OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568  Next
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 11:45 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Maybe it is coming forward. I probably come forward on most strokes so I probably can't tell the difference.

https://youtu.be/OGx-65Y5Uv4

That is one example. I will find another. I just feel (and I could be completely wrong) that as good as the shot is, you could be a bit more aggressive with it as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 11:53 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

As for my game, I am trying to get back into training after a long hiatus. Moved to Texas. No full time clubs close by (nearest is a 45 minute drive) so I try to play on weekends.

I was using a Mazunov with Fastarc C1 when I stopped playing. So I resumed and used that. But I kept struggling to put quality on the ball and to control it. So I switched to hybrid sticky rubbers and a carbon blade because I wanted lighter head weight with heavier rubbers. So far I have played reasonably well and I am getting closer to my old level.

A part of me wants to test Hurricane but I haven't listened to it yet. A part of me says I should go back to All wood but I haven't listened to that either.

I think my technique on both sides is largely better. My problem is still largely the same (lower body movement) and I have nagging shoulder issues. But I am happy with my game at the moment. I might play a tournament later this year.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 12:02 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://youtu.be/QmB0eNfpTrc

There should be a circular feeling to the stroke. Maybe you already have it. You should swing and pull the elbow a bit backwards on the follow through. This gives your stroke room for the backhand topspin to be a bit like.a forehand topspin.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 13:34 

NextLevel wrote:
Maybe it is coming forward. I probably come forward on most strokes so I probably can't tell the difference.

That is one example. I will find another. I just feel (and I could be completely wrong) that as good as the shot is, you could be a bit more aggressive with it as well.

Thanks for providing this example and the WRM one. Imo, Lily's stroke looks fairly different from Harada's stroke. E.g., the finishing positions are different and he emphasizes swinging the blade down (what you said in your previous comment) whereas she doesn't. My stroke looks closer to what Lily's doing.

To be honest, I am happy that I can hit it like this in practice. As mentioned before, there's a long way to go before I execute it in matches. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but the stroke is functional enough and my priority is being able to execute this version in a match rather than changing my technique too much at this point.

Attachments:
H02.png
H02.png [ 912.37 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]
H01.png
H01.png [ 913.46 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]
L02.png
L02.png [ 974.35 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]
L01.png
L01.png [ 964.64 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 13:43 

NextLevel wrote:
https://youtu.be/QmB0eNfpTrc

There should be a circular feeling to the stroke. Maybe you already have it. You should swing and pull the elbow a bit backwards on the follow through. This gives your stroke room for the backhand topspin to be a bit like.a forehand topspin.

I think that my swing is fairly circular. I don't do the elbow thing that you're suggesting, but I don't think Lily is doing that either.

Until now I practiced this stroke based on Brett's advice, i.e. hips back, hips forward. Lily, Harada, and others suggest shifting the weight from the left leg to the right leg. In other words, there are various ways to execute this stroke.

Actually, one of my friends also suggested to do that plus jumping a tiny bit forward. Here's a clip of me practicing based on his suggestion. I told him the same thing as you, i.e. I don't want to change my technique too much at this point.

https://youtu.be/ip7LgX4tVkk

Last edited by chopblock on 02 Mar 2023, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 13:53 

NextLevel wrote:
As for my game, I am trying to get back into training after a long hiatus. Moved to Texas. No full time clubs close by (nearest is a 45 minute drive) so I try to play on weekends.

I was using a Mazunov with Fastarc C1 when I stopped playing. So I resumed and used that. But I kept struggling to put quality on the ball and to control it. So I switched to hybrid sticky rubbers and a carbon blade because I wanted lighter head weight with heavier rubbers. So far I have played reasonably well and I am getting closer to my old level.

A part of me wants to test Hurricane but I haven't listened to it yet. A part of me says I should go back to All wood but I haven't listened to that either.

I think my technique on both sides is largely better. My problem is still largely the same (lower body movement) and I have nagging shoulder issues. But I am happy with my game at the moment. I might play a tournament later this year.

It's nice that you are getting back into the game!

I was slightly surprised when I read on your profile that you are using an Innerforce blade because I remembered that you posted on myTT that you wanted to get a Mazunov clone. Guess I am not the only one who's EJing :D

I tried Hurricane Neo 3, but I prefer other rubbers for my FH (e.g. K3, Hammond Z2, Jupiter 3, Big Dipper).

Enjoy the TT journey and good luck with the tournament (if you decide to go)!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 14:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Thanks for providing this example and the WRM one. Imo, Lily's stroke looks fairly different from Harada's stroke. E.g., the finishing positions are different and he emphasizes swinging the blade down (what you said in your previous comment) whereas she doesn't. My stroke looks closer to what Lily's doing.

To be honest, I am happy that I can hit it like this in practice. As mentioned before, there's a long way to go before I execute it in matches. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but the stroke is functional enough and my priority is being able to execute this version in a match rather than changing my technique too much at this point.

By far and away the most important thing is that you are happy with your stroke. Yes the videos are different, and that is not thr Gucci video I wanted to find but it can be hard to find stuff on the internet when I don't speak/write Japanese. Harada doesnt even pull back the elbow quite like I would.

