OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 00:35 

Very sad. Played 5 matches and won 0. There is good news though. At least everyone at my local club is better than me. Or is that bad news... :sweat:

I found a lot of problems that I need to work on too. I think I'm losing "100 rating" every few months.

I think it's time to work on my game. Sorry students. After 4 years of blocking and pushing, I really need to get better myself too ;(

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 00:41 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
mickd wrote:
Very sad. Played 5 matches and won 0. There is good news though. At least everyone at my local club is better than me. Or is that bad news... :sweat:

I found a lot of problems that I need to work on too. I think I'm losing "100 rating" every few months.

I think it's time to work on my game. Sorry students. After 4 years of blocking and pushing, I really need to get better myself too ;(

I am going through some depression through. Currently in well above physical shape for me and I have a tournament tomorrow. I have struggled all week in practice, losing games and matches to people i usually beat with ease. The worst week to go through a slump...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 01:18 

Good luck at the tournament NL! If you can, get some videos :)

I'm confident this tournament is what you need to get past the slump.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 02:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

mickd wrote:
Good luck at the tournament NL! If you can, get some videos :)

I'm confident this tournament is what you need to get past the slump.

Thanks, mickd. Will definitely get some videos - just hope I won't be too disgusted to watch them...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 03:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:

Do not put.much emotional energy into one day. It leads to disappointment. Ot's actually worse to have your best day and smash everyone 3-0, then lose to most of them the next time bc that wasn't your real level.

Too many non-TT-skill factors can alter one day's result. How you slept and ate, how was work, are you stressed, argued with a partner, BS like that, you know, life.

If you always lose to.all.five of them.then ok, you suck relative to your club. Be happy, you always get to play someone better.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 05:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Thanks, mickd. Will definitely get some videos - just hope I won't be too disgusted to watch them...

No worries. We will watch them and tell you how bad you did.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 06:10 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
You work on your game and have a breakthrough. You play the best you have ever played. Table tennis is easy!!!

Then comes the level drop and you never play at that level for ages.

I was wondering from members here, how long your best play phase lasted . And how long your slumps have lasted.

It seems 95% of the time I play I have played better at some past time.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 06:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Well I managed to beat Brett, Trevor and William today on the Extreme levels both left handed and right handed. So it can't be that bad....

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Downswings hurt.

We tend to attach a little of our self worth to poor performance and often justify away the good stuff.

After bad losses, players tend to go into a mode where they need to "fix" a bunch of stuff. Although there may be some truth to this, it's probably not the reason you just lost to someone you normally beat. BRS mentioned some real reasons above, although no one knows the absolute truth.

This thread has been labeled a TJ thread etc, and it's as funny as hell. Let's call it that forever because it's totally funny. But the sad truth is, I just try to get people to use their body correctly and practice and it really shouldn't take that long. It's not like you have to fix your backhand and forehand after each loss. If you believe that, then you are a real TJ.

Take mickd for example. He has posted his forehand and backhand a lot. I just say that it's good, although sometimes I explain why. 95% of the time I just tell NL that his shots are good. I do the same in almost all of my email replies to students and I've posted this before.

I once went to an international tournament with Henzell. This particular tournament goes for days and it feels like you get to play everyone. I won most of my matches and Henzell lost most of his. He was depressed and I was happy, but his happened only once in our lives. I had a good tournament and Henzell had a shocking tournament. What should we do about it?

I normally kill the TTE app these days. It started to feel slow to the point of me believing that there was something wrong with my phone's processor. I seriously had to try it on another phone to eliminate this possibility. This is when you know you've improved - when you think there is something wrong with your opponents.

Today I picked up the app and lost to Trevor on Advanced. That's like me losing to someone 400 points below me. What should I do? What do I have to "fix". Is this a downswing? What do I have to do to come back?

There are a lot of international players who have been training exclusively with robots in lock down. It's seems to be everyone who I've ever coached in a half-close relationship. I believe that all of these players are in for a big shock when they play their first matches, especially against people who have been playing matches against humans. I can feel a bunch of downswings coming on, though I don't want to tell players that because it may induce the downswings.

