OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2020, 07:15 

Here is some footage from yesterday.

https://youtu.be/DRErbcd2ruM

First and foremost, a big thank you to Brett for coming up with the chopblock exercise! It was necessary for me to break my previous pattern. There was some progress and some regression (only temporarily, I hope). Initially, I only use my arm for the slight chopblock. Then, I remember that I am supposed to do the two-step process, but I do it incorrectly. In fact, I am bowing down while hitting the ball. Towards the end, I seem to rectify that mistake on some balls.

After the chopblock exercise, I practiced the usual blocking against FH topspin. The two-step process was implemented better than during the chopblock exercise. When I am in position I hit a fairly flat block (imo). In contrast, when I am out of position, I tend to come over the ball (imo).

https://youtu.be/anPj0Sx3BZU

Last edited by chopblock on 15 Feb 2020, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2020, 07:35 

chopblock wrote:

First and foremost, a big thank you to Brett for coming up with the chopblock exercise! It was necessary for me to break my previous pattern. There was some progress and some regression (only temporarily, I hope). Initially, I only use my arm for the slight chopblock. Then, I remember that I am supposed to do the two-step process, but I do it incorrectly. In fact, I am bowing down while hitting the ball. Towards the end, I seem to rectify that mistake and some balls.

After the chopblock exercise, I practiced the usual blocking against FH topspin. The two-step process was implemented better than during the chopblock exercise. When I am in position I hit a fairly flat block (imo). In contrast, when I am out of position, I tend to come over the ball (imo).

Wow.. what a difference already, very nice work.

@NL Thanks, I had some good wins and losses this season I now wished I had recorded for review. I have been a bit stuck in progress I feel and took some breaks, but I enjoy practicing again and that's whats most important.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 01:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:

First and foremost, a big thank you to Brett for coming up with the chopblock exercise! It was necessary for me to break my previous pattern. There was some progress and some regression (only temporarily, I hope). Initially, I only use my arm for the slight chopblock. Then, I remember that I am supposed to do the two-step process, but I do it incorrectly. In fact, I am bowing down while hitting the ball. Towards the end, I seem to rectify that mistake on some balls.

Hey chopblock

That's exactly how you are going to get there. Use the 2 steps and work with LTT69.

I was super impressed when fastmover gave you the 2 step advice, however, I knew it wouldn't completely solve your issues. You needed a fresh range of experience to create some new pathways. Now you should be able to navigate your way through. You stumbled at first by messing up the 2 steps, and then you worked it out for yourself.

It took me about 25 years to workout LTT69 and a few more on top of that to understand the relevance of the 2 steps, making me a sloth-like genius...or a complete fool!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 03:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
It took me about 25 years to workout LTT69 and a few more on top of that to understand the relevance of the 2 steps, making me a sloth-like genius...or a complete fool!

You can probably comfort yourself by the fact that there are numerous people out there doing it for far longer but still could not figure it out.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2020, 07:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BTW, do you guys remember Brett's shadow swing challenge?

There is a serious contender!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 01:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

A little too young for the Anjumma Brigade? Penholder, too.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 06:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://youtu.be/7KBiA5XMTOg?t=268

I've watched this quite a few times now in slow motion.

So the serve is too high, the player closest to the table gets his feet into position, keeps low and does a nice backs wing. It all makes sense at that point. Then he begins his twist into the ball and in his effort he changes his right leg angle to actually match his left leg, but isn't really twisting like I would expect. He actually uses his left leg to stabilize at the end of the shot.

This is some pretty athletic stuff and I don't quite understand it. Is there anything to be learned here? One interesting advantage is that he hit a powerful shot and kept his balance seemingly entirely ready for another shot. This seems to be quite desirable when one is not in the perfection windmill position.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 07:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think he did a perfect hip-clap forehand.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 14:16 

It's been awhile since I've posted here but I've still been reading and following it all. I've been practicing some specific things Brett has mentioned in some of his videos and if I can, I'll try post some videos for advice.

