OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 10:06 

Brett Clarke wrote:
After June this year, I think I'm going to focus more on ttEDGE.com and to train myself for a year or two before I get way too old.

Would love to see you play Brett! If you do, I'll be cheering for you :)

Brett Clarke wrote:
Be aware that there are diminishing returns to refining your technique once it has past a certain threshold. It's not a constant game of looking for the next tip to improve. Once you understand what you need to do, just do it a lot and make it better.

For example, straighten your legs harder on the dive and straighten your arm fast. Twist your right knee further and faster on the forehand which will drive your arm more.

I'd be shocked if someone randomly told you something that made you a much better player.

“When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready... The teacher will Disappear.” ― Tao Te Ching

Thanks Brett. Coming from you, who strongly advocates good technique, this means a lot to me. Once covid19 is under control, I'll put in a lot more effort to improve my overall game. No more self-sabotage by just being a hitting partner for the kids. I'll find a way to balance it so I get to try what I'm practicing out with a variety of other players as well. I'm only 'good' against my training partner because he's the only person I practice with. Hopefully I'll be able to improve my serve and receive, and learn to return different types of balls better.

I wouldn't say any of it is random, but I think a lot of the things you guys have been saying here has made me a much better player :)

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 11:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I wonder when I will able to play a competitive match... My optimistic estimate is 4 months or so. Pessimistic is 12.

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 14:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Thanks Brett. Coming from you, who strongly advocates good technique, this means a lot to me.

How long does it take before a new technique becomes automatic? Where is the evidence? What if you are getting new "tips" every day?

I believe that it takes many months if the player is diligent and knows exactly what they are doing. If either of these two elements is missing, it will probably never happen. Therefore, I think it's important to gather all the information in a short period and keep doing it until the change is cemented.

I've spent a lot of time over the past 5 years trying to understand and simplify technique. I have done this by looking at each shot from a kinetic chain standpoint and then matching it up against the world's best.

If I'm talking to a player ranked between 100-200 in the world (USATT 2700), I want to have confidence that I'm giving the best advice that I have because their lives depend on it. It's almost the same if I'm talking to a USATT 900. The technique and advice actually don't change.

If a 900 level player has perfect technique by playing slowly with the appropriate equipment, all you need to do is use editing software to increase the speed by 1.5 X, and suddenly you'll have a player looking like a 2700.

Learn the right technique and practice it.

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 15:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I have been quite diligent in my LTT106 two-month lockdown training program. I have missed a few days through laziness though I think I've done enough to see if this type of training will translate into unconscious technique change.

I've been mostly training against William and Trevor's backhand hits and I've been varying the speed of their oncoming virtual shots so my swing doesn't become too long or short. I've been using the shove against fast blocks and the dive against slow shots.

After June this year, I think I'm going to focus more on ttEDGE.com and to train myself for a year or two before I get way too old.

You have to play a World Veterans event!

Yeah, won't be doing that.

I'm not even sure if I'll ever play a competitive match again. I may just train for the sake of doing something physical whilst working on the stuff I teach.

I've worked with players who really like training and hated playing in competition. Henzell is a perfect example of this. From a certain perspective, competition destroyed his passion for the sport.

Of course you could argue that competition is the entire sport and I get that. It would make no sense to train if you weren't going to compete, right? I went for a walk this morning and I can assure you that I won't be entering the main event at the next World Walking Veterans Championships, so why the morning walk?

Competition stresses the mind and body. This can be a good and a bad thing. Generally speaking, I would advocate that almost everyone should play competition because it is the most important part of TT. If you are reading this, you should be playing tournaments for sure.

That said, if William Henzell said he wanted to start training again, I'd make sure that he never played a tournament for the rest of his life. One tournament would kill him forever.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 02:20 

Brett Clarke wrote:
How long does it take before a new technique becomes automatic? Where is the evidence? What if you are getting new "tips" every day?

I believe that it takes many months if the player is diligent and knows exactly what they are doing. If either of these two elements is missing, it will probably never happen. Therefore, I think it's important to gather all the information in a short period and keep doing it until the change is cemented.

I've spent a lot of time over the past 5 years trying to understand and simplify technique. I have done this by looking at each shot from a kinetic chain standpoint and then matching it up against the world's best.

If I'm talking to a player ranked between 100-200 in the world (USATT 2700), I want to have confidence that I'm giving the best advice that I have because their lives depend on it. It's almost the same if I'm talking to a USATT 900. The technique and advice actually don't change.

If a 900 level player has perfect technique by playing slowly with the appropriate equipment, all you need to do is use editing software to increase the speed by 1.5 X, and suddenly you'll have a player looking like a 2700.

I think for me, if it's something I'm actively thinking and working on, probably at least a few months to have it slowly creep into my match play. But realistically, it'll probably take more than 6 months. I'm starting to see some of my new backhand in the free practice part of my session. Once clubs start opening again, I'll see if it appears in match play, too!

