OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 13:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Note to Brett:

I hit exactly one perfectly coordinated bh last night, in 29 sets. The quality difference from a fraction of a second better timing must be 200%. My opponent didn't even move before the ball was by him.

Iirc I hit one at Trolley last week too, in 10 or 12 matches. One perfect bh a day seems to be my limit atm.

Watch this again.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
Once again I'm coming back from a league match disappointed with my mental state while playing.

I played in the 4th division in the south of Sweden today. Usually I play in the 3rd but our coach thinks it's good for me to get as much playing experience as possible. First match I lost 2-3 to a guy ranked 100 points below me. I thought I played well overall but missed some easy shots and received poorly. Bit disappointed considering how active I was while the other guy was for the most part blocking me around. But it just shows my placement needs to improve.. or that I need a bit more spin on my open ups.

Second match I went 0-2 down to a guy about 900 points below me.. I was just missing everything. When it goes this poorly it's as if I stop playing, it's ridiculous.. my energy just vanishes. Despite the horrific first two sets I managed to win the next two and struggled a bit in the fifth but took it 11-7. It just shows how unstable my game can be.. it's quite a common occurrence that I lose the first set to much weaker players and I don't know how to overcome it. I'll just randomly snap out of it and play how I "should" be playing. My opponent was loving it, and tried to capitalize on my poor mental state. It's a shame I have to let it get to me, in these moments I just want to stop playing and give the game away. I feel guilty for just saying that, sadly that's how it feels in the moment.
I play to have fun and this isn't fun, even if I end up winning in the end. Of course there's no hard feelings, he's just having fun trying to win. Either way, I need to figure out a way to get myself out of this mental grave I'm digging for myself in these moments. Or perhaps it's just a part of my play style and I'll have to accept that I'm still not that steady. Nevertheless, this was an unusually poor performance.

Third match I played a guy ranked higher than the last one but probably a few hundred points below me. I had a much easier time against him and beat him fairly comfortably 3-0. It's strange how things go.. even stranger that I'm so concerned about it, just play and have fun and accept that it can't go my way always.. it's not like I'm playing to make a living or anything.

I really should start recording all of my matches so I can look back to see if my thoughts after each match really are accurately portraying each match. I don't like having a camera on me while playing but it's a silly hurdle to get over and could only benefit me in the long run.

I apologize for this sounding like a personal blog post lol. What have your guys experiences been like playing much weaker opponents and suffering losses or near losses?

Rich, add me on Facebook and I'll work with you on this. https://web.facebook.com/brettwclarke

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
I have sort of given up on the reverse pendulum and now using a Henzell like tomohawk/punch almost exclusively, with a backhand serve thrown in the odd time.

There is really no benefit to learning more variations than that is there? If one has more quality than the other.

It doesn't matter which serve you use. The key is to have a couple which are very good.

I don't serve reverse or punch/tomahawk/hook serves anymore. Most players would kill for my punch serve and I don't use it. I also rarely use my backspin/nospin which is arguably world-class.

My point is, you don't need to have dozens of serves to be good at serving. You need to be very good at a few serves and have a complete understanding of what you are doing.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I have to admit I am quite lazy when it comes to visualizing. For me, it may take a lot of mental effort to visualize all those thing Brett outlined above. I probably have to practice it so that it will be easier in the future.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I have to admit I am quite lazy when it comes to visualizing. For me, it may take a lot of mental effort to visualize all those thing Brett outlined above. I probably have to practice it so that it will be easier in the future.

The list looks daunting but the reality is easy.

If you aren't doing those things, what are you doing? Thinking about winning/loss? Getting angry/nervous about the last mistake? Thinking about all the prize money you are about to win/lose? USATT points? Who's watching you? The score?

The above are some of the distractions everyone faces. No one is capable of blocking out these thoughts. No one is capable of blocking out any thought, as a matter of fact. The key is to allow these thoughts and then just do some of the between-point stuff I described.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
What have your guys experiences been like playing much weaker opponents and suffering losses or near losses?

My experience was that I cannot categorize tournament players as "weak" anymore... I've been in numerous situations when I saw a player whom I thought I could beat easily, and lost 0-3 without any chances. It does not matter how I judge, by their technique, playing style or ratings, it is all very misleading. Maybe you are a high level player, and it is different for you, but my experience is the following.

I often meet people with random strokes who cannot return three balls on the table during the warmup. Yet it turns out they have tricky serves and somehow put the ball on the table from unbelievably difficult positions many times in a row when playing the actual game. Playing these guys was a hot topic in this thread not a long time ago. I struggle against them a lot.

