearance by my bench coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKzPckYxuA

I believe that Ben's best service action right now is this tomahawk https://youtu.be/aWKzPckYxuA?t=38 Does anyone care to guess why I believe it's his best/most correct serve?

Could it be that his opponent had trouble reading the spin for the tomahawk (I couldn't either)? To me, the serve that Brett highlighted seemed to have backspin, but not from its reaction when it hit the opponent's bat. The spin on the other serves Ben used seemed quite easy to pick.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 19:46 

Brett Clarke wrote:
maurice101 wrote:
Dr Pivot, a very nice backhand.
I looked at your swing with very slow motion.
If you really want to change it to incorporate Bretts delayed swing concept I suggest the following.
You could try delaying the backswing till you are rising up.
Squat and do not bring the bat back. Just spot the ball with the bat.
Rise and backswing.
This would allow a much better, shorter and faster whip action and you would gain a lot more power from the body. Better body mechanics, more power and spin and MUCH less effort.
You could try this concept and I would love if you report back to the forum your results.

I got a theory about Bretts concept.
I think in the next 10 years this concept will become more evident in male pro table tennis.
I feel that Brett's latest thinking, in my opinion, is ahead of what most current pros do.

The reason I think is that if you do the delay the power and swing speed goes up will a shorter swing.

In the modern game many times you do not have enough time to do a longer stroke.
I predict more pros will add more of the delayed backswing to all strokes and stay closer to the table.

I would be interested in Brett's views on this topic.

In relation to the kinetic chain stuff I've been talking about, consider this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iUPXiLu-08

And what about this one for demonstrating the action of the right hip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmek6Ey9v8

It's a bit of a Blast from the Past, as Brett posted it just on 4 years ago to accompany the LTT87 video.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 20:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

elbowed wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
This weekend I played in a usatt tournament for the first time since June 2019. I recorded one match, with a cameo appearance by my bench coach.

I believe that Ben's best service action right now is this tomahawk https://youtu.be/aWKzPckYxuA?t=38 Does anyone care to guess why I believe it's his best/most correct serve?

Could it be that his opponent had trouble reading the spin for the tomahawk (I couldn't either)? To me, the serve that Brett highlighted seemed to have backspin, but not from its reaction when it hit the opponent's bat. The spin on the other serves Ben used seemed quite easy to pick.

I would have said this is Ben's most correct serve even if the opponent had smashed them all for clean winners.

Why?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 20:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

elbowed wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
maurice101 wrote:
Dr Pivot, a very nice backhand.
I looked at your swing with very slow motion.
If you really want to change it to incorporate Bretts delayed swing concept I suggest the following.
You could try delaying the backswing till you are rising up.
Squat and do not bring the bat back. Just spot the ball with the bat.
Rise and backswing.
This would allow a much better, shorter and faster whip action and you would gain a lot more power from the body. Better body mechanics, more power and spin and MUCH less effort.
You could try this concept and I would love if you report back to the forum your results.

I got a theory about Bretts concept.
I think in the next 10 years this concept will become more evident in male pro table tennis.
I feel that Brett's latest thinking, in my opinion, is ahead of what most current pros do.

The reason I think is that if you do the delay the power and swing speed goes up will a shorter swing.

In the modern game many times you do not have enough time to do a longer stroke.
I predict more pros will add more of the delayed backswing to all strokes and stay closer to the table.

I would be interested in Brett's views on this topic.

In relation to the kinetic chain stuff I've been talking about, consider this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iUPXiLu-08

And what about this one for demonstrating the action of the right hip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmek6Ey9v8

It's a bit of a Blast from the Past, as Brett posted it just on 4 years ago to accompany the LTT87 video.

One of my favourite videos.

Today I watch it with a different understanding than before. If you slow it down at this point https://youtu.be/yrmek6Ey9v8?t=82 you'll see that this slap is (what I'm calling) a theoretically optimal tt forehand.

His left knee turns into face his right leg (which spins his hips), then he pushes hard with his right leg. Only after pushing with the right leg does he start the backswing. His hip is turning forward whilst his hand is going backwards.

I've said this before...if you are wondering how much of your backswing is caught up in your forward turn, all you have to do is examine your racket head speed at the end of the backswing. If you see whip and a blurry racket at normal video speed, then it's highly likely that some of your backswing was against your bodies push (bh) or rotation (fh).

