OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Aug 2020, 14:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 09:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Marder 1mm
BH: Dornenglanz ox
New Olympic Regulations Ratified

The limit of a National Olympic Committee to two athletes in singles’ events at the forthcoming 2012 Olympic Games, proposed earlier in the week by the Annual General Meeting of the International Table Tennis Federation, was ratified by the ITTF Board of Directors on Friday 28th May 2010.

The total number of entries acceptable will be 86 men and 86 women, just as in Beijing in 2008. A maximum of three players from a National Olympic will be eligible; two for singles and three for team events.

Athletes who qualify must fulfill the requirements of the Olympic Charter and be approved by their National Olympic Committee; in addition all athletes must comply with the eligibility criteria established by the International Table Tennis Federation for Olympic competitions.

Seventy-two (72) athletes per gender will qualify as follows:
28 ITTF World Ranking, with a maximum of two (2) players per NOC
40 Continental Qualification
2 Final World Qualification Event
1 Tripartite Commission Invitation Place
1 Host NOC direct entry
72 Total

The remaining quota of 14 athletes per gender (team quota) will be used to complete the teams if necessary.

The Final World Qualification Tournament may qualify more than two (2) players if the Team Quota (14 places) is not fully utilised.

More details for qualification system will follow.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 09:45 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

The London trial will likely be just as fierce and intense as the Moscow trial for China.

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 14:13 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Dr Neubauer Matador
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH: DMS Scandal 1.2
Ha ha ha, the trials for the Chinese team will be more difficult than the actual Olympic competition. :D

FH Rubber: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH Rubber: DMS Scandal 1.2

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 01:07 
Double Dipper

dwruck wrote:
Ha ha ha, the trials for the Chinese team will be more difficult than the actual Olympic competition. :D

This almost seems like a bad idea in my opinion. Would you really feel like you earned an Olympic medal if you took Bronze just because the Chinese couldn't have more entries? This is effectively eliminating a lot of the top players in the world from Olympic competition. And thanks to the previous rule, they can't compete for another country without a huge time restriction.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 04:59 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I agree, it seems like a bad rule, but from my recollection it seems like this type of rule is in effect for other Olympic sports. I think that there's always a limitation on the number of participants, but I don't know what it was previously.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 05:46 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

dwruck wrote:
I agree, it seems like a bad rule, but from my recollection it seems like this type of rule is in effect for other Olympic sports. I think that there's always a limitation on the number of participants, but I don't know what it was previously.

+1.
Yes, I think the Olympics committee continually tries to make different sports competitive for everyone and wants to minimize domination from any one country.
For the winter Olympics, women's ice hockey is dominated by U.S.A. and Canada; the Olympics committee is thinking of deleting the sports altogether. Maybe we should be thankful they are not proposing this for TT!

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 06:02 
Super User

dwruck wrote:

The Olympic Charter allows 3 competitors per NOC for individual events.

If the IOC had wanted 2 only, they would have changed the Olympic Charter. Which they didn't.

Hence claims like "the IOC wanted it so" seem to be baseless to me.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 08:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Then I'd have to say that this change is really misguided. They should just stick with the standard for other sports.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 22:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I guess the change is mainly significant because they are changing the number of participants from each country, to a number lower than the number of medals. If there were already 4 medals, then a non-Chinese would be already be receiving a medal regardless, so getting one less may not be that bad...

The Chinese are still going to win the Gold, which is the real winner and I'm sure they'll see it that way... so I'm not sure how significant it is who gets the other medals... if it's really that important, give them all a medal, with the position that they finished printed on there...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 02:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Maybe they should cut it to one player per country in the individual event and keep three players in the team event.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Nah, I don't think you quite got my point....all I'm saying is that it's just a number. If you really want only the best players players to win, you may have to increase it to 10 per country, as no doubt China has such a huge depth, more of them deserve to be playing... so what is the right number?

I'm still again lowering the number, don't get me wrong...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 15:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

speedplay wrote:
but I strongly feel this is a step in the wrong direction as it will affect a lot of players. I wonder how far down the ITTF ranking we have to look to find the last entry, if no more then 2 players from each country can play. I would rather increase the number to 4 players then to reduce it to 2 players from each nation.

Yes I agree...

I wonder how this change actually affect the total number of player?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 15:50 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
I wonder how this change actually affect the total number of player?

No change in the total. I think it just allows players from more associations to qualify.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 16:50 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Adham wrote this in an article in China Daily:

"When the ITTF proposed a reduction in the number of players in the singles at the Olympic Games and World Championships it was NOT designed as a move to curb China's dominance. It was to create opportunities for the unexpected to happen. To give hope to the underdog and, of course, to make our sport more exciting."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2010- ... 952494.htm

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 21:38 
Double Dipper

mynamenotbob wrote:
Adham wrote this in an article in China Daily:

"When the ITTF proposed a reduction in the number of players in the singles at the Olympic Games and World Championships it was NOT designed as a move to curb China's dominance. It was to create opportunities for the unexpected to happen. To give hope to the underdog and, of course, to make our sport more exciting."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2010- ... 952494.htm

I hope one day I can become a president of a major association so I can boldface lie to the masses like they are all some kind of idiots.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!