Ratings are even more misleading. Just imagine a kid who is low-rated, but his last tournament was two years ago, and since that time he has been practicing with a former Chinese provincial player 5 times per week Or some local sandbagger who dropped rating on purpose so that he can grab the laughable cash prize in your event. Or an actual solid player who just played one tournament and got a very low rating as a result of some random things.

None of those guys are weak, though it is easy to categorize them as so. Anytime I face an unknown player, I try to not think about them as weak to not create expectations of an easy win and then panic when things don't go my way.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

If you aren't doing those things, what are you doing? Thinking about winning/loss? Getting angry/nervous about the last mistake? Thinking about all the prize money you are about to win/lose? USATT points? Who's watching you? The score?

When I am to serve, I try to recall which serves my opponent returned poorly, or at least had predictable returns. Then I think about what my follow-up shot should be based on my current condition and the quality of the return. If my opponent serves, I remind myself that I will likely have an opportunity to loop it and should go for it; I also decide if I should pivot or not. There are many other things I think about (like not being distracted by excessive celebrations of the opponent and so), but I do not actively visualize them. I try to predict my opponent's possible returns, but I don't close my eyes and imagine that particular return and myself killing it for a winner. Maybe I should.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Richfs wrote:
What have your guys experiences been like playing much weaker opponents and suffering losses or near losses?

My experience was that I cannot categorize tournament players as "weak" anymore... I've been in numerous situations when I saw a player whom I thought I could beat easily, and lost 0-3 without any chances. It does not matter how I judge, by their technique, playing style or ratings, it is all very misleading. Maybe you are a high level player, and it is different for you, but my experience is the following.

I often meet people with random strokes who cannot return three balls on the table during the warmup. Yet it turns out they have tricky serves and somehow put the ball on the table from unbelievably difficult positions many times in a row when playing the actual game. Playing these guys was a hot topic in this thread not a long time ago. I struggle against them a lot.

Ratings are even more misleading. Just imagine a kid who is low-rated, but his last tournament was two years ago, and since that time he has been practicing with a former Chinese provincial player 5 times per week Or some local sandbagger who dropped rating on purpose so that he can grab the laughable cash prize in your event. Or an actual solid player who just played one tournament and got a very low rating as a result of some random things.

None of those guys are weak, though it is easy to categorize them as so. Anytime I face an unknown player, I try to not think about them as weak to not create expectations of an easy win and then panic when things don't go my way.

Great post!

It's dangerous to think of opponents as weak. In the heat of battle, any win is a good win. I say this to beginners and international players all the time. Everyone wants to win and pressure has a way of evening things up.

I played a "weak" 2200 (it all relative) player the other night. It turned out to be a fairly close match because I wasn't ready to play after one month of not playing a point. The guy put balls on the table and kept the score close. Full credit to the guy for putting up a good fight. I was tight and it felt like I had never played before. He was at his best and I was at my worst.

20 minutes later I totally destroyed a >2500 player in some of the best TT I've played in 15 years. Anything is possible.

Never underestimate an opponent who is fired up and wants the win. Sometimes people can play within a wide range. The bottom of their range may be 1400 and the top may be 1800, depend on their state of mind.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 14:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

When I am to serve, I try to recall which serves my opponent returned poorly, or at least had predictable returns. Then I think about what my follow-up shot should be based on my current condition and the quality of the return. If my opponent serves, I remind myself that I will likely have an opportunity to loop it and should go for it; I also decide if I should pivot or not. There are many other things I think about (like not being distracted by excessive celebrations of the opponent and so), but I do not actively visualize them. I try to predict my opponent's possible returns, but I don't close my eyes and imagine that particular return and myself killing it for a winner. Maybe I should.

Try imagining your opponent making an outrageous mistake when you serve. Imagine him/her literally blocking your reverse backspin into the middle of their own side.

A martial artist will imagine their hand easily exiting the underside of the brick they are about to smash with the side of their hand. Confidence reduces tension and allows you to move everything freely.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 15:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
The above are some of the distractions everyone faces. No one is capable of blocking out these thoughts. No one is capable of blocking out any thought, as a matter of fact. The key is to allow these thoughts and then just do some of the between-point stuff I described.

If you want to better understand how the mind works, this is a great explanation. It will take 20 minutes of your time, but you may live 10 years longer, so fair trade. You will also learn how to accept distracting thoughts.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 15:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Never underestimate an opponent who is fired up and wants the win. Sometimes people can play within a wide range. The bottom of their range may be 1400 and the top may be 1800, depend on their state of mind.

