OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 10:13 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
Richfs wrote:
There was a debate on a swedish table tennis podcast a while ago about the different approach coaches have. Many coaches seem to think that you should move then start the backswing. I don't think it makes sense as there's just no time for that and it does not look like that's what pro players do.

You start the backswing when you need to start it. Not before or after. When moving? Sure. After moving? Sure. You just do it when you need to do it.

Yeah. When you are playing people who play at a snail pace, no one cares. Then all of a sudden the game gets faster and you wonder why when that ball comes to your forehand all you can do is reach for it and pat it upwards.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 10:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

a little content to nitpick

I think the backhand looks a little wonky still. The thumb is in the right spot and I've been doing it in matches too, so that's progress.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
ETTS63 is now available on ttEDGE.com

Quite possibly unpopular opinion but I thought the ETTS63 FZD example video was a poor example. He may be so good that he barely even moves but I didn't really see him pushing back while hitting in the ETTS63 example. I found countless better examples of him doing it much more deliberately.

When it comes to a backhand flick I feel like it's a bit more like a serve. I feel like the forehand and backhand flicks could both use a series that would allow us to build up to having a quality shot.

I was going to say other unpopular things like how FZD is actually getting worse but I know better these days...

Yeah, it wasn't a perfect example, although it's all I have. I don't like to use video that I didn't take or at least someone gave to me. I know you can claim "fair use" for education, but I don't want to do it.

FZD isn't getting worse but he is on a bit of a downswing. There is a very big difference and most people don't understand how it works. I find myself explaining the difference to elite players on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Richfs wrote:
There was a debate on a swedish table tennis podcast a while ago about the different approach coaches have. Many coaches seem to think that you should move then start the backswing. I don't think it makes sense as there's just no time for that and it does not look like that's what pro players do.

You start the backswing when you need to start it. Not before or after. When moving? Sure. After moving? Sure. You just do it when you need to do it.

Yeah. When you are playing people who play at a snail pace, no one cares. Then all of a sudden the game gets faster and you wonder why when that ball comes to your forehand all you can do is reach for it and pat it upwards.

There is nothing to debate.

Russ is right. You start the body rotation/bow when you should. It's almost always immediate, except when the opponents is way back from the table or the ball is hit very slowly.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
a little content to nitpick

I think the backhand looks a little wonky still. The thumb is in the right spot and I've been doing it in matches too, so that's progress.

The forehand is perfect.

Now I have 2 backhands to choose from. The first one looks about right and the second one is slightly disjointed. It means your arm and body worked independently or, in other words, your body didn't actually propel your arm.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Richfs wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
ETTS63 is now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT117 should be an interesting video when it comes out. I've been teaching players how to jump into the backswing for some time, so it's time for a video. It's actually quite a complicated theory although all top players do it.

I'm not going to write too much specifically about coaching India. I'm currently coaching both seniors and junior teams and it's quite an experience. I've benched against Lin Yun Ju which was an interesting experience. That kid is about to leap through the stratosphere and potentially win in Tokyo. I've never seen anything quite like it from close range.

If you have nothing better to do, here is a Brett-time story to help put you to sleep. http://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/o ... 07907.html

and this for the super bored lurker
https://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sp ... 659609.ece

Ironically this is what I've been trying to practice in training when switching between backhand and forehand. I look forward to this vid.
https://youtu.be/kMQvoNfOoUE?t=5
Like Freitas is doing here, sort of a mini hop while spinning his hips back for fh and a mini hop into bow position for the bh. I think you've covered some of it on your videos.

Even more ironically I have been working on this too hence my lament. I am realizing more and more that the only way to get into position fast enough is to think of footwork as connecting rotations for shot sequences and not really as just getting into position. But the knees are so critical to get it right.

Right. Footwork is jumping into connecting rotations and bows.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Richfs wrote:

Form Follows Function.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
My forehand had gone off a few weeks ago and I could not work out why. When I remembered the left knee folding in a week ago in a bit it all came together again. Yes for me this is a breakthrough video.

Yeah, it's all you really need in life.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 11:58 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Richfs wrote:

Form Follows Function.

Can you give an example of when it is optimal to start it after moving? Maybe we are just using words here when the specifics are more important.

I have had people watching my semi cross tell me my approach is wrong because I start the backswing before or while moving.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 12:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Say someone is 30 feet from the table and does a very high lob. You wouldn't start your smash backswing immediately because you'd be stuck at the end of the backswing for 4 seconds. There must be a fairly seamless connection between the backswing and forward swing. You'd wait till the ball is in a zone closer to you and then you'd start the shot. So on a very slow lob, you can walk around and slowly get into position without starting the backswing.

I don't really like that we are talking about backswings and not body rotation / bow. The body moves the arm, so this discussion should really be about when to rotate/bow. In almost every TT situation, you should start the rotation/bow immediately because we are always strapped for time. If you have more time, the rotation/bow should be longer/deeper. If you have less time, the rotation/bow should be smaller. It's a luxury to be able to rotate or bow fully and it rarely ever happens. If a coach tells you that you are rotating too early, they are almost always wrong.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 12:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
Say someone is 30 feet from the table and does a very high lob. You wouldn't start your smash backswing immediately because you'd be stuck at the end of the backswing for 4 seconds. There must be a fairly seamless connection between the backswing and forward swing. You'd wait till the ball is in a zone closer to you and then you'd start the shot. So on a very slow lob, you can walk around and slowly get into position without starting the backswing.

I don't really like that we are talking about backswings and not body rotation / bow. The body moves the arm, so this discussion should really be about when to rotate/bow. In almost every TT situation, you should start the rotation/bow immediately because we are always strapped for time. If you have more time, the rotation/bow should be longer/deeper. If you have less time, the rotation/bow should be smaller. It's a luxury to be able to rotate or bow fully and it rarely ever happens. If a coach tells you that you are rotating too early, they are almost always wrong.

I have considered those things part of the backswing. You move to play a forehand, you need to be in a position when you rotate. When you smash, you need to get side on to the table most of the time and to keep your racket raised on anticipation of the incoming ball. That is why I said it can be semantics. Preparation and getting your feet into the right position is can be defined as part of the backswing. Or not.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 12:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I have considered those things part of the backswing. You move to play a forehand, you need to be in a position when you rotate. When you smash, you need to get side on to the table most of the time and to keep your racket raised on anticipation of the incoming ball. That is why I said it can be semantics. Preparation and getting your feet into the right position is can be defined as part of the backswing. Or not.

Getting your feet into position is about jumping into the backswing on almost all open rally shots.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

[quote="Richfs"]
Ironically this is what I've been trying to practice in training when switching between backhand and forehand. I look forward to this vid.
https://youtu.be/kMQvoNfOoUE?t=5
Like Freitas is doing here, sort of a mini hop while spinning his hips back for fh and a mini hop into bow position for the bh. I think you've covered some of it on your videos./quote]

Freitas is jumping into the backswing on every shot.

He often practices with one of the guys I'm working with, so I watched him from this angle at the Aus Open a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 13:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Form Follows Function.

There is another time where it gets used ALL the time: net balls. You do a backswing and the ball hits the net, the ball loses momentum and then you reset and do it again. If I just wait in the backswing position I will lose any sort of swing speed.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 14:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Form Follows Function.

There is another time where it gets used ALL the time: net balls. You do a backswing and the ball hits the net, the ball loses momentum and then you reset and do it again. If I just wait in the backswing position I will lose any sort of swing speed.

I think my point, in the absence of debate, is that stroke preparation even when you have time often requires you to adopt a stance that biases you towards the shot relatively early even when you have forever to play the shot. If you don't call it backswing, and prefer shot preparation, fine. But even against a net, you aren't going to start our backswing late, you are going mostly hold it while adjusting to the ball or just chop as bailout, which defeats the whole point of optimal shot preparation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 568  Next