I won't be able to play much this week but I think clubs might start opening up again from next week.

There was this one shot in my practice session the other day that really surprised me. The ball felt so quick off the racket. I actually thought I flat hit the ball, but looking at the video I think I went for a decent amount of spin, too. The racket angle was a lot more closed than I thought it would be. The reason I couldn't tell was because in my mind before that shot (and actually for the 2nd last ball too, but it didn't have the same result), I kind of decided just to relax my arm and randomly swing forward. Whatever happens happens. And it just so happened that the ball hit into my racket. On video it doesn't look as fast as in person, but the sound was definitely more of a cracking contact. I'm hoping to be able to hit more balls like that on demand.

Here was the ball (last shot, sorry about the end. I was surprised and excited for hitting that ball):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mxE0RsAsE

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 02:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
mickd wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think for me, if it's something I'm actively thinking and working on, probably at least a few months to have it slowly creep into my match play. But realistically, it'll probably take more than 6 months. I'm starting to see some of my new backhand in the free practice part of my session. Once clubs start opening again, I'll see if it appears in match play, too!

I won't be able to play much this week but I think clubs might start opening up again from next week.

There was this one shot in my practice session the other day that really surprised me. The ball felt so quick off the racket. I actually thought I flat hit the ball, but looking at the video I think I went for a decent amount of spin, too. The racket angle was a lot more closed than I thought it would be. The reason I couldn't tell was because in my mind before that shot (and actually for the 2nd last ball too, but it didn't have the same result), I kind of decided just to relax my arm and randomly swing forward. Whatever happens happens. And it just so happened that the ball hit into my racket. On video it doesn't look as fast as in person, but the sound was definitely more of a cracking contact. I'm hoping to be able to hit more balls like that on demand.

Here was the ball (last shot, sorry about the end. I was surprised and excited for hitting that ball):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mxE0RsAsE

Don't ask about that. It leads into the dark arts. You don't want your technical practice to be consumed by the dark arts. Just get your technique right.

The ball height plays a role as well. You can't hit tricky balls that hard.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 03:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You have to play a World Veterans event!

Yeah, won't be doing that.

I'm not even sure if I'll ever play a competitive match again. I may just train for the sake of doing something physical whilst working on the stuff I teach.

I've worked with players who really like training and hated playing in competition. Henzell is a perfect example of this. From a certain perspective, competition destroyed his passion for the sport.

Of course you could argue that competition is the entire sport and I get that. It would make no sense to train if you weren't going to compete, right? I went for a walk this morning and I can assure you that I won't be entering the main event at the next World Walking Veterans Championships, so why the morning walk?

Competition stresses the mind and body. This can be a good and a bad thing. Generally speaking, I would advocate that almost everyone should play competition because it is the most important part of TT. If you are reading this, you should be playing tournaments for sure.

That said, if William Henzell said he wanted to start training again, I'd make sure that he never played a tournament for the rest of his life. One tournament would kill him forever.

One of the greatest perks of being an amateur in the sport is that our lives do not depend on it. We can enjoy as long as it is beneficial and take a break if needed. I can easily imagine how never-ending competition along with external pressures to perform can damage one's well-being.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 04:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I get so nervous before an event also. I guess doing more would help but I might just get better at being nervous. I've wanted to throw up at 9-9 in the fifth with them serving. I don't depend on tt but it's the effort and such that create internal pressure.

I wouldn't feel it right now because I've not been preparing for an event.

However Brett should do it for the fun of seeing all of these people he is teaching and possibly old friends. I'm sure a couple of other aussies would be up for it too. Plus I'd come out and coach you. Loop the half long serves and get ready to hit 5 balls in a row. Don't expect them to make any mistakes.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 04:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's all a little hard to put into words and you'd have to go through it to totally understand.

I'm not exactly in Henzell's boat but I'm somewhere in the middle. I played comp for the best part of 30 years and it took its toll for sure. The thought of playing a tournament now does make me feel sick.

The sickest part for me is I still can't sleep the night before I bench coach a big match. This is insanity and I really think I'm alone on this one. I still feel like I'm going to play the next day, even though I logically know that I'm just going to sit on a seat.

I was explaining this to a top player when we both couldn't sleep the night before a big match and he was in complete disbelief. He understood why he couldn't sleep of course, though he seemed shocked at my stupidity.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 04:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That's very funny. Maybe the night before you could convince yourself that you really do have to play. You still won't sleep, but when you get to the hall the next day and it turns out you don't have to play after all, the relief will be so great you will probably coach out of your mind.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 22:24 

After reading the comments about feeling nervous before and during competitive matches, I want to ask some questions in the context of LTT51.

