OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: ITTF Hall of Fame
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 20:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I agree... the criteria to be eligible is rediculous! There are so many great legends out there with incredible achievements... they deserve to be recognised!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 21:20 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

seems a bit crazy to select this method, so a admin person doesn't have to win anything?
what happens if a player won some titles as a coach as well? no recognition

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 21:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

carbonman wrote:
Peter Karlsson...huh???

Yes, but no Appelgren, Bengtsson, Alser or Johansson?

Chen Qi but not Schlager?

Where is Seiji Ohno?

Where is Ruth Aaronson?

Klampar? Joyner?

This is too absurd to have any validity. It is obvious that ITTF cannot get anything right.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2014, 23:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds like we could do a better job creating a real hall of fame! Anyone interested to help make one?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 05:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
haggisv wrote:
Sounds like we could do a better job creating a real hall of fame! Anyone interested to help make one?

The domain name tthof.com is available.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 13:37 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Just some thoughts on ITTF Hall of Fame from a TT fan (me :) )

-As a TT fan (who is still a lousy player after 40 years of playing on and off) but still loves the sport of TT now just as much as during my childhood , I am excited and should be excited looking at the names in this Hall of Fame. I see names of great players I loved to watch.

-I understand that ITTF needs to have "objective" criteria in the selection of players but I feel these "objective" guidelines have some faults. There is just too much emphasis on "the team". If a "super-Waldner" is to come out of Europe and win the next 3-4 Worlds singles and be ranked number one in the world for the next few years, he won't be qualified?

-It is hard to have the "subjective" criteria. It is hard to measure. But a few names (out of many names) we have seen members in this forum and myTT forum mentioned deserve to be on this ITTF Hall of Fame.

-Looking at the Hall of Fame let me travel back in time! All the past great players were all unique and OOAK (one of a kind)! Sadly to say, our beloved sport has changed. We don't see unique styles any more. Top players play the same style. The golden era has passed ;( .

-ITTF, what have you done to our sport?!

-Off topic, I could see the 38mm ball just fine even without HD TV in the good old days. Can one imagine if the tennis governing body makes the tennis ball bigger, slower, and more visible for the fans to see?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 14:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

shaolinTT wrote:
Just some thoughts on ITTF Hall of Fame from a TT fan (me :) )

-As a TT fan (who is still a lousy player after 40 years of playing on and off) but still loves the sport of TT now just as much as during my childhood , I am excited and should be excited looking at the names in this Hall of Fame. I see names of great players I loved to watch.

-I understand that ITTF needs to have "objective" criteria in the selection of players but I feel these "objective" guidelines have some faults. There is just too much emphasis on "the team". If a "super-Waldner" is to come out of Europe and win the next 3-4 Worlds singles and be ranked number one in the world for the next few years, he won't be qualified?

-It is hard to have the "subjective" criteria. It is hard to measure. But a few names (out of many names) we have seen members in this forum and myTT forum mentioned deserve to be on this ITTF Hall of Fame.

-Looking at the Hall of Fame let me travel back in time! All the past great players were all unique and OOAK (one of a kind)! Sadly to say, our beloved sport has changed. We don't see unique styles any more. Top players play the same style. The golden era has passed ;( .

-ITTF, what have you done to our sport?!

You are so right, and you have done a service to calling attention to something that has gone largely unnoticed. I actually makes me angry that players like Chen Qi and Peter Karlsson (who are fine players) are in a hall of fame because they were lucky enough to have legendary teammates! I'll be honest and say I have often tried to model my strokes after Peter Karlsson. He was so smooth! But his accomplishments are nothing like Bengtsson or Johansson, or a very large number of European players in the same general era. To not take into account the World Cup is also absurd. Chen Qi is in but Samsonov is out? Makes no sense. The fact that Waldner, Persson and Karlsson are the only European players of the sponge area (late50s on) who are on the list is just nuts. Other sports have all sorts of reasons for putting people into a hall of fame. Yao Ming is in the basketball hall of fame, partly because he was a very good player (but not a great one) but mainly for his contributions to the spread of the popularity of the sport. I think that you could make a case that Klampar and Joyner were the first players to play an offensive style that looks modern (mainly because they used speed glue).

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. I know it is easier to count to five than to think clearly or make a cogent argument. The current ITTF Hall of Fame does not do justice to the true history of the sport. There are too many players in their hall who were never world singles champion, and too many world champions were excluded. From my country, Jimmy McClure (never world singles champion is included) and Ruth Aarons (twice world singles champion) is excluded. Notably, a Jewish woman won the world championship held in Prague in 1936, defeating the German player Astrid Krebsbach in the final. Stuff like that has to mean something. It is a chance to tell stories, popularize the sport. Not all the stories are happy ones, like what happened to the first world champions in table tennis from China. But they need to be told.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 14:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:

Yes!!!! Absolutely! It needs to be done.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 15:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Excellent... I'd love to be part of this too! :rock:

I'll be happy to setup a little mini-site just for that. :rock: Perhaps we should make a colaborative effort with mytt as well (and any other forums that might be interested of course)?

If we include officials as well, we need criteria for that too... and while we're at it, perhaps create a hall of shame as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, for players we will need to come up with more suitable criteria. Perhaps the best way is to come up with some names that certainly deserve to be in there, and look at what they've won.

I think we really need some people with good history knowledge to help here....shaolinTT, zzzuppp, Baal, carbonman...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2014, 22:55 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Im pretty good from around 61 - 85 and fair a few years either side of that. Not much chop for most other periods. Also, im clueless on womens TT other than knowing Chang Li and Jill Hammersley were very handy.

zzzuppp is a whiz on just about every period.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 00:56 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

carbonman wrote:
zzzuppp is a whiz on just about every period.

Agree. :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 07:51 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
Gee, shucks :oops:
Sure I'll help...

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 11:12 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

If I have counted correctly, Xu Xin needs one more gold medal in the World Championship to be in this ITTF HOF.
He is playing in the singles, doubles and mixed doubles in the WTTC 2015 on right now (and haven't lost yet as of today). That's a lot of matches! I hope he doesn't get too tired and I hope his injury is not significant.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 13:53 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Old thread.
2016: Xu Xin, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen indicted.
Fan Zhendong and Zhu Yuling just need to be on the "winning team" one more time.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 17:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I forgot all about this thread.... it was a great idea to make our own hall of fame... pity we never got around to it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!