OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 08:44 

wilkinru wrote:
Newest entry:

Looks like I have another 8 hours to get a good one in, if this one isn't it.

You need to keep your wrist bent at the finish -- just passing on what Brett told me about my shadowswing.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 11:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
Newest entry:

Try to fold the racket back so far that the head points towards your chest and your elbow feels like it is pointing towards where you want the hit the ball. Then push the arm straight out. You seem to want to finish to the side and the strone is fine, but feel as if you are punching your racket more forward.

The elbow doesn't need to go forward that far but the racket head needs to get there so you have room to come forward into the ball.

I personally think you have a good stroke as is but if you want more forward motion and less finishing to the side, you need to start further back and come into the ball with more speed. Your racket should be consistently touching your belly or close to it. Then you can come forward and over the ball.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 11:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Footwork is way overrated imo.

Indeed! Topspin technique is IMO overrated too. Just push and block, should be enough to reach 2200 USATT at least, probably even higher.

Footwork technique isn't overrated imo...just footwork

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 11:39 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Newest entry:

You need to keep your wrist bent at the finish -- just passing on what Brett told me about my shadowswing.

His wrist is fine to me. It is the degree oif backswing that is insufficient to get the finishing position he wants. He needs to get the racket back more to his stomach so that he has room to come into the ball and finish forward. He starts a bit too far in front so he has only room to go to the side.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 11:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Footwork is way overrated imo.

Indeed! Topspin technique is IMO overrated too. Just push and block, should be enough to reach 2200 USATT at least, probably even higher.

Footwork technique isn't overrated imo...just footwork

What do you mean by that?

Seriously speaking, I think that learning BH topspin is detrimental for like 99% of the club players. Very few of the club players will ever develop BH topspin in their lifetime to the point of a potent weapon in close matches. A better strategic decision (for maxing out one's playing level given finite training time) is to stick with an aggressive BH counter hit. Learning for fun is different, though.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 12:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

What do you mean by that?

Seriously speaking, I think that learning BH topspin is detrimental for like 99% of the club players. Very few of the club players will ever develop BH topspin in their lifetime to the point of a potent weapon in close matches. A better strategic decision (for maxing out one's playing level given finite training time) is to stick with an aggressive BH counter hit. Learning for fun is different, though.

I mean that you have to know exactly how to move if/when required. I see a lot of players training and they practice footwork all day and it's not the biggest part of the game by 1 million miles.

Most of the time in TT you can pretty much stand where you are and hit the ball, especially if you stay close to the table. The way you move your body is infinitely more important than constantly moving your feet. It's good to know how to jump into the backswing on all shots so you can make minor changes to your position. I'll add a small taste of this concept into video ttEDGE 2020 04 Backhand Block. Might even get it done today.

In relation to your backhand topspin remarks, you definitely have some kind of a point. It is, however, a little bit like saying that it's better to walk in a marathon because at least you'll probably now make the distance and you'll never win Olympic Gold anyway, but I totally get your point. Backhand topspin can be very unreliable at lower levels and hitting guarantees some balls on the table.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 12:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
When my partner blocks anywhere on the table and I topspin to a corner, what do I train? Footwork?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 12:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Newest entry:

I agree with this. If you keep your wrist bent at the finish, it means you can't cheat on the arm straightening technique.

Here is Harimoto in the early evolution of his shove. These days it is much more polished, but this video will help you to see how it all went down. Look at the wrist.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

That looks like he copied Mizutani's backhand.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
That looks like he copied Mizutani's backhand.

Yes, some parts of it. Harimito's body movement is far superior.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So your saying not to do it like this?

Attachment:
shove1.png
shove1.png [ 687.83 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
When my partner blocks anywhere on the table and I topspin to a corner, what do I train? Footwork?

In this example, if you are covering the entire table with your forehand, this undoubtedly is a footwork exercise. If this is the main part of your training, I'm saying you are on the wrong track. I would prescribe this exercise for a max of 8 mins a day to the best pros.

If, in this example, if you are using both your backhand and forehand, I wouldn't exactly describe it as a footwork exercise per se. I'm saying that it's infinitely more important that you twist/bow/manipulate your body correctly than moving your feet. You should just be occasionally subtly jumping into backswings which may or may not move your entire body a couple of inches here and there.

Maybe this is confusing so I'll try to use a clear example below. Ma Long is doing a fh topspin exercise and the blocker is blocking randomly in exactly 50% of the table. Do you see Ma Long doing a lot of "footwork"? Or is he almost exclusively standing in one spot and occasionally subtly jumping into a backswing if the ball's position is significantly changed. Does it look like he is frantically moving his feet? Ma Long wouldn't even be aware that he is changing his position in this exercise. His forehand technique is obviously perfect (he must have watched ttEDGE 2020 02 a bunch) and he is able to manipulate his body and arm so he doesn't have to move. A big part of this skill is anticipation.

Watch his feet and think about the importance of footwork

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Attachment:
shove1.png

Was it hard to catch that frame? Did the racket snap in and out of that position at high speed? It's a real question.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Here is my first attempt:

It's very very hard to remove the wrist whip. I was of course trying different things here, like using both arms, then 1 arm. I wasn't even really focused on the ball.

The body movement is flawless but you need to shove your arm out much lower.

Try to get the feeling that you are hitting down on the ball and throwing your arm low and forward.

What about what he's doing with the left arm? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 13:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Attachment:
shove1.png

Watch this one point of an amazing shove. Can you catch the same frame?

https://youtu.be/PQlG2qPbhj8?t=77

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 568  Next