My TT philosophy rightly or wrongly has always been to build up towards fast swings that use spin to add safety and I felt there was some room to add some spin to the swing to add safety and build match confidence. That said, my approach to training TT is usually to just try stuff and see whether it works so my approach may not be the best for someone serious about (and more importantly happy with) their game.

PS: Looking at the video with your friend recommendation, the context is practice but the swing and ball quality look better and there seems to be a bit more leg/hip rotation driving the stroke. As I tell people I coach, the key to TT is figure our ways to help the body drive the upper arm. But there is no point in a stroke you are not happy with. And I dont think one needs to literally jump to play any stroke in TT.

Last edited by NextLevel on 02 Mar 2023, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 14:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

It's nice that you are getting back into the game!

I was slightly surprised when I read on your profile that you are using an Innerforce blade because I remembered that you posted on myTT that you wanted to get a Mazunov clone. Guess I am not the only one who's EJing :D

I tried Hurricane Neo 3, but I prefer other rubbers for my FH (e.g. K3, Hammond Z2, Jupiter 3, Big Dipper).

Enjoy the TT journey and good luck with the tournament (if you decide to go)!

Thanks, I unfortunately buy a lot of TT stuff that I never play with. Rather than buy new stuff, I decided that my discontinued T5000s, one of which I bought in a deal brokered by ooakforum, were the best starting point since the plastic ball makes everything usable. I already have an agreement to get a blade made by Sergio but I might change the design or never use it.

Golden Tango has been a pretty pleasant surprise for me and it still be a while before the EJ bug wins out, though I have some rubber waiting for me to test it lol...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 16:33 

NextLevel wrote:
PS: Looking at the video with your friend recommendation, the context is practice but the swing and ball quality look better and there seems to be a bit more leg/hip rotation driving the stroke. As I tell people I coach, the key to TT is figure our ways to help the body drive the upper arm. But there is no point in a stroke you are not happy with. And I dont think one needs to literally jump to play any stroke in TT.

Comparing my base stroke (hips back, hips forward) to the one my friend suggested (hip rotation) on a like for like basis (i.e. with a multiball feed), I would say that the ball quality is roughly the same. Imo, it's difficult to say if one is better than the other or vice versa.

https://youtu.be/Ltpg0B8-TZc

I agree that you don't need to jump for any stroke in TT, but I was willing to try what my friend suggested. Not sure he had a specific reason other than repeating what his coach had told him at some point and he probably doesn't know himself ;) The other day I asked him how he gets so much spin on his pendulum serve and his honest reply was, "I don't know how to explain it."

NextLevel wrote:
My TT philosophy rightly or wrongly has always been to build up towards fast swings that use spin to add safety and I felt there was some room to add some spin to the swing to add safety and build match confidence. That said, my approach to training TT is usually to just try stuff and see whether it works so my approach may not be the best for someone serious about (and more importantly happy with) their game.

I understand your approach to TT. In fact, I think that mine is not so different except that you are willing to experiment more than I do. My current approach is to stick with a technique if I think it's sufficiently functional and if I feel comfortable with the technique. The reason is that I will revert to whatever feels most comfortable in a match situation.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 16:38 

NextLevel wrote:
Thanks, I unfortunately buy a lot of TT stuff that I never play with. Rather than buy new stuff, I decided that my discontinued T5000s, one of which I bought in a deal brokered by ooakforum, were the best starting point since the plastic ball makes everything usable. I already have an agreement to get a blade made by Sergio but I might change the design or never use it.

Golden Tango has been a pretty pleasant surprise for me and it still be a while before the EJ bug wins out, though I have some rubber waiting for me to test it lol...

I guess that's one of the side effects of Ejing. iirc the wait list for Sergio's blades is quite long, so you might change your mind by the time the blade arrives :D

What other rubbers do you have in the pipeline?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2023, 08:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

The main thing I have is two sheets of the new MK rubber.

Oh, I am not going to use whatever blade I buy from Sergio barring a miracle - I am pretty sure of that.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2023, 08:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Awesome to see you playing again NL!

I've been training for the last couple of months and finally went to a club and lost to three people 2-3 :)

The one thing I'm entirely missing is my legs. Found this 10 minute leg exercise video that ruins me for 48 hours.

It's going to take at least a year to get anywhere. Baby steps right?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023, 08:06 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:

I've been training for the last couple of months and finally went to a club and lost to three people 2-3 :)

The one thing I'm entirely missing is my legs. Found this 10 minute leg exercise video that ruins me for 48 hours.

Do you ever get out to Dr Dayo's club in Vegas? I also have a friend who used to live in Atlanta and New Orleans who moved out there and plays at that club.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2023, 08:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Do you ever get out to Dr Dayo's club in Vegas? I also have a friend who used to live in Atlanta and New Orleans who moved out there and plays at that club.

I plan to soon. The comeback is really challenging... The best part of that place is the AC :D That club is now closest to me so yeah it's the best chance for me to get some games in.

Need to get my legs back then I will go there this summer. Truth is even right now I'm around my 2017 level - so progressing well.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2023, 17:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just came across this channel. Looks like stuff that's relatively easy to put into practice, and I'll be trying this. Looks like he talks about stuff Brett's talked about before, including cocking the wrist back at the beginning of the stroke, and raising the level of the head (actually unbending the knees) during the stroke.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568  Next