Yes, and playing against a "weak" opponent who suddenly starts playing well can lead to the worst panic episodes in table tennis ever. Just imagine that the score is 4-4, the "weak" opponent hits two winners in a row just because of luck, then he wins a point by hitting an edge, then you miss an easy smash. The score is 4-8, the "weak" opponent is on the roll, and you don't know what to do (even the net and edges play for him!). A lot of people mentally collapse in this situation, and I've been there too.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 16:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Yes, and playing against a "weak" opponent who suddenly starts playing well can lead to the worst panic episodes in table tennis ever. Just imagine that the score is 4-4, the "weak" opponent hits two winners in a row just because of luck, then he wins a point by hitting an edge, then you miss an easy smash. The score is 4-8, the "weak" opponent is on the roll, and you don't know what to do (even the net and edges play for him!). A lot of people mentally collapse in this situation, and I've been there too.

Everyone has been there a bunch of times. It's very easy to lose a game when it's up to 11 points. It was much harder when it was up to 21. All you need now are a few easy errors and a bit of luck against you. The stress of all this can result in an emotional reaction that leads to more lost points or games. As you said, the opponent often starts to play better when they see you falling apart.

There's quite a lot of luck and variance involved in a single game, however, it's quite difficult to win by luck in a best of 7.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 17:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here's some reasons why you should come to Bangkok for a month holiday and TT:

- Bangkok is the most visited city on the planet. Here's an article explaining why http://www.travelstart.co.za/blog/10-re ... the-world/ . So you'll have a bunch of stuff to do when you aren't playing
- Thai Airways is a very good cheap airline that flies from almost anyone in the world.
- You can rent a reasonable apartment (think hotel room) for $250USD a month within walking distance to the club
- You can play table tennis for free. Maybe it costs $1 a day, but I don't know where to pay
- You'll find lots of players to play matches against
- You can eat for $3 per meal and there are millions of places nearby
- The main club is in a sports venue where you can play other sports. Or join the gym for $35 a month. Here's some photos from the facility https://foursquare.com/v/%E0%B8%81%E0%B ... e0d/photos
- You can go for massage after TT for $6 an hour + tip (normally $3, but you don't have to). There are 50 good places in walking distance to the club
- You can catch a cab for <$6, depending on where you want to go
- You'll probably be able to find a coach for approx $10-15 per hour
- There are other clubs you can visit so you'll have options
- You'll make few friends

Don't expect to play all day or to find people to do drills with. It would be better to find a coach and get the training you need. Most players prefer to just play FH-FH BH-BH (basics) and just play matches. You will mostly play at night after the locals finish work.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 18:38 

Blade: Vanity II (custom)
FH: DHS Gold Arc 8
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
Richfs wrote:

Suffer a while as self-loathing kicks in. Go through the classic stages (denial, anger, sorrow) and eventually acceptance. There are no shortcuts.

That said, I try to let go and tell myself that anything can happen, no match is safe, and loss, including heavy and painfull loss, is an intrinsic part of the game, conversely also constituting to aspects that make it fun and worthwhile.

Yes, it’s hard in many ways, including self-imagery and mental fortitude. Embrace that and rise to the challenge as good as you can, and accept and try to be content about that?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 20:59 

fastmover wrote:
Richfs wrote:

This is great, I agree. Cheers everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it.

My teammate played the same guy before me, my teammate and I have similar playing styles but I beat him perhaps 70-80% of the time in practice. He was toying with this guy. It just doesn't make sense for me to play that unbelievably poorly. While it sucks that I played poorly I'm mostly disappointed with myself for becoming so apathetic that I'm hardly playing, At the same time I'm telling myself to just stop and relax, no one cares if you lose, just play. But it doesn't work, I snap out of it at random.

I guess it didn't help either that our coach said that we all should beat him. He said it in a sort of jokingly way but it's still not the kind of thing I like to hear. I don't like categorizing a player as weak, this player had his strengths but I think his ranking was accurate. He had 900 ranking points and I have 1800. While ranking doesn't tell you everything, here the gap was massive. I had played him once before where he took the first set and I won the next 3. But I'm not comfortable in any of them. I'm nervous, playing unusual shots and not having fun.

I know not to underestimate anyone. Some have very unorthodox strokes that work for them, they often good serves and tricky playstyles. I know I'm still not good enough to beat many of these players on a bad day. I have played a lot of them by this stage, I think I've played more players that fit this category than players with more "normal" technique. During practice I'm for the most part not exposed to these styles, so that might be one reason I struggle.. but it appears to be more of a mental battle for me. It's partly about me (nearly) losing to a "weaker" player, which is of course never fun, but I think it's more that I lose my own playstyle, that I become so lethargic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!