OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 11:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

You have to be on your guard against those Soviets. They find ways to send you messages, which influence your decisions and thoughts, without you even knowing it.

I just realized that I've been under silent attack myself. There is a pesky Soviet who has kept bringing me back to tactics, and I had no idea!

Did Soviet hackers compromise your account and altered your signature?

Not exactly.

It appears that they used some Cold War style hypnotherapy/Jedi mind trick... I made the sig changes myself, however, I couldn't possibly be legally responsible.

It's similar to the way they got Trump elected.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 11:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's all coming back to me now.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 14:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Are not robots useless or even harmful?

They were before Sergey made the tennirobo. Now they are delightful!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 19:35 

NextLevel wrote:

You are doing good stuff. Rome wasn't built in a day and I suspect that this stroke will have jumped a couple of levels given the work you have done vs backspin. Brett and I had a conversation recently about technical improvement and ultimately, it is always relative to what you did before for your game (not for example vs. what Timo Boll does with his game). I would be happy to to play with the quality of structure in your strokes regardless of the arm being bent or close to the body etc.. It's just that everything can be better and that is what we strive for. The process of your improving your finishing position vs backspin will be interesting - hope we can see the finished product someday. I think I probably still have poor finishing positions in matches on many of my strokes.

Will also be interesting to see what happens to the stroke when you start playing it for speed and power. Cheers!

I agree that it's probably best to measure your progress relative to yourself. Sorry for not replying earlier. Abe declared a state of emergency in the second week of April and I couldn't play/practice for a long time (btw, I was envious that Mick had access to a private table). It was lifted last week and I practiced a few times this week.

Here are some videos that show improvements since I joined ttEDGE:

(1) https://youtu.be/62xd_g2HpjQ

The first is from January just before I joined. Note that I asked my friend to block randomly because my goal at the time was to incorporate more random elements into practice in an effort to improve match play. I relied mostly on my arm and the finishing position was past the midline most of the time.

(2) https://youtu.be/o0ASg0Mim_A

This is from yesterday and I asked my friend to block to my BH. Both the body and arm work have improved compared to (1).

(3) https://youtu.be/hvlFDm3oH_c

This is from the beginning of April. Reposting the link for reference.

(4) https://youtu.be/rAxrMw2KbeY

This is from Monday and I managed to make the triangle on a consistent basis.

Yesterday, I practiced third ball attack (FH topspin vs backspin), but I was leaning back on all shots, i.e. it will probably take me a while to implement the stroke from (4) in a match situation.

Brett, do you have suggestions on how to accelerate that process?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 23:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Let's ask this guy who has been as high as 24 in the world recently. FYI, this isn't an advertisement. He's really training like this.

I saw the machine skip a backspin ball to his backhand once. I hate that so much. The routine he does here is identical to one I do most often, tho his 3rd ball seems to be less random.

So since you are still his coach I demand that you have him move the table closer to the front door. All of that glass behind him I'm sure is hurting his swing.

Clearly he needs to be on this forum. Where else is he going to get expert advice?

I'm sure none of this was staged and all of this is exactly how he trains. I always wear my butterfly gear when I'm training with my butterfly robot.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 02:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I just realized that I've been under silent attack myself. There is a pesky Soviet who has kept bringing me back to tactics, and I had no idea!

Seriously, whenever somebody talks about tactics, especially in the context of sports, I start to get flashbacks from this thread.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 04:26 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Tactics are underrated ;)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 04:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
pgpg wrote:
Tactics are underrated ;)

Where and how have you been, my friend?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 04:36 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

What do I work on?

https://youtu.be/ln7v_VwAtIc

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 07:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I think you pivot too much.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 07:26 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You inspired me. And my backhand sucks - no shoving or squatting.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 13:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

If your bh sucks NL, and you won't be needing it any more, could I have it please?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 14:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You are doing good stuff. Rome wasn't built in a day and I suspect that this stroke will have jumped a couple of levels given the work you have done vs backspin. Brett and I had a conversation recently about technical improvement and ultimately, it is always relative to what you did before for your game (not for example vs. what Timo Boll does with his game). I would be happy to to play with the quality of structure in your strokes regardless of the arm being bent or close to the body etc.. It's just that everything can be better and that is what we strive for. The process of your improving your finishing position vs backspin will be interesting - hope we can see the finished product someday. I think I probably still have poor finishing positions in matches on many of my strokes.

Will also be interesting to see what happens to the stroke when you start playing it for speed and power. Cheers!

I agree that it's probably best to measure your progress relative to yourself. Sorry for not replying earlier. Abe declared a state of emergency in the second week of April and I couldn't play/practice for a long time (btw, I was envious that Mick had access to a private table). It was lifted last week and I practiced a few times this week.

Here are some videos that show improvements since I joined ttEDGE:

(1) https://youtu.be/62xd_g2HpjQ

The first is from January just before I joined. Note that I asked my friend to block randomly because my goal at the time was to incorporate more random elements into practice in an effort to improve match play. I relied mostly on my arm and the finishing position was past the midline most of the time.

(2) https://youtu.be/o0ASg0Mim_A

This is from yesterday and I asked my friend to block to my BH. Both the body and arm work have improved compared to (1).

(3) https://youtu.be/hvlFDm3oH_c

This is from the beginning of April. Reposting the link for reference.

(4) https://youtu.be/rAxrMw2KbeY

This is from Monday and I managed to make the triangle on a consistent basis.

Yesterday, I practiced third ball attack (FH topspin vs backspin), but I was leaning back on all shots, i.e. it will probably take me a while to implement the stroke from (4) in a match situation.

Brett, do you have suggestions on how to accelerate that process?

Practice as much as you can and shadow swing / visualize as much as possible. You've learned the technique and now it has to become automatic, which takes time.

I talk a lot to the foreign Indian boxing coach. He helped to qualify 9 boxers for Tokyo 2020 before all of this virus stuff got going. I asked him how long it takes a boxer to change their technique and his response was "many months". Those guys are training 4 hours per day.

If you are training 1 hour per week, it's possible that you may never change your technique after a certain age or level.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 14:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Why do you think your backhand training hasn't shown up in your match-play?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 21:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Because the preparation looks fairly poor compared to what I practice. Maybe on the backhand vs backspin, it is infinitesimally better. On the backhand vs topspin, it is non-existent and I just pronate my hand or push it forward without any separation from my body.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460 ... 568  Next