OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 19:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I think this forum will disillusion anyone very quickly.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 19:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:

Yeah, that's why there are only 6 people posting here. The rest wisely ran away.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 19:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:

Yeah, that's why there are only 6 people posting here. The rest wisely ran away.

Exactly! Handling a disillusion is hard. I myself stopped posting videos and turned to posting stupid jokes after being disillusioned.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 22:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:

Exactly! Handling a disillusion is hard. I myself stopped posting videos and turned to posting stupid jokes after being disillusioned.

Almost every ttEDGE member prefers to send me videos directly, if they are into recording. This even includes some of the regular OOAK forum posters, which is a very narrow field.

It's okay to just make stupid jokes here too. I think I may have made one or two stupid jokes, now that I think about it. Sometimes I also try to post some interesting content, from time to time.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 08:31 

I've been told to stop twisting my knees and waist and just to keep the bottom half of my body completely still during shots if I want to improve because it's not the right way to play anymore. Apparently it's how table tennis was 50 years ago. Thoughts???

I'm going to comment about this in my next post, which may include some video about this or other unrelated (but table tennis related) things! Or maybe I'll split them :) Not sure yet!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 08:31 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Brett Clarke wrote:
Quote:

LMFTFY: Yeah that's why there are only 6 people posting here. The rest wisely stay on the sidelines as interested onlookers.

Actually for me, this topic appears to be for TTEdge subscribers of which I am not one. I enjoy reading what goes on here. I am of an age and level where I will probably only get a little better in terms of technique before age takes more of its toll, while I find that strategy and tactics count for far more. My age? 61. My level? Currently around 1400 Central Ratings scale, unless someone has put more results in since last I looked.

Carry on.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 08:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

While my practice partners don't loop the ball with a ton of spin or speed I'm finding it easier to counter loop as opposed to blocking the ball in. It's more consistent or seems to be? Is this some sort of tacky Chinese rubber trick? Passive block doesn't seem to work great at all - being somewhat active tends to work better but if I counter loop then it just goes in. This is assuming I can get a swing in.

With all of that said the people I'm working with don't really loop with power generally. Still it seems like this is opening up the door for baiting people to give a slower loop (half long balls?) and then attacking it.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 08:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
- Playing matches is far better for me than training exercises. Exercises are for people who are learning stuff, so there is still a real need for them. I personally prefer to train myself during matches which is the best of both worlds for me.
- I'd be more scared of playing someone who is match tough than someone who has been doing lots of exercises.

Besides just playing matches, any drills that include a scoring system (or w/e) that are more match like?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 09:32 

wilkinru wrote:
While my practice partners don't loop the ball with a ton of spin or speed I'm finding it easier to counter loop as opposed to blocking the ball in. It's more consistent or seems to be? Is this some sort of tacky Chinese rubber trick? Passive block doesn't seem to work great at all - being somewhat active tends to work better but if I counter loop then it just goes in. This is assuming I can get a swing in.

With all of that said the people I'm working with don't really loop with power generally. Still it seems like this is opening up the door for baiting people to give a slower loop (half long balls?) and then attacking it.

For most players, blocking is easier than counter looping imo. If you find counter looping easier than blocking, then it makes sense to go for the counter loop because, in most cases, you can put the opponent in a more uncomfortable position.

Here's my own experience. In general, I tend to lose against players who can attack first and loop consistently. My current default is to block, which doesn't cut it against these stronger players. Hence, I recently started practicing FH counter topspins. To my surprise, it's not a difficult as I expected (at least in training when I know where the ball is going). I don't know if it's related to using a tacky Chinese rubber.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 10:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
I've been told to stop twisting my knees and waist and just to keep the bottom half of my body completely still during shots if I want to improve because it's not the right way to play anymore. Apparently it's how table tennis was 50 years ago. Thoughts???

