OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 03:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Yeah, let's go back 7 years ago and make a TTEdge trip to a World Tour event! I guess we have to ask @wilkinru, he seems to have the keys for the time machine.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 04:18 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I still don't know how to do 30 second videos but whenever I do, I will send Brett a ton of video....

I did a lot of 3 point drills back and forth and I never really liked the way I move towards a ball to the forehand. I have always been able to do the semi cross but I don't have a good feeling for jumping into the backswing and was wondering whether there was something obvious I could try to make the move towards my right sharper. My knees have their limits obviously but I will do what I can.

https://youtu.be/1eKNUGhEBfw?&t=873

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 04:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Are not those drills useless?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 05:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

fastmover wrote:
Are not those drills useless?

Useless for what? Dating hot chicks?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 05:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I still don't know how to do 30 second videos but whenever I do, I will send Brett a ton of video....

I did a lot of 3 point drills back and forth and I never really liked the way I move towards a ball to the forehand. I have always been able to do the semi cross but I don't have a good feeling for jumping into the backswing and was wondering whether there was something obvious I could try to make the move towards my right sharper. My knees have their limits obviously but I will do what I can.

Just watching real quick, the back swing looks great. Your left knee and foot are turning. Then I pause at the point of contact and see that your torso has not come around, only your arm has. Just pause the video on pretty much any forehand.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 05:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Just watching real quick, the back swing looks great. Your left knee and foot are turning. Then I pause at the point of contact and see that your torso has not come around, only your arm has. Just pause the video on pretty much any forehand.

Thanks for this. That got a bit better later on in the video but it never got all the way there. It gives me a better idea how to test the quality of the movement. Now I just need to figure out how to efficiently execute it.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Thanks for this. That got a bit better later on in the video but it never got all the way there. It gives me a better idea how to test the quality of the movement. Now I just need to figure out how to efficiently execute it.

Perhaps try having the blocker on the other side. Hitting cross court can sometimes naturally solve these issues or force the torso twist. I do this a lot with my "students". They hate it. It's hard work.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 06:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:

Perhaps try having the blocker on the other side. Hitting cross court can sometimes naturally solve these issues or force the torso twist. I do this a lot with my "students". They hate it. It's hard work.

One of the early things I inferred rightly or wrongly from Brett in 2016 was that if your technique is right down the line, it is usually right all the time. I have little doubt that I am compromising the power to keep the drill going and because I am sometimes late to the ball. But if I can get the left foot to settle or to be moving through the contact even on the down the line shot, that will be a technical.jump I hope.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 07:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

One of the early things I inferred rightly or wrongly from Brett in 2016 was that if your technique is right down the line, it is usually right all the time. I have little doubt that I am compromising the power to keep the drill going and because I am sometimes late to the ball. But if I can get the left foot to settle or to be moving through the contact even on the down the line shot, that will be a technical.jump I hope.

I agree but I like to feel the shot being correct before doing the angle that gives me problems. Yeah having the left foot and knee moving feels so natural. I've been able to use it in practice matches but I still forget. I do shadow at the gas station.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 10:00 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
I agree but I like to feel the shot being correct before doing the angle that gives me problems. Yeah having the left foot and knee moving feels so natural. I've been able to use it in practice matches but I still forget. I do shadow at the gas station.

The shot is often correct. Especially when I am in place to take it. I am posting this video because it clearly feels wrong. It even looks better than it felt.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 00:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://youtu.be/cuS4uhwuC4E

Is this a good drill?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 01:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Is this a good drill?

It's a trick question. The real question should be, "is she doing this drill correctly?"

I'm quite serious about this. It's hard to find a "bad" drill but it easy to do it wrong.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 05:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Is this a good drill?

Would it be a good drill even without the ball and roller? Probably.

Is she doing it right? Hell if I know. She sure does it better after 15 seconds. She seems very focused on doing some weird brush on the wheel but then starts hitting the wheel like the other shot. Is her form perfect? It's not bad considering how close to the table she is. Id' be happy with it if it were me.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 08:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I finally tried the G1 fastarc and I find it harder than tenergy 05 and tends to slip more than the G1, likely due to being so hard. Anyway G1 being softer seems more suited for my forehand. Now is a good time to EJ so I'll continue with the G1 - perhaps I can learn something from it being harder (like one would with hard chinese rubbers).

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 12:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
INow is a good time to EJ so I'll continue with the G1 ...

Now is always the best time to EJ. If you want to stock up.on G1 I know where you can get a sweet deal on five unopened sheets.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 568  Next