OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Brett Clarke wrote:
It's all about the efficiency of initial move you make.

This I don't agree with. It's all about a lot of things, initial move, and how much time your stroke allows you to make one, is only a small piece of it.

I should have said - providing you know how to hit a forehand. I think you know how to hit a forehand and many of your mistakes are related to your initial move. Feel free to disagree ;)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is when I feel entirely out of place here.

I'm busy looking for more rotation, back swing, whip and everyone else is busy looking for less.

In fairness I've started to adopt a slightly more away from the table style. Making a big attack vs backspin and taking a hop or two back is where I feel more comfortable.

Last edited by wilkinru on 16 Aug 2019, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 01:58 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
wilkinru wrote:

I'm busy looking for more rotation, back swing, whip and everyone else is busy looking for less.

It seems it all depends on whether or not you're being chased by a rhino.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

When being chased by a rhino my shifts are fast and going for maximum maneuverability so I can create some distance. I hope to not stay here long as some rhinos can just keep coming at you.

When in the monster truck chasing the rhino I like to take my time and build the RPM a little before shifting. I have time to corner the rhino.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

True, true. Let's mark Sept 15 international rhino day.

Russ, I'm just saying that you need a wide range.

I spend a lot of my time these days in halls with the world's best. I'm going to the Czech Open on Monday, for example. When i watch Harimoto (and many of the other young players) train, I'm completely blown away by what he is doing with his body. I watched his sister train all last week in Hong Kong and I'm seeing all the same things as she is starting to rise to the top. Her rotation and body use is a long way in front of the rest and it's my job to try to keep up.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is going to degrade into the pro vs club player debate. Ratings will be discussed and all of that.

I'm just going to continue to try and hit the ball with lots of spin/power/quality and act like I'm a developing junior. After all I have a long road to 2000.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

From this point:
https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=721

I like the split step, the knee turn, the arm back, all of that is pretty good but I don't think I like the position of the right foot. If you watch the right foot it actually comes forward from the ready position. I would love to see some advanced AI deep fake video on this same point with the right foot 6 inches back, or 12 inches back. I saw this many times during this match and I think this thing alone would up your forehand.

This is actually one of Ben's better forehands. The most concerning one is when he jumps side/back and hits the ball at the same time. I'll see if I can find one soon

In this one https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=721, Ben actually jumps into good position and somewhat twists into the ball. This is what I was trying to get him to do in FLL.

As promised, this is the type of forehand I've been talking about, even though it won the point. https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=76

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
As promised, this is the type of forehand I've been talking about, even though it won the point. https://youtu.be/KQfhIeSpVGU?t=76

I used the example I did because it was almost great. The right foot was just too close which threw everything out of sorts. If the right foot was back, the backswing was epic and could have just spun that ball anywhere on the table.

As a side note, it's amazing how athletic Ben is.

I'm wrong on 4 pages in a row now apparently, so now I'm trying for 5.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Brett Clarke wrote:
I watched his sister train all last week in Hong Kong and I'm seeing all the same things as she is starting to rise to the top. Her rotation and body use is a long way in front of the rest and it's my job to try to keep up.

Oho... so he's got a sister. If she's anything like him the women's game is going to get even more interesting in the next 2-3 years.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
This is going to degrade into the pro vs club player debate. Ratings will be discussed and all of that.

I'm just going to continue to try and hit the ball with lots of spin/power/quality and act like I'm a developing junior. After all I have a long road to 2000.

Oh, come on Russ! Let's not jump the gun. Besides, this thread has never degraded before, right?

I was teaching some power mechanics recently and a player said she was losing control on her backhand as a result of the extra force. I said I'd be happy to put dead rubber on both sides and teach her to just block everything if she really wanted. She thought it was a funny joke and that was the end of the discussion.

Everyone must decide where they want to go. I personally don't enjoy coaching when someone wants to restrict themselves. This is just a personal thing and it doesn't make me right or wrong. I want the above mentioned player to be at the top of the world and an initial loss of control is a price that needs to be paid.

I often tell coaches to have no expectation that everyone will want to be their student, and vice versa. I'm happy to coach an 80 year old and I can get a lot of job out of it. I just don't want to coach an 80 year old who only wants to push every ball. I find it boring. If someone just wants to push every ball, they need to find a different coach and that's all fine.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I used the example I did because it was almost great. The right foot was just too close which threw everything out of sorts. If the right foot was back, the backswing was epic and could have just spun that ball anywhere on the table.

As a side note, it's amazing how athletic Ben is.

I'm wrong on 4 pages in a row now apparently, so now I'm trying for 5.

If anyone is wrong for 10 pages in a row, I generally send them a free ttEDGE shirt.

Keep typing Russ!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I lost a lot of control on my backhand recently. It's awesome.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 02:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

Brett Clarke wrote:
It's all about the efficiency of initial move you make.

This I don't agree with. It's all about a lot of things, initial move, and how much time your stroke allows you to make one, is only a small piece of it.

I should have said - providing you know how to hit a forehand. I think you know how to hit a forehand and many of your mistakes are related to your initial move. Feel free to disagree ;)

I do still disagree. Perspectives. You see .1% of my forehands, I see 100%. I see one player (me), you see hundreds. Different facts lead to different opinions.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 03:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I do still disagree. Perspectives. You see .1% of my forehands, I see 100%. I see one player (me), you see hundreds. Different facts lead to different opinions.

Perspectives indeed. One perspective is to create a new forehand. Another is to modify the old one so it has better balance through the stroke.

I think both will lead to the same conclusion, tho. Alright if this makes it to page 6...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 03:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
BRS wrote:

Perspectives indeed. One perspective is to create a new forehand. Another is to modify the old one so it has better balance through the stroke.

I think both will lead to the same conclusion, tho. Alright if this makes it to page 6...

IMHO, you are still on page 5.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 568  Next