Recently I've been playing a lot less (down from about 5 times a week to about 2, with zero the last 2 weeks). I started playing against 2 days ago again.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's because I've been watching so many videos in the interim, but I felt like I played really well yesterday. I really felt like going all out and so for all the matches I played, I tried to stay super low and move as much as I could. Needless to say, my legs are sore today haha. But I love the feeling.

I played a really close game losing 1-3 and 2-3 (4 of the sets I lost were also deuce) against a player I feel is probably around 2000 USATT. Beat another player 3-0 very easily that is probably around 1700 but he does use anti, which was tricky sometimes. He wanted to play again and I lost 2-3. Then played a player who I feel is around 2100 (short pips on FH and long pips on BH, push blocker style with occasional chopping and smashes). I lost 1-3 but felt like I did really well.

I've been stuck at what I feel is around 1800 for a long time now. Hopefully I'll be able to make a jump in level soon...

EDIT: Unfortunately I didn't record any of them because it was at my main club, which isn't convenient to set a camera up. Also in the past I've been told I'm not allowed to record in the building without permission. Though I think the club has gotten authorization on my behalf for it.

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2020, 22:53 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
mickd wrote:
Recently I've been playing a lot less (down from about 5 times a week to about 2, with zero the last 2 weeks). I started playing against 2 days ago again.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's because I've been watching so many videos in the interim, but I felt like I played really well yesterday.

I sometimes feel that a short break is beneficial. I suspect it is a combination of things: your body is more rested, you concentrate a little harder, and are more relaxed in general. Plus, watching videos of better players gives you a different idea of what a reasonable shot is, because that becomes the norm for a time.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 00:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Is there anything to be learned here?

Don't serve long side-topspin to a good attacking player unless you want to take a walk.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2020, 17:00 

Hello all.

Here's my recent backhand drive against underspin technique. I'm looking for specific or general advice. Any discussions welcome, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8QnG_fzrI

What I've changed from before (for better or worse, I'm not sure):
1. Using less wrist.
------ I used to on purposely use my wrist which caused a lot of wrist pain.
------ I found that letting it flow naturally helped prevent a lot of the pain.
------ This also meant I concentrated more on using the body.
------ I guess changing my regular backhand technique like this has also crept into my backhand against underspin.
2. Trying to get lower at the knees by squatting.
------ I find that getting lower improves my consistency and power.
------ I've been pretty into the video of Ma Long doing multiball that was linked awhile back where he thrusts his hips forward.
3. Trying to thrust my hips forward.
------ You'll see me sometimes shadow stroke what I'm trying to do after certain balls.
------ I feel like I'm not there yet, but it's a start.
4. Having my weight on my left foot (as a left hander) for backhands as well as forehands.
------ I used to always have my weight on the left foot for forehands only and right foot for backhands.
------ I found that having the weigh on the left foot for backhands as well greatly increased my consistency.
------ I feel like I can rotate better into the ball. Quite a few people I've spoken to recently have mentioned doing it this way, too.
5. Finally, 'unsquatting' to help lift the ball and generate power.
------ Nothing to add here!

For this particular video, I was also trying the leg lift on serves as per Brett's recent(ish) video. I used to stomp a lot more but found that recently I just did a back to forward leg weight transfer without actually lifting the leg or stomping. So I'm trying that out again.

Questions I have in particular are:
1. Are the things above (and of course from the video) progress in the right direction?
------ I feel that I have too little arm and wrist usage nowadays. The coach I went to last year had such a different basic backhand drive against underspin.
------ It looked like he had his racket always facing down, whipping his arm with a relaxed wrist (which made it very wristy) into the ball.
------ I feel like I just can't get it like his, but not sure if my current way is something I should work towards improving or if I should go back to the drawing board.
------ Personally I feel like this particular style I'm going for now is more about the solid contact into the ball.
------ Also, I feel like it shares resemblances to how Hirano Miu backhand loops.
2. Anything in particular that I'm completely missing?
3. What do you see?

I'm particular interested in just the backhand drive for this, but of course, if you see anything else, feel free to point it out too.

Lastly, I started off going a little more gentle and in the second half of the video I was trying to be more aggressive. I think my partner was getting used to the ball I was hitting so we had some decent rallies later, too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this was after the 2 week break I had so I feel like that helped change my technique a lot for this particular video!

