OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Gluing long pips OX
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 21:53 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

treetop wrote:
I was terrified the first several times I glued OX to a blade...

I have been using VOC glue lately, and had a similar reaction the first time I applied that glue on OX. I had taped it onto a roller first. A few seconds after spreading the glue, the surface was all bulges and dimples. Then one corner came loose and immediately rolled up half the sheet, I grabbed the roll to unwind it before the glue would set too bad, which then made me rip loose the other tape strips. Result: one unshapely red lump of rubber.

Luckily this was not an expensive sheet, or there might have been two desperados in the room.
;)

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 21:59 

1. Put glue on the blade and wait like 15
2. Put wax paper or a plastic sheet down on the blade
3. Drape the OX over the plastic sheet
4. Slowly remove the plastic sheet/ wax paper inch by inch while applying pressure/rolling out air

Never has failed me!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 18:51 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Hello guys! One of my teammates plays with OX just as I did earlier and we had a little chat yesterday complaining ourselves on how frickin often the OX sheets come loose from the blade. I always had trouble with this and I frickin hated it, especially on the edge where I put my index finger it always came loose the first or second practice and this is what made me switch to glue sheets, even though the feeling gets worse. I've even found that the sheet will come loose if you run your fingers across the pips (!) a little bit too hard.

I know most players prefer not to use glue sheets so my question to you is, what glue do you use? Do you have the same problems me and my teammates had/has?

What glue have the absolutely strongest bond when glueing OX LP?

PS: I've always been using Donic Vario Clean for all my rubbers but this have like I said been worthless when gluing OX.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 19:00 
The King

A good trick to prevent ox detaching from the blade in the index finger area: cut the sheet a bit wider than the blade and glue the corner to the side of the blade. Been doing that for years, works great. A less subtle approach would be to put edge tape over the ibex finger area.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 19:12 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Elvis56 wrote:
A good trick to prevent ox detaching from the blade in the index finger area: cut the sheet a bit wider than the blade and glue the corner to the side of the blade. Been doing that for years, works great. A less subtle approach would be to put edge tape over the ibex finger area.

Yeah this is a good tip actually, I've been using the edge tape trick for years as well which usually solves the index finger problem. Doesn't solve the problem with the sheet being loose in general though. Personally I just have to have the sheet 100% stuck at my blade, even if there's a 1-2mm area by the edge that've come loose I have to reglue the sheet, or else it will drive me crazy.

The strongest glue I've used lately is the Stiga Attach Power Glue but that is a nightmare to handle IMO and I haven't tried it on a OX sheet so doesn't know how that would work.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 19:20 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
auzcar wrote:
I know most players prefer not to use glue sheets so my question to you is, what glue do you use? Do you have the same problems me and my teammates had/has?

What glue have the absolutely strongest bond when glueing OX LP?

I use Palio waterbased-glue...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palio-Table-Ten ... 416f11a3d8

It holds rubbers very tightly, I haven't had any problems with bonding the ox. It's 100 times better than my old speed-gules, which I still have left in the closet.

BENEFITS OF PALIO

- strong bond
- not too strong to remove the rubbers
- easy to glue with no curling (like with the old speed glues)
- with small tube you can glue dozens of rubbers

Well, that's only new glue I have purchased, so I can't compare it to other glues. I have had teammates cursing with bad glue jobs - they are now unknown to me. :clap:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 22:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Elvis56 wrote:

Good tip, I like that! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 00:28 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks to someone else's advice here (can't remember who deserves the credit :oops: ) I use another method now, which work brilliantly for me. It's using a glue sheet, but not to attach it to the blade...

Take off just one side off the glue sheet... which leaves a fairly rigid sheet which is sticky just one one side. Lay the OX sheet on a flat surface so that's it's completely flat. Now put the glue sheet on there with the adhesive side on the pimple. Gently push it down with a roller. Now the combined sheet feels quite rigid and can easily be handled... similar to an inverted sheet.

Glue both the OX sheet and the blade like an inverted sheet, and when ready lay the rigid sheet onto the blade as usual. Then gently peel off the glue sheet. Since the glue sheet is only held on by the tips of the pimples, it comes off quite easily. THe glue sheet can be re-used for next time (put the cover back on the sticky side).

I've heard you talk up this method. It seems to make sense as far as adding some stability to the OX sheet. Quick question. Does the glue sheet effect the pimples at all when you take it off?

Thanks

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 00:35 
Super User

So far I have glued 4 OX sheets and clearly there is a preferred way to do it for me thus far.

Use a glue sheet. you get a nice thin layer that way. One nice perk is that one OX sheet I once pulled off a blade kept the glue sheet attached. So it gave it some rigidity that came in handy for slapping that rubber onto another blade. :clap:

My process is very similar to the video above except one very important change. Instead of slowly sliding out the wax paper and pressing it with his fingers (I do it exactly the way he does up until 5:16 in the video), I use the roller method to roll the sheet on the glue sheet. Above all else, must apply just a pinch of tension when rolling the rubber on. If you do this, you won't get any bubbles.

I've tried the roller method without tension and it doesn't work.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 00:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Maybe this is a new good idea to glue ox pips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUCI-jPIMf4

from Asdi in Indonesia :)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 00:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
You can add some rigidity to the ox lp with strips of low tack paper masking tape on top of the pips,makes gluing bubble/wrinkle free ,helps to use repositional glue also,works on even the trickiest pips like bomb talent/Dawei

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 08:45 
Super User

That seems quite a tricky way in the video. I use a sheet of non-stick paper between the glued pips sheet and the blade and slowly & patiently work my way up from above the handle to the top of the blade. :up: