OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 09:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Trying some backhand footwork drills. Much less taxing that forehand footwork. I am truly a backhand player.

https://youtu.be/bYYvon4eFDM?t=25

Me pretending to be a forehand player - didn't go too well...

https://youtu.be/4JgKIp7rKu8?t=2072

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 20:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

After way too long and agonizing demand, there is finally a stable version of the Table Tennis Edge app in both stores. All relevant info is below:

Download Links:
Apple: http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/table-te ... mpt=uo%3D4
Android: http://play.google.com/store/apps/detai ... edge.test4

Here is the ad for Table Tennis Edge:

Here's the science behind Table Tennis Edge:

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 20:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Trying some backhand footwork drills. Much less taxing that forehand footwork. I am truly a backhand player.

https://youtu.be/bYYvon4eFDM?t=25

Me pretending to be a forehand player - didn't go too well...

https://youtu.be/4JgKIp7rKu8?t=2072

I like it Laj. I see you've been dreaming about the shove! Forehand looks good too.

I think there is a lot of value in the backhand footwork exercise providing one knows how to play the shot. If someone attempts the footwork without understanding the shot, then the benefits won't be realized. In fact, this the exercise may make ruin someone who is in the early stages of the learning process.

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 23:40 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Just downloaded. Looking forward to giving it a try!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 09:38 

Thanks Brett! The app works great! I don't seem to have the swiping issues either :)

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 12:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Thanks Brett! The app works great! I don't seem to have the swiping issues either :)

Hey Mick, if I remember correctly, I believe you agreed to ensure that every single person in Japan will be downloading the app shortly after it's Android release. I have just checked the download numbers and that doesn't seemed to have have happened yet? Japan is still looking a little empty and I did all of this just for you!

I'm glad that your swiper has improved. Which phone are you using?

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 12:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I get so nervous before an event also. I guess doing more would help but I might just get better at being nervous. I've wanted to throw up at 9-9 in the fifth with them serving. I don't depend on tt but it's the effort and such that create internal pressure.

I wouldn't feel it right now because I've not been preparing for an event.

However Brett should do it for the fun of seeing all of these people he is teaching and possibly old friends. I'm sure a couple of other aussies would be up for it too. Plus I'd come out and coach you. Loop the half long serves and get ready to hit 5 balls in a row. Don't expect them to make any mistakes.

Russ, I've been thinking about your offer and it may have pushed me over the edge...I could be in!

This is exactly the type of advice I'd be looking for in my matches.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You have to play a World Veterans event!

Yeah, won't be doing that.

I'm not even sure if I'll ever play a competitive match again. I may just train for the sake of doing something physical whilst working on the stuff I teach.

I've worked with players who really like training and hated playing in competition. Henzell is a perfect example of this. From a certain perspective, competition destroyed his passion for the sport.

Of course you could argue that competition is the entire sport and I get that. It would make no sense to train if you weren't going to compete, right? I went for a walk this morning and I can assure you that I won't be entering the main event at the next World Walking Veterans Championships, so why the morning walk?

Competition stresses the mind and body. This can be a good and a bad thing. Generally speaking, I would advocate that almost everyone should play competition because it is the most important part of TT. If you are reading this, you should be playing tournaments for sure.

That said, if William Henzell said he wanted to start training again, I'd make sure that he never played a tournament for the rest of his life. One tournament would kill him forever.

One of the greatest perks of being an amateur in the sport is that our lives do not depend on it. We can enjoy as long as it is beneficial and take a break if needed. I can easily imagine how never-ending competition along with external pressures to perform can damage one's well-being.

This is very true. The thought of playing a tennis match doesn't have the same effect on me. I could play every tournament and barely think about it.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 22:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Just downloaded. Looking forward to giving it a try!

Wonderful.

If you play the tall bald ugly guy in ttEDGE Matches > ttEDGE Matches right/left hand, please take it easy on him. He's been through a lot lately.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 10:27 

Brett Clarke wrote:
mickd wrote:

Hey Mick, if I remember correctly, I believe you agreed to ensure that every single person in Japan will be downloading the app shortly after it's Android release. I have just checked the download numbers and that doesn't seemed to have have happened yet? Japan is still looking a little empty and I did all of this just for you!

I'm glad that your swiper has improved. Which phone are you using?

Haha damn. You can see those stats! I'm going to have to up my advertising game! Maybe create some promotional videos in Japanese, then frequent some Japanese table tennis forums and post them!

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8!

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 20:31 

FZD. So beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJydh7Ew3M

I feel like I should try and learn something from this. But whenever I see it, it's like I'm in a trance haha.

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 13:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I know it is about running and not table tennis, but I found it interesting when Kenenisa Bekele (one of the best long-distance runners) shared his views on tactics :)

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 14:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I know it is about running and not table tennis, but I found it interesting when Kenenisa Bekele (one of the best long-distance runners) shared his views on tactics :)

It's amazing he doesn't walk the marathon without preparing some tactics |(

Try to imagine what is happening at a subconscious level. Imagine how his brain is making calculations whilst he is just running. He'd "know" everything about the race. I'm guessing he'd have endless data on the status of his competitors at a gut/subconscious level.

In TT, when the opponent is too far on the forehand side, you are more likely to play to the backhand without conscious thought. Call this whatever you want.

I'm still doing LTT106 most days. If I play/train against Henzell's forehand block, it feels uncomfortable for me to play the imaginary ball back to his forehand. The reason is Henzell is standing unrealistically far over the forehand side. My subconscious makes me feel stupid when I play back to the same spot. I'm sure Bekele would feel stupid deliberately slowing down when there is 100 meters to go in a tight marathon.

I imagine that Bekele is anti-tactic because it all happens properly in an uncontrollable part of his brain.

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 22:05 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Running is like golf - what you do has a very indirect effect on what your opponent does. It is not a zero sum game while being executed.

I think we are all well past the point where we think that tactics are a substitute for playing level.

People who don't play matches or who don't compete to improve don't need tactics. That is the only conclusion I can draw from this. For the rest of us, who like to win and who need to exploit flaws in our opponents which can be amplified by our approach to playing them, tactics are very important.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 07:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

It's amazing he doesn't walk the marathon without preparing some tactics |(

Try to imagine what is happening at a subconscious level. Imagine how his brain is making calculations whilst he is just running. He'd "know" everything about the race. I'm guessing he'd have endless data on the status of his competitors at a gut/subconscious level.

In TT, when the opponent is too far on the forehand side, you are more likely to play to the backhand without conscious thought. Call this whatever you want.

I'm still doing LTT106 most days. If I play/train against Henzell's forehand block, it feels uncomfortable for me to play the imaginary ball back to his forehand. The reason is Henzell is standing unrealistically far over the forehand side. My subconscious makes me feel stupid when I play back to the same spot. I'm sure Bekele would feel stupid deliberately slowing down when there is 100 meters to go in a tight marathon.

I imagine that Bekele is anti-tactic because it all happens properly in an uncontrollable part of his brain.

I think your description only applies to very well-trained and experienced players. When I played matches (that was quite a long time ago) I used to spread my placement only when I had an extra 0.5 second to think. Whenever I had to rely on my subconsciousness I always played the ball in the most "convenient" direction (cross-court).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457 ... 568  Next