OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 20:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
mickd, you are not alone :) From time to time I also have arguments about the TT techniques with local experts, especially if I try to practice with them. I've been told countless times to not use my body on the backhand topspin and rely exclusively on arm/wrist. They also firmly believe that reaching for a wide FH ball with a cross-step is completely wrong, and told me many times to use a side step instead. It takes a lot of mental sturdiness to not give up, especially given that their playing level is way above mine. The local TT scene in my hometown is very old-school.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 05:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
mickd wrote:
I've been told to stop twisting my knees and waist and just to keep the bottom half of my body completely still during shots if I want to improve because it's not the right way to play anymore. Apparently it's how table tennis was 50 years ago. Thoughts???

Your "teacher" may also be interesting in helping the guy below too. He is also isn't keeping the lower half of his body still. Let's start a GoFundMe campaign to stop him from making this mistake!!!

Perfectly done shots by Ma Long!

I don't agree with him on this but I do find a lot of value in his advice. A little bit of background. He's a good player. He's also over 60 but still one of the best players at my club. Of the regular members, I'd say he's the strongest. I've never played with him before but last week he actually asked me for a game. I think it's because he likes my willingness to improve and for the last 5 years or so, I've consistently greeted everyone at the club as they entered and said bye. To every single person individually. I'm that type of guy haha. Also I'm slowly getting better. Anyway, we played a game and I got owned. I got like 2, 3 and 4 points I think.

This week he asked me if I'd like to warm up with him, and so we did some FH and BH warm ups. He identified a big problem in my game. And that's how I always "leap forward" into shots and "leap back out" which kills my consistency because I end up reaching for the ball too much and my recovery isn't fast enough to play against the top players because of this. He helped me improve my smash against lob, which was atrocious at best.

The best part of his advice and the practice I got was to not "leap into the shots". Get my feet into position so I can transfer my weight and use my waist rotation without jumping forward. When I did this, I could feel the smoothness of the shots. That's where I found value in his advice. But he still wants me to stop rotating my knees, which I don't think I will, but getting my legs into a better position will give the illusion that I'm not bending, which might be enough.

He also gave me advice on smashing lobs, having my arm higher so that my shoulder and arm create a straight, diagonal line up. And on contact, smacking the ball and finishing with my racket low. It felt nice when I got it like that. This is a really bad explanation haha sorry.

BRS wrote:
mickd wrote:
I've been told to stop twisting my knees and waist and just to keep the bottom half of my body completely still during shots if I want to improve because it's not the right way to play anymore. Apparently it's how table tennis was 50 years ago. Thoughts???

I'm going to comment about this in my next post, which may include some video about this or other unrelated (but table tennis related) things! Or maybe I'll split them :) Not sure yet!

It feels like there must be some context missing from the advice.

The context above :) But that said, he is a firm believer that the knee should not rotate. He literally pointed to them and I even asked about it. The whole hip shouldn't rotate. The only way I could turn my shoulders in a way that he was satisfied I was doing it right was to rotate the top part of my spine only.

It's great that you can take something valuable from what he said about not leaping into shots and leave what feels wrong to you about not turning your knees. When good players try to help they almost always mean something that is intelligent and actually helpful. TT is just really hard to explain in words.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 10:56 

I generally try to be very respectful to anyone who gives me advice. But a post NL made awhile back got me thinking more about what people really mean when they give advice. It was something about how people giving advice usually have a reason for what they're saying, even if it seems wrong or they're not able to explain what they really want to say.

Here are three points I played surprisingly well last week. I'm posting these because all three of them have something in common that I'd like to comment on. And it's not just that I hit winners haha. Something about each of those points caused me to hit these balls that I'm rarely ever able to hit in matches. What do you guys see?

First one was an extremely aggressive BH dive. I don't think I've ever used my body so aggressively for a BH dive before.
https://youtu.be/_4lsS1MGORY

The next two are both big forehands (big by my standards).
https://youtu.be/mRQm8ofo8jQ
https://youtu.be/65TQKx0Kft4

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 12:01 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Same as Dr.Pivot. Coach tell me many times that for all strokes your weight must go forward. I just gave up trying to put an alternate view as regards the backhand.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 12:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
I generally try to be very respectful to anyone who gives me advice. But a post NL made awhile back got me thinking more about what people really mean when they give advice. It was something about how people giving advice usually have a reason for what they're saying, even if it seems wrong or they're not able to explain what they really want to say.

Here are three points I played surprisingly well last week. I'm posting these because all three of them have something in common that I'd like to comment on. And it's not just that I hit winners haha. Something about each of those points caused me to hit these balls that I'm rarely ever able to hit in matches. What do you guys see?

