OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 06:08 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
ziv wrote:
Akifumi Hamakawa explaining his reverse pendulum serve. Why do they keep calling it "YG serve", by the way?
The guy once came to BTTC and won the Open event beating Thomas Keinath in the final. He was incredible!
And according to USATT records, fastmover played him once.

After doing some basic Translation / Transliteration / head-scratching and headbanging ...

Following is what I found out about "YG serve"

逆回転
Yoko gyaku kaiten

This is the closest I came to figuring out what is exactly "YG" ... I think it stands for the Reverse TomahawkPendulum serve ...

Y--- yoko ( cross?horizontal ??) G--- gyaku ( under?sub?reverse?) so hence YG ... Yoko,Gyaku Serve...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 07:56 

YG stands for young generation because it's a newer serve mostly only used by the younger players. And yeah, the YG serve is the reverse pendulum serve.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 08:18 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
mickd wrote:
YG stands for young generation because it's a newer serve mostly only used by the younger players. And yeah, the YG serve is the reverse pendulum serve.

You better have some proof for that and not repeating what someone said jokingly or without seriousness.

Im not a fan of people who parrot things, this is not a flat-earth society we are running here :-D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 08:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
man_iii wrote:
mickd wrote:

You better have some proof for that and not repeating what someone said jokingly or without seriousness.

Im not a fan of people who parrot things, this is not a flat-earth society we are running here :-D

I have heard that from other people as well - I was going to respond but I wasn't sure what the point was. Mickd also speaks and translates Japanese and lives in Japan. No need to accuse of him of joking around.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 09:57 

man_iii wrote:

Hey man_iii. It's just what everyone here says YG stands for.

However, you can see young generation being referred to in the Japanese table tennis Wikipedia page as well.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%93%E7%90%83

Search for "YG" and you'll see in brackets after it ヤングジェネレーション (yangu jenereeshon). Look up ヤング and ジェネレーション in a Japanese dictionary and you'll get young and generation.

To answer your other questions:

man_iii wrote:

逆回転
Yoko gyaku kaiten

This is the closest I came to figuring out what is exactly "YG" ... I think it stands for the Reverse TomahawkPendulum serve ...

Y--- yoko ( cross?horizontal ??) G--- gyaku ( under?sub?reverse?) so hence YG ... Yoko,Gyaku Serve...

横 (yoko) means side in this context (ie for side spin).
逆回転 (gyakukaiten) means reverse spin.

NextLevel wrote:
I have heard that from other people as well - I was going to respond but I wasn't sure what the point was. Mickd also speaks and translates Japanese and lives in Japan. No need to accuse of him of joking around.

Thanks NL :)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 13:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Mickd, can you also translate why the guy in the red shirt is deliberately mis-reading the serve and pretending that he doesn't get it?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 13:37 

I know you're just having some fun with that question Brett, but I'll reply anyway :rofl:

I knew what you meant because I've seen a lot of his videos already but I just had to watch the video to see it once more. He pretends so hard. I love his reactions when he does it too. It's like he's super confused. Of course he's just doing it to demonstrate the amount of spin on it if you just let the spin react off the racket. But most people who do that don't have a reaction like they were actually trying to return it.

But I guess that's just his style and part of his appeal. He is a little over the top with his reactions (I think that appeals a lot to the younger people, especially since so many middle and high school kids in their school's table tennis clubs would be watching his videos). Then there are probably some of the younger kids who might not realise it and actually think the serve is completely unreturnable. But in their defense, if they could do such a high spin serve like Akifumi, they'd be beating all the local players easily!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 12:51 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Does anyone know what the rpm for pro backspin and topspin and sidespin serves is or can be with the new plastic ball? Or any other TT ball? Trying to figure out what it is reasonable to configure a robot to shoot.

Thanks in advance.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2020, 13:29 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Examples from Ma Long in 2019 China Open (which had ball tracking technology!):
19393 1858 rpm on serve
19394 7344 rpm on winner

I cant find the link to support this now though.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 20:10 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

NextLevel wrote:
I still don't know how to do 30 second videos but whenever I do, I will send Brett a ton of video....