I read somewhere (or heard on YouTube) that Harimoto feels quite nervous during matches (maybe the attached picture accurately describes his position in the emotional level/performance level space). He claims that shouting "Cholei, cho, cholei" after winning a point helps him calm down, i.e. move him closer to the optimal point).

Brett, you have coached against him. His explanation sounds counterintuitive. Do you think it makes sense?

Conversely, you can't tell from Lin Yun-Ju's facial expression or body language whether he just won a point or not. Maybe Lin's emotional level is to the right of what is depicted in the picture named after him, but it seems that his emotional level is left of the optimal point. He often drinks Red Bull during changeovers. Is he trying to increase his emotional level by doing that?

It's interesting that Harimoto's and Lin's on-court demeanors are on opposite ends of the spectrum although both describe themselves as shy. Does Harimoto come across as shy when he is not competing?

In an interview after playing Lin, Xu Xin complimented Lin on his game, but he mentioned that Lin could be more intimidating if he added a few "choleis" to his on-court demeanor. What do you think about XX's comment?

Attachments:
Lin.png
Lin.png [ 437.48 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]
Harimoto.png
Harimoto.png [ 446.64 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 23:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
After reading the comments about feeling nervous before and during competitive matches, I want to ask some questions in the context of LTT51.

I read somewhere (or heard on YouTube) that Harimoto feels quite nervous during matches (maybe the attached picture accurately describes his position in the emotional level/performance level space). He claims that shouting "Cholei, cho, cholei" after winning a point helps him calm down, i.e. move him closer to the optimal point).

Brett, you have coached against him. His explanation sounds counterintuitive. Do you think it makes sense?

Conversely, you can't tell from Lin Yun-Ju's facial expression or body language whether he just won a point or not. Maybe Lin's emotional level is to the right of what is depicted in the picture named after him, but it seems that his emotional level is left of the optimal point. He often drinks Red Bull during changeovers. Is he trying to increase his emotional level by doing that?

It's interesting that Harimoto's and Lin's on-court demeanors are on opposite ends of the spectrum although both describe themselves as shy. Does Harimoto come across as shy when he is not competing?

In an interview after playing Lin, Xu Xin complimented Lin on his game, but he mentioned that Lin could be more intimidating if he added a few "choleis" to his on-court demeanor. What do you think about XX's comment?

Really interesting questions and points.

When I coached against Harimoto, I could feel that he was seriously nervous and it surprised me a little. He was definitely "too high" in that particular match and lost 3-0. I found the same to be true with Lin Gaoyuan too and it's fairly obvious when watching him in big matches, if you know exactly what you are looking for. Let's throw in Liang Jingkun just for fun too because he seems to be the worst. I coached against him in doubles and I could see his hands shaking at close scores in the 5th and the match wasn't ultra important, imo. It's hard to imagine him winning the biggest tournaments but you never know.

Lin Yun-Ju has a more stable emotional level than than both above mentioned players for sure. He is arguably more skillful too and he has no known weaknesses. Being quite and calm will be his strength when the scales finally tip properly. Cho-ing against a brick wall just wastes energy.

All of the players mentioned are world top 5 if they are on their game, so let's keep that in mind. We are therefore talking about relatively small differences among the very best.

Players like Liang and Lin Gaoyuan are more quite. Then you see Harimoto trying to scream his nerves away. There is no way in the world that he is trying to motivate himself. He's just trying to get through. I would place these 3 players at about the same emotional level even though they present differently. They are all slightly too high on the chart.

Then you have Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin who are about as stable as you can get in sport. They play in the zone, especially Xu Xin imo. Xu Xin even gets too "low" against fellow Chinese players. His backhand is another issue which stops him from completely dominating.

If you are top 5 in the world, you have to be playing somewhere near the optimal zone. None of these players are over to the far right, no matter how the appear. Everyone gets a little nervous.

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 23:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:

I don't think that Lin Yun -Ju is too low on the chart. I think he plays right in the green zone.

There are long-term problems with running around and cho-ing after every single point. This is generally the behavior of an athlete who is looking down the barrel at a short career. The player is either too high or ultra afraid. It's a hard way to live your life for 30 years.

We eventually tend to avoid things that make us overly anxious and it's especially hard to ride-out the inevitable downswings. Imagine cho-ing everyone for 2 years and failing to win any critical matches. What's next?

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 23:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Does Harimoto come across as shy when he is not competing?

Yes.

I can't say I "know" him, but he comes across as a quiet, respectful kid.

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 08:57 

Brett Clarke wrote:
There are long-term problems with running around and cho-ing after every single point.

I feel nervous during both competitive and practice matches. One of my friends tends to cho a lot, even during practice matches among friends, which I find annoying. Going forward I'll tell myself a different story -- he is probably even more nervous than I am! Let's see if I can actually remember this next time we play. Maybe I should check if his hand is shaking lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456 ... 568  Next