If you watch this guy at normal speed https://youtu.be/yrmek6Ey9v8?t=82 you can't even see his hand at the end of the backswing.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 21:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
But the players still have opposite handedness... they should have the same handedness....

I was trying to be funny. I don't have right handed vs right handed gifs. It takes about a day to make one of these gifs, so it's not going to happen now. I have lots more gifs but all left vs right, or right vs left.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 14:53 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS H3
BH: Donic Barracuda
Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

Looks to me like his bat speed and spin is highest in this serve, mostly due to larger and quicker hand/bat/wrist movement, with the wrist movement back and front swing happening as he swings forward to strike the ball. I'm pretty familiar with this serve as I do it myself.

Some very nice rallies and play, can see the influence of the things Brett teaches for sure. I agree that the forehand pivot footwork/leg work needs to be more pronounced and positive on the pivot, i see lack of forward power due to lack of good hip rotation.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 18:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
BRS wrote:

I like the consistency of your BH, especially the down-the-line switch. When I try to do this in a match, I miss it 80% of the time.

Brett Clarke wrote:

Because it does not drift?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 18:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

An attempt to keep my elbow more steady.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2021, 11:23 

Dr.Pivot wrote:
An attempt to keep my elbow more steady.

One of Brett's comments was: "If you are finishing at eye level, your upper arm is in play too much. Keep the backhand below the chin as a rough guide." I think this is still an issue on some shots.

One way to tackle this is to stop your swing earlier (check LTT78 to see what i mean).

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.38.29.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.38.29.png [ 576.81 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2021, 16:18 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Look at your legs at ball contact in slow motion.

Are you squatting. No.
Are you rising up by straightening your legs. No
Have you delayed the backswing till you rise up. No

I suggest to get these 3 Bretts fundamental aspects of the stroke working before looking at the elbow position.

My latest thinking of elbow position in the backhand topspin is to spot the ball with the elbow position further back and down with the bat facing more upright.

During the whip action the elbow goes up 45 degrees forward to support the short whip action as the body is rising up. Everything is lined up in the direction of the ball flight. (more reliable) Like a martial art short punch with added finger whip action for spin.

So the elbow is not stationary or does it move sideways to the right.

Comments welcome.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 21:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think the delay adds a lot of sharpness to the swing and is probably the key factor for a close-to-the-table backhand. I try to experiment with it when I practice. It is hard to incorporate a large body swing into a short-range shot, though, and most of my BHs are close-to-the table.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 11:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When Chinese (that all play with H3 on their FH) smash high balls, they always twiddle the racket. Why?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2021, 21:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Dr.Pivot wrote:
When Chinese (that all play with H3 on their FH) smash high balls, they always twiddle the racket. Why?

Sticky rubber holds the ball too long to smash well. Also hard thick sponge slows the ball down because it makes it harder to get the ball into the wood. If you want faster and less spinny smashes, you want to smash with softer sponge that gets to the wood. Other wise, you are better of playing quasi-topspin smashes.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2021, 08:18 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Hi Brett,

I had an interesting thought today. Its about lean manufacturing and is used by Tesla and Monrow Associates to redesign products. (PS Tesla investment up 100% since I last saw you)

One principle of this design process is to reduce the number of parts in a product. This leads to reduced costs, its much easier to manufacture and really increases reliability.

So how does this apply to table tennis? Can we reduce the number of parts in a stroke? Will this lead to more reliable results from a stroke. Can we teach the correct technique by using less instructions to get the required form?

Looking at my new backhand that I have sent you, I have eliminated the backswing of the arm. So there is one complete component missing in this stroke. Its as simple as a backhand can get but has huge power and good spin.

To teach this backhand I use the following.

As soon as you know it is a backhand squat.
At the same time spot the ball with the bat facing up and close to the body and elbow closer and lower than a normal backhand.
Delay forward swing as long as possible.
Straighten legs to allow the body to up and forward.
THEN straighten arm and allow wrist to whip back.
Contact ball 45 degrees.
Stop the hand to allow forward wrist flick that results in a hand shake at the end of the stroke.

Comments welcome. I will post a video of this stroke soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546 ... 568  Next