First one was an extremely aggressive BH dive. I don't think I've ever used my body so aggressively for a BH dive before.
https://youtu.be/_4lsS1MGORY

The next two are both big forehands (big by my standards).
https://youtu.be/mRQm8ofo8jQ
https://youtu.be/65TQKx0Kft4

Despite all of your efforts, you did a bigger backswing and made a powerful loop. :)

So there's another thing going on here, one I experience all of the time - older players tend to just hand out slower balls to destroy. They aren't bad players but they will give the easier ball and with good technique you can pop it.

As the coach has said many many times - form follows function. Your form was perfect considering you had plenty of time to get a bigger backswing in.

Here is the real challenge: how do you get these balls from younger more athletic players also?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 14:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from the local folks and they are very good players. But sometimes following their advice given in good faith (no doubt about it) would be very, very detrimental to my game. So when I politely say that I would rather stick my to guns it results in a kind of awkward situation.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 14:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from the local folks and they are very good players. But sometimes following their advice given in good faith (no doubt about it) would be very, very detrimental to my game. So when I politely say that I would rather stick my to guns it results in a kind of awkward situation.

This happens to me all the time too. There's often good bits of information in there. For example this one person coached me into reconsidering how to handle a half long ball. He seems me going for a big swing and making errors. His idea is for me to get the return/awkward ball on the table with some quality and then get the ball I want to attack. Now the technique he recommends is to do a smaller swing and we can all debate what that means here but his advice is good in terms of my overall strategy and has given me much to consider.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 14:57 

Yeah. This particular person is probably like 300 points higher than me, and I really want to continue to hit with him. He's got a very standard play style, too. So I have to be respectful. He has high expectations that I'll be able to implement his advice in a timely manner. I'm going to work on a few of the things he said. I actually think his advice is good, except for keeping the knees completely still during a shot.

I'm already really grateful that he came up to me and asked if I'd like to hit with him. I'm grateful that he's willing to spend time improving my game. I know I'm offering him very little in return when I hit with him. I rarely (if ever) see him hit with players that aren't the top few at the club.

I do have one good thing to offer him, though. I'm good at blocking consistently. I think I have a very standard blocking technique which leads to good consistent practice. He used me to warm up last time, followed by giving me advice and letting me practice implementing it.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 09:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I like the conversation about different coaches saying different things. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with coaching and the industry in general. Sometimes I want to quit live coaching and sometimes I like it. Mostly I want to quit. But then on the weekend, I ran a free live coach-the-coach seminar for 15 coaches and it was decent fun.

There are a lot of half-truths that are taught in tt coaching. Most of them are passed down from generation to generation. I have taught many of these half-truths over the 31 years of taking money for coaching. It doesn't make me a bad person and my intentions were always perfect. Sometimes the advice actually lead to student improvement, but often it didn't. It depends on the student accidentally filling in the blanks or getting a little lucky.

Here is a list of half-truths, just for fun:

- Turn your shoulders
- Turn your waist
- Bend your knees
- Watch the ball
- Side step
- Step into the ball
- Transfer your weight
- Brush the ball
- Use your wrist
- Wait for the ball
- Take the ball at the top of the bounce
- Hit though the ball
- Close the racket face
- Open the racket face
- Shorten your backswing
- Lengthen your backswing
- Move your feet
- Start here, finish there
- Concentrate
- Relax

I'm sure I could think of more if you give me 10 minutes. None of the above are exactly wrong...I'm just saying they aren't exactly right.

When I walk around the hall and listen to coaches, these are the things I hear the most. Over the last 30 years, I too have said them all, so hang me too. I have probably taught more half-truths than anyone you know, but I try not to now.

I think that getting into arguments with your local coaches is a waste of time and energy. You should just save it for the forums.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 10:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
I generally try to be very respectful to anyone who gives me advice.

This is the biggest understatement of 2020.

Imo, being respectful to people in general is a good idea. It will generally lower your own stress and often lead to good things.

Running around and arguing with people is a fool's game and I'm trying to give it up. I haven't had a bad confrontation with anyone in Australia since I've been back and I'm going to try to keep a perfect record. It's easy in Australia than it is in India, so the bar is lower.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 12:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
o arguments with your local coaches is a waste of time and energy. You should just save it for the forums.

I decided to stop arguing on forums to save energy for arguing with local coaches.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 13:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
o arguments with your local coaches is a waste of time and energy. You should just save it for the forums.

I decided to stop arguing on forums to save energy for arguing with local coaches.

Just walk into the hall tonight and tell all the coaches that there is no such thing as footwork and tactics suck. You may as well just shove all-in if you really want some conflict.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 13:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Just walk into the hall tonight and tell all the coaches that there is no such thing as footwork and tactics suck. You may as well just shove all-in if you really want some conflict.

I am afraid I will have to run away immediately and hide from the pushback somewhere in Australia so that they would not get me.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 15:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

EJ rejoice!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 21:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In light of Ma Long's revelations, I ordered a couple of sheets of Mercury II.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515 ... 568  Next