My post makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not even sure if I have a point?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:

It's really hard to coach and play at the same time.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Recently I've been struggling a little with doing a down the line serve. As a leftie, this would generally be a fast serve to a rightie's backhand.

I actually used to have a very effective down the line long serve but I lost the ability to do it after I started to get the ball toss closer to my body. So sometimes I've still been tossing the ball a little further from my body when I intend to do the long down the line serve. But what I'd like to do is have the same ball toss location.

Has anyone had any issues like this in the past? Any advice? I'm thinking I just need to get my racket hand further behind my body by having my elbow higher. It feels a little uncomfortable but I guess I can try and get used to it.

Though the best advice would probably be get a bucket of balls and spend some time practicing it :oops:

Show me your serve

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Probably the last time I am going to do this at this intensity - my right knee is sore as hell now... and I still can't bring the body round with the legs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSbJ0PkgSrs

It looks good.

Don't hurt yourself. Just do what you can.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 13:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
I ordered a H3 Neo 37 the other day.

I ordered a sheet of D09c today. It is cut, used three weeks, and was FS on mytt for $37. But NL says it gets better when the tack wears off. And aliexpress orders are taking forever! My chinese rubber ej jones will not wait 85 days!

Aliexpress sucks atm. There is probably some guy running around India will all of my stuff I've ordered in Feb.

Waiting 85 days can't work. It's like needing some ice-cream right now and someone says that it's coming in a week.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 22:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
You work on your game and have a breakthrough. You play the best you have ever played. Table tennis is easy!!!

I was wondering from members here, how long your best play phase lasted . And how long your slumps have lasted.

My best play phase lasted for most of one day at a tournament in September 2017. The slump that followed lasted until December 2019 and included my switch from inverted to short pips bh in utter disgust with my inability to play at my best level. Last November/December I was in Washington DC and played league regularly at a club there. After three weeks or so playing pretty good I got on a roll, and over the last two weeks, four league nights, I lost one match. So roughly 19-1. By the end of it I was crushing 2000 players 3-0. But more than that, I was walking up to the table already having won. There was zero doubt in my mind whatsoever, this fool couldn't touch me. My league rating ended up very close to that previous best tournament rating from 2017.

Of course like Brett said, now I haven't played a human for six months, with maybe 12 months more quarantine to go. I'm training with a robot. A massive slump is unavoidable. So let's say over five years I have 15 days of peak, and 1,810 days of slump. And that is only because I had a magic two weeks. I'm lucky.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 23:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
maurice101 wrote:

My best play phase lasted for most of one day at a tournament in September 2017. The slump that followed lasted until December 2019 and included my switch from inverted to short pips bh in utter disgust with my inability to play at my best level. Last November/December I was in Washington DC and played league regularly at a club there. After three weeks or so playing pretty good I got on a roll, and over the last two weeks, four league nights, I lost one match. So roughly 19-1. By the end of it I was crushing 2000 players 3-0. But more than that, I was walking up to the table already having won. There was zero doubt in my mind whatsoever, this fool couldn't touch me. My league rating ended up very close to that previous best tournament rating from 2017.

Of course like Brett said, now I haven't played a human for six months, with maybe 12 months more quarantine to go. I'm training with a robot. A massive slump is unavoidable. So let's say over five years I have 15 days of peak, and 1,810 days of slump. And that is only because I had a magic two weeks. I'm lucky.

Ben you are really a classic!

The truth is, you started playing in your 40s and got to 2050 or something. Then you got to about the same in league last year. You are the only person that would argue about your relative success, which proves my point above about players reverse cherry picking their own results.

I could tell you the story of my tt career in the same way. There were multiple 2 year periods when I didn't win a match (at least in my opinion). In 1995 and 96, I didn't beat anyone. I even lost first round of the nationals and that was par for the time. I could go on all day with more years of complete failure. Most of the time when I think back, I can only remember my bad losses.

And don't let me put you off your game. Maybe using the robot will help your game and you'll continue where you left off. Don't let a washed up fool like me put nonsense into your head.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500 ... 568  Next