OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 12:07 

Okay, I tried badminton shoes before and they were grippy. But I want to buy basketball shoes so anyone tried it before?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 12:14 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
If badminton shoes are too grippy for you, basketball shoes would be too heavy in my opinion. You could use a non-gum sole shoe if you don't want it too grippy. Running shoe perhaps..

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 12:40 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I've been using high top basketball shoes for years. I have to, because I have bad ankles and will roll them and give myself sprains very easily. I used to use cross training shoes but after a bad sprain switched.

Basketball shoes, while larger than other shoes in look, are quite light these days. While I'm sure they're not as light as a volleyball or badminton shoe, today's players demand a lot of support but light weight. Honestly, if you get a good pair they are as light as any pair of cross-trainer, for example. And they will provide significantly more support than a volleyball, badminton, or table tennis shoe, which is important if you have any kind of knee or back issues.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 03:33 

I've tried basketball shoes and I actually like them better. I'm in the process of purchasing some new ones right now because I've had the same ones for a few years and I've started playing basketball within the last couple months, so I figure I can sport them for both activities. I'm considering the air jordan fly wade's but I was hoping one of you guys might have some feedback for me before I purchase them because I want them to last for a while. Any advice or feedback would be great, thanks guys.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 22:28 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I've used Nike, Jordan and Adidas brands over the past few years and as long as you get the top level models they will be perfect for you, light enough and supportive enough to last for quite a while.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 00:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
These are not Basketball shoes or badminton or TT shoes. Not sure what they classify as, but all I can say is they are the best darn shoes I ever played TT in. So light, and just the right amount of grip, I really can't fault them. High enough to give good ankle support (for me, with a previously snapped achilles), but low enough to not feel awkward. I love 'em!

Attachments:
File comment: Fila Swyft
swyfts.jpg
swyfts.jpg [ 181.32 KiB | Viewed 6380 times ]

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 07:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Those look pretty slick. I used to have to wear high top basketball shoes. But now that I have to wear lace-up ankle braces on both feet (yeah, that's great for mobility) I can go with low-top shoes, so next time I need a new pair I'll probably still look at low cut basketball shoes, but also cross-training shoes and anything else that's light and made for quick cuts, like tennis.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 10:39 

Doesn't exactly answer your question but just a fun fact - THE best EVER pair of shoes used for table tennis I've had were adidas-made fencing shoes. Heavily abused nevertheless lasted for 2.5 years. I tried to find the same model afterwards but in the end went with cheap pair of regular table tennis shoes.

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 00:07 

IMO basketball shoes have the best grip, especially on smooth surfaces.

Right now you could get the Kobe 8 which has one of the best traction ever and is the lightest basketball shoe nike has made. or you could go for Adidas Crazy Light low-cuts.

I dont mind if a shoe feels heavy on the foot, it's not like it's gonna slow me down significantly. I want a shoe with traction that makes it almost impossible to slip or drag your foot while it's on the floor.

Yasaka Mark V [Backhand]

Secondary:
Globe 583 "Whirlwind"
This Space For Rent [Forehand]
Yasaka Mark V [Backhand]

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 01:51 

yes! basketball shoes use good for tennis, but you can to use running shoes to play tennis.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 14:52 
Super User

I can't play with t/t shoes as I lunge for the ball.

Rather than taking two short steps to the ball I prefer one very large lunge.

This increases the impact dramatically.

In tennis I wear walking shoes for the same reason and have to change them every 2-3 months otherwise I start to feel the impact when I lunge.

I have tried to play tabletennis with these shoes and the width,height off the ground and sheer weight of them mean I'm nearly completely flat footed.

I use those ultra-light Spalding shoes you can buy from K-mart for 40 dollars.

I sandpaper the sole down if I need extra grip.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 18:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Running shoes not that good for table tennis, grip might be Ok, but not much lateral support as all running generally done in a straight line with no sideways movement. Apparently it can destroy running shoes quicker too. Having said that, I retire my running shoes after 1,000km so am currently playing tt in Adidas salvation running shoes and had no trouble so far.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 20:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I still think that basketball shoes or cross training shoes are the best types of shoes. They give great arch support, are light, and are made for quick lateral movement.

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 05:23 

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm about to try some old school Adidas low top Volcano basketball shoes, Which seem as though they would be perfect because the tread is similar to tennis shoes yet they don't feel stiff and robust / bulky like modern tennis shoes (I tried New Balance 696 Tennis shoes and they felt like low top boots; very hard to move in).
I play allot on street tables. Regular TT shoes wear out too fast. I tried some classic Reebok NPC II RE tennis shoes and they were great but after a while I found them too tight in the toe box for my feet. It's really hard to find classic tennis shoes, but low top basketball shoes are common and seem almost the same. Better yet, they are better if they are modern rather than the opposite for tennis shoes. Low top basketball shoes have more of a softer feel yet with the hard sole to prevent ankle roll.
Before all of this I tried trail running shoes. The out sole is too soft.
So I'm on my 4th pair of shoes :headbang: I'm hoping low top basketball shoes are the answer for street TT. :topspin:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 04:11 

i use a support insole because most basketball shoes seem to have zero support. it properly supports the foot which corrects overpronation, evenly dispersesimpact through the legs, and reduces stress on the ankles, knees and hips.

i take out the insole that comes in the shoe because i feel like im sitting too high if i dont.

the nice part about these is that they are for support and not cushion so they are thin so i was able to keep wearing my normal size. the down side of mostinsoles mentioned above is that they are so thick that they throw off the fit of the shoe by either making a shoe that fits too tight or it causes your heel toslip because your heel is now sitting above the heel counter. making a shoe that fits too tight will cause you to go to a shoe thats too big which can causeall sorts of problems. If you want shoes you than go for Nike air jordan you can find its features here: https://fitfootpro.com/best-basketball- ... wide-feet/

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!