Looking forward to any advice.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 14:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Hello all.

Here's my recent backhand drive against underspin technique. I'm looking for specific or general advice. Any discussions welcome, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8QnG_fzrI

What I've changed from before (for better or worse, I'm not sure):
1. Using less wrist.
------ I used to on purposely use my wrist which caused a lot of wrist pain.
------ I found that letting it flow naturally helped prevent a lot of the pain.
------ This also meant I concentrated more on using the body.
------ I guess changing my regular backhand technique like this has also crept into my backhand against underspin.
2. Trying to get lower at the knees by squatting.
------ I find that getting lower improves my consistency and power.
------ I've been pretty into the video of Ma Long doing multiball that was linked awhile back where he thrusts his hips forward.
3. Trying to thrust my hips forward.
------ You'll see me sometimes shadow stroke what I'm trying to do after certain balls.
------ I feel like I'm not there yet, but it's a start.
4. Having my weight on my left foot (as a left hander) for backhands as well as forehands.
------ I used to always have my weight on the left foot for forehands only and right foot for backhands.
------ I found that having the weigh on the left foot for backhands as well greatly increased my consistency.
------ I feel like I can rotate better into the ball. Quite a few people I've spoken to recently have mentioned doing it this way, too.
5. Finally, 'unsquatting' to help lift the ball and generate power.
------ Nothing to add here!

For this particular video, I was also trying the leg lift on serves as per Brett's recent(ish) video. I used to stomp a lot more but found that recently I just did a back to forward leg weight transfer without actually lifting the leg or stomping. So I'm trying that out again.

Questions I have in particular are:
1. Are the things above (and of course from the video) progress in the right direction?
------ I feel that I have too little arm and wrist usage nowadays. The coach I went to last year had such a different basic backhand drive against underspin.
------ It looked like he had his racket always facing down, whipping his arm with a relaxed wrist (which made it very wristy) into the ball.
------ I feel like I just can't get it like his, but not sure if my current way is something I should work towards improving or if I should go back to the drawing board.
------ Personally I feel like this particular style I'm going for now is more about the solid contact into the ball.
------ Also, I feel like it shares resemblances to how Hirano Miu backhand loops.
2. Anything in particular that I'm completely missing?
3. What do you see?

I'm particular interested in just the backhand drive for this, but of course, if you see anything else, feel free to point it out too.

Lastly, I started off going a little more gentle and in the second half of the video I was trying to be more aggressive. I think my partner was getting used to the ball I was hitting so we had some decent rallies later, too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this was after the 2 week break I had so I feel like that helped change my technique a lot for this particular video!

Looking forward to any advice.

Hey Mick,

I like it a lot. The serve movement looks great and the backhand topspin feels right to me.

You are right about trying to use the wrist on the backhand. It should just be something that happens automatically with the momentum of the entire movement (legs>hips>core>arm>hand). Your understanding of the squat and thrust is there and there and that's all your really need. legs>hips>core>arm>hand is just junk information that could really stuff you up if you think about it enough, even if it's true. Just keep squatting and thrusting.

Remember that most elite players don't know what they are doing. It means that it's not extremely important to understand every little aspect of the shot. What I'm trying to say is, you should just keep squatting and thrusting because it's right so far. There is no need to intimately understand every micro movement that happens with or without your intellectual understanding. I'm looking at the shot and it looks right to me.

It's very easy for me to coach young children. I show them the move and they just replicate it without the desire for granular knowledge.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 14:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm working on 2020. I have footage and scripts but I have some miles to go before delivery.

2020 isn't exactly new information. It's more of a consolidation of what I teach. Members send their own footage and I give them a list of videos to watch. I want to be able to say that video 2020X is the only thing they need to watch.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 22:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
My most recent flip video vs backspin. Did a few forehands, and then a few backhands.

Forehands:
https://youtu.be/SB5Uic6yg-I?t=104

Backhands:
https://youtu.be/SB5Uic6yg-I?t=497

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 568  Next