I did a lot of 3 point drills back and forth and I never really liked the way I move towards a ball to the forehand. I have always been able to do the semi cross but I don't have a good feeling for jumping into the backswing and was wondering whether there was something obvious I could try to make the move towards my right sharper. My knees have their limits obviously but I will do what I can.

https://youtu.be/1eKNUGhEBfw?&t=873

So working with Russ's observation, this is the next step. Still needs a bit more work to look smoother (if that is ever possible), but it looks generally in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/lvCYbBc8Ds0?t=1297

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 04:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

So working with Russ's observation, this is the next step. Still needs a bit more work to look smoother (if that is ever possible), but it looks generally in the right direction.

On some shots I can see more turn for sure. So yeah progress. Would your blocking partner be upset if you missed more? Worth trying to really go for the forehands at times too. Yeah you will make more mistakes. Maybe that isn't the goal here, just a thought.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 06:41 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

On some shots I can see more turn for sure. So yeah progress. Would your blocking partner be upset if you missed more? Worth trying to really go for the forehands at times too. Yeah you will make more mistakes. Maybe that isn't the goal here, just a thought.

Thanks.

I would be upset if I missed more, for me it is a footwork drill, not a hit the ball past my blocking partner drill, and I don't get reps if the ball doesn't come back or if he can't put the ball where we agreed it should be. Though if I get more proficient and he can maintain the blocking, I might up the speed/spin next time.

I also try to model for him how to focus on a drill, so trying to hit the ball past him would defeat all that since he often gets sucked into that and makes subtle compromises to technique that ultimately hold back his game.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 11:58 

I like it better than the last one NL :)

If I was to say something, it would be that sometimes it looks like you're not rotating back into the ball during contact. I've been thinking about this in my game too, especially when going down the line. So I'm not sure if what I'm saying is right or wrong. Let this be food for thought or just something that you can ignore if it's completely off. But the way I see it in my mind is that if you're contacting the ball at the back of the backswing (ie when the body is rotated back), but don't rotate forward into the ball, you're mostly using your arm to power the stroke (and possibly some leg pushing up and forward a little). I'm not sure if I can describe it well, but I feel like letting the arm lag a bit (best i can describe it, sorry) allows you to go down the line while rotating into the ball. Kinda like giving the ball a tiny bit of a fade instead of curling inwards. It's all very subtle so maybe you've got that feeling down and I'm just not seeing it clearly in the video.

On a separate note (sorry, I really want to share), I finally had the chance to play some games yesterday and I did amazingly well. I won 2 opponents 3-0 (one I haven't played in years who does well against opponents I can't beat, and one that I usually take 1 set off) and lost to 2 opponents 2-3 (ones that I've never beaten and usually lose 0-3, taking the occasional set). I feel the things I've been working on recently are starting to creep into my game. If I were to self evaluate my level, I feel like I've gone from 1800 to a relatively solid 1900. I think once I can start beating the 2 I lost to, I'll be around 2000. My goal is to get a lot higher, but baby steps are important for my mental health haha.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 15:14 

mickd wrote:

On a separate note (sorry, I really want to share), I finally had the chance to play some games yesterday and I did amazingly well. I won 2 opponents 3-0 (one I haven't played in years who does well against opponents I can't beat, and one that I usually take 1 set off) and lost to 2 opponents 2-3 (ones that I've never beaten and usually lose 0-3, taking the occasional set). I feel the things I've been working on recently are starting to creep into my game. If I were to self evaluate my level, I feel like I've gone from 1800 to a relatively solid 1900. I think once I can start beating the 2 I lost to, I'll be around 2000. My goal is to get a lot higher, but baby steps are important for my mental health haha.

Awesome! Which elements of your match play do you think improved the most?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 22:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

mickd wrote:

Good stuff - beware of the vengeance matches (revenge is the best part of table tennis).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!