OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 03:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
I've seen the look on people's faces when they've looked at my phone and saw AI analysing everything live. I couldn't have achieved this 5 years ago, winter or no winter. A winter doesn't impact what I'm trying to do. In fact users don't even have to know what tech is behind the coaching tips. I might not even worry about displaying stuff on the screen and it could just be a black box yelling instructions like "bend your knees more".

I think if you yell at adult learners "bend your knees more" you will be correct 99.99% of the time, you don't need AI to do that. In fact, that is what a lot of coaches do in the sport (and get paid for it) :D Seriously speaking, I think sports coaching, especially for amateurs is one of the areas where AI can be very useful. The reason is that if AI gives you correct advice 90% of the time and incorrect for the rest 10%, it should be fine, as the price of an error is relatively small. At the same time, you don't want to ride a self-driving car that makes incorrect judgments 10% of the time for obvious reasons. So good luck with building the app and I am looking forward to trying it out myself!

BRS wrote:
Dr P you could switch to short pips on backhand. Then def take the receive early. Don't worry if top-side or back-side. Just smack the s*** out of it and see what happens.

Nah, if I ever go to the dark side, I will switch to LPs, I really enjoy chopping from time to time.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 04:49 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
Happy New Year everyone!

Some entertainment content, playing the match was very fun.

The opponent needs to work on his forehand.

Probably - it would make him even more scary. Right now he makes ~2000 USATT kids cry, with decent FH he'd do it to 2200 ones.

I'm yet to beat him, lost 2:3 so many times... So, congrats, Dr. Pivot!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 06:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

The opponent needs to work on his forehand.

Probably - it would make him even more scary. Right now he makes ~2000 USATT kids cry, with decent FH he'd do it to 2200 ones.

I'm yet to beat him, lost 2:3 so many times... So, congrats, Dr. Pivot!

Thank you! I usually play better against Anti/LPs, than against most other styles given the same level. Thanks to years of playing a Seemiller-style Anti guy in a local league and regularly practicing with a very good chopper all when I was in PA.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 10:40 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Dr.Pivot wrote:
Thank you! I usually play better against Anti/LPs, than against most other styles given the same level. Thanks to years of playing a Seemiller-style Anti guy in a local league and regularly practicing with a very good chopper all when I was in PA.

Where are you these days and any plans for future Westchester tournaments? I think I'll be there in January if things go 'ok', with Covid and what not... Might be a good opportunity to meet up and swap technique and tactics tips. :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 12:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
Where are you these days and any plans for future Westchester tournaments? I think I'll be there in January if things go 'ok', with Covid and what not... Might be a good opportunity to meet up and swap technique and tactics tips. :D

Tssss.... The first rule of the tactics club is to not talk about tactics club!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 13:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
About the AI coach, make it a black box shouting instructions please. You want it to be as close to a human coach as possible and that's how they are. Like it should also know when the student is performing like utter trash, but their mental state is very weak, so the AI needs to lie and tell them they are doing good just for emotional support.

Do believe there should be an optional "abuse mode"? This means that I will abuse you if you do the wrong things. What kind of language should be used in abuse mode?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 00:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
About the AI coach, make it a black box shouting instructions please. You want it to be as close to a human coach as possible and that's how they are. Like it should also know when the student is performing like utter trash, but their mental state is very weak, so the AI needs to lie and tell them they are doing good just for emotional support.

Do believe there should be an optional "abuse mode"? This means that I will abuse you if you do the wrong things. What kind of language should be used in abuse mode?

Just make the app read the posts out loud from this thread. Should be abusive enough to cause PTSD.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 01:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

Great idea! For best effect the abuse should be in a language the player doesn't understand.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2022, 07:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is hilarious! Don't forget to turn on the subtitles.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 11:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

More TT comedy. That awkward feeling when you realize that you are probably not going to win the match.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 17:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That's always a very peaceful feeling to realize Wow, this guy is way better than me. Pressure is gone.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 01:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
That's always a very peaceful feeling to realize Wow, this guy is way better than me. Pressure is gone.

It was actually a competitive match, I lost 1-3. But he was better for sure. I mean, how do you even hit shots like that in a tournament, especially under pressure in the semifinals? Playing counter looping rallies all day?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 15:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Way above my level.. :lol: (About 500-600 points above..)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 17:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
BRS wrote:

It was actually a competitive match, I lost 1-3. But he was better for sure. I mean, how do you even hit shots like that in a tournament, especially under pressure in the semifinals? Playing counter looping rallies all day?

Presumably that's all he does. There are lots of guys like that. Even in warmups, they hit for 10 seconds then suddenly they are three meters back counter-looping. When I play them I always tell myself: Don't let him get away from the table. It doesn't usually work because my short game is not good enough. And it's difficult to stop someone from backing up. But that's the chance. They are used to having so much time between balls. If you can take that away and make them play within arm's-length from the table, sometimes they don't look so good.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2022, 03:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
BRS wrote:

Presumably that's all he does. There are lots of guys like that. Even in warmups, they hit for 10 seconds then suddenly they are three meters back counter-looping. When I play them I always tell myself: Don't let him get away from the table. It doesn't usually work because my short game is not good enough. And it's difficult to stop someone from backing up. But that's the chance. They are used to having so much time between balls. If you can take that away and make them play within arm's-length from the table, sometimes they don't look so good.

Yeah, makes sense. I should also not play to their forehand when they do get away from the table. At least according to part 09 of the Playing Table Tennis Points series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!