Your "teacher" may also be interesting in helping the guy below too. He is also isn't keeping the lower half of his body still. Let's start a GoFundMe campaign to stop him from making this mistake!!!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 10:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Chinese rubber is better for counterlooping because the ball doesn't spring off as much. Spin reacts more against springy sponge in all situations.. In other words, hard rubbers help you to counter spin. The tacky top sheet maybe helps to stop the ball from slipping a little too, but it's not the major point.

If you are better at counterlooping, that's a blessing. I suspect that I win more points when I counterspin on the forehand now, but it feels like wastage when I miss outright, and I instinctively don't like gambling. I'm trying to change my mind.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 10:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
- Playing matches is far better for me than training exercises. Exercises are for people who are learning stuff, so there is still a real need for them. I personally prefer to train myself during matches which is the best of both worlds for me.
- I'd be more scared of playing someone who is match tough than someone who has been doing lots of exercises.

Besides just playing matches, any drills that include a scoring system (or w/e) that are more match like?

I do a lot of counting with kids. For example, we can't change this exercise until you make 15 good shots. Then I start counting their successful shots which puts pressure on them.

Or, I'll serve shorts and you have to push short. Once you successfully make the ball bounce 3 times on my side, you can do a banana flick. Once you successfully make a banana flick, you can push short again....repeat.

A lot of this is explained in the DTTS series.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 10:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

For most players, blocking is easier than counter looping imo. If you find counter looping easier than blocking, then it makes sense to go for the counter loop because, in most cases, you can put the opponent in a more uncomfortable position.

Here's my own experience. In general, I tend to lose against players who can attack first and loop consistently. My current default is to block, which doesn't cut it against these stronger players. Hence, I recently started practicing FH counter topspins. To my surprise, it's not a difficult as I expected (at least in training when I know where the ball is going). I don't know if it's related to using a tacky Chinese rubber.

The Chinese rubber makes a big difference. So does actually committing to doing it.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 11:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:

I'm going to comment about this in my next post, which may include some video about this or other unrelated (but table tennis related) things! Or maybe I'll split them :) Not sure yet!

It feels like there must be some context missing from the advice.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 11:49 

Brett Clarke wrote:
mickd wrote:

Your "teacher" may also be interesting in helping the guy below too. He is also isn't keeping the lower half of his body still. Let's start a GoFundMe campaign to stop him from making this mistake!!!

Perfectly done shots by Ma Long!

I don't agree with him on this but I do find a lot of value in his advice. A little bit of background. He's a good player. He's also over 60 but still one of the best players at my club. Of the regular members, I'd say he's the strongest. I've never played with him before but last week he actually asked me for a game. I think it's because he likes my willingness to improve and for the last 5 years or so, I've consistently greeted everyone at the club as they entered and said bye. To every single person individually. I'm that type of guy haha. Also I'm slowly getting better. Anyway, we played a game and I got owned. I got like 2, 3 and 4 points I think.

This week he asked me if I'd like to warm up with him, and so we did some FH and BH warm ups. He identified a big problem in my game. And that's how I always "leap forward" into shots and "leap back out" which kills my consistency because I end up reaching for the ball too much and my recovery isn't fast enough to play against the top players because of this. He helped me improve my smash against lob, which was atrocious at best.

The best part of his advice and the practice I got was to not "leap into the shots". Get my feet into position so I can transfer my weight and use my waist rotation without jumping forward. When I did this, I could feel the smoothness of the shots. That's where I found value in his advice. But he still wants me to stop rotating my knees, which I don't think I will, but getting my legs into a better position will give the illusion that I'm not bending, which might be enough.

He also gave me advice on smashing lobs, having my arm higher so that my shoulder and arm create a straight, diagonal line up. And on contact, smacking the ball and finishing with my racket low. It felt nice when I got it like that. This is a really bad explanation haha sorry.

BRS wrote:
mickd wrote:

It feels like there must be some context missing from the advice.

The context above :) But that said, he is a firm believer that the knee should not rotate. He literally pointed to them and I even asked about it. The whole hip shouldn't rotate. The only way I could turn my shoulders in a way that he was satisfied I was doing it right was to rotate the top part of my spine only.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514 ... 568  Next