OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 15:58 

I have been practicing jumping into the backswing for a few weeks.

My friend tried blocking to the FH, then to the middle, then to the FH and finally to the BH. Overall, I am happy with my progress. Sometimes, I was late when I played a BH.

Is this going to improve with practice or should I try to jump in a different way into my BH backswing?

https://youtu.be/Kd7AL8VgkCM

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 21:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
chopblock wrote:

My friend tried blocking to the FH, then to the middle, then to the FH and finally to the BH. Overall, I am happy with my progress. Sometimes, I was late when I played a BH.

Is this going to improve with practice or should I try to jump in a different way into my BH backswing?

In my eye, when you finish your forehand stroke, I can anticipate you playing a forehand but not a backhand. Your finishing position is still too forehand dominant between the shots. That can be handled by anticipation but it can also be handled by genuinely thinking about what your ready position is to react to both forehand and backhand shots with the legs equally well.

The forehand is far more about hip rotation than swinging the arm relative to the backhand in my experience. So I tend to make my arm positioning favor my backhand slightly and then just twist into the forehand on drills. At least in theory - in practice my knees don't make this easy.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 06:32 

@nextlevel thanks for the feedback/suggestion

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 08:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:

It looks good. No, you are jumping into the bh backswing fine.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 12:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
@chopblock, it will definitely get better with time. One suggestion: IMHO you take the ball a bit late on the forehand, lifting it up when it is already very low and falling. I would try to take it a bit earlier so that you can play it forward rather than up. Playing forward against block is likely to be more dangerous for your opponent in a match.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 17:25 

Dr.Pivot wrote:
@chopblock, it will definitely get better with time. One suggestion: IMHO you take the ball a bit late on the forehand, lifting it up when it is already very low and falling. I would try to take it a bit earlier so that you can play it forward rather than up. Playing forward against block is likely to be more dangerous for your opponent in a match.

Thanks for the suggestion

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 17:28 

Brett Clarke wrote:
chopblock wrote:

It looks good. No, you are jumping into the bh backswing fine.

Thanks. I'll keep practicing a few minutes per session and see how it goes.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 22:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Has anyone watched this one? I thought it was going to be a TJ delight at first.

I took one interesting point from it: for women, there is no significant difference in power between the backhand and forehand topspins, while men have way more powerful forehand than backhand (measured by racket speed, if I understood everything correctly).

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 10:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

EJ Alert!!!

I have used Yinhe Big Dipper (H39) for exactly 5 weeks and here is my review.

I have played approx 100 games with the rubber and hit balls for approx 2-3 hours per day. I have stored my racket in a racket case without the plastic film protector. I have only ever cleaned the rubber by heavy breathing on it to create condensation and then wiping it clean/dry with either my hand or forearm. The temperature in the hall has averaged approx 20 degrees celsius, though it's getting hotter, which means the rubber will get faster. My racket has never been stored in a car boot/trunk. Humidity has been quite low in the hall and my room. These are factors that matter.

After 5 weeks, the rubber is in immaculate condition without any sign of erosion or discoloration. It's still a little tacky and looks/feels like it did on day one. It's basically still brand new.

The rubber is a medium speed rubber, with high spin. I think that's a great compromise for people who have been wrongly been using ESN or Tenergy on the fh. It's still decent fun to hit the ball with Big Dipper. Going straight to unboosted H3 or PF4 is really tough after you've been using ESN or Tenergy because it feels like slow garbage. Or, in other words, you'll have too many bad habits to use PF4, like me.

Big Dipper on the fh has taught me how to play better. Because it's nowhere near as fast as boosted T05, you can't just use your arm. You must get a decent amount of leg twist into the shot or else the ball will go dead and hit the net. Chinese rubber constantly reminds me of my problems.

Big Dipper is amazing for serving, and good for returning. This is expected because it's medium speed with high spin. Harder and slower rubber is probably still better for serving and returning short, but worse for things like smashing lob.

The cost of Big Dipper is USD $14 and that's pretty funny. It's the best fh rubber I have recently used (for me) and it's a fraction of the price of T05. That said, it may be overpriced and I've ordered Yinhe Mars II to test my theory. I suspect that this rubber is similar and it only costs USD $8, which is obviously absurdly cheap. I still think that Yinhe Mercury II is a great rubber and that's $5. I still have Mercury II on my backhand and it's doing fine. I can play well with Mercury II on both sides.

I admit that my goal is to use the cheapest racket that I'm completely happy with. I find it fun to experiment with it and to prove that tt equipment doesn't need to be expensive. I'm not sure that it personally saves me money because I always end up giving it away for people to try. Sometimes I just give away my entire racket to some kid.

I think that club players buying a $200 blade with $80 rubbers is wrong on every level. Now you may be thinking that $360 is nothing for the game you love and that's fine. If the real cost was $360, I'd pay it too. The problem is that your $200 blade is probably way too hard and your rubber is way too springy. I'm saying that you are buying the wrong equipment, regardless of the price. Even if it was $0.99, you should probably refuse to use it.

Even though I'm all washed up, I could probably still convince someone to sponsor me equipment, yet I'm not even close to heading down that path. My goal is to find an entire racket for approx USD $20-$40 and beat a bunch of people with it. This doesn't mean that I want a bad racket and play with a handicap. I want a great cheap racket and play with an edge.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 00:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I used to think I was bad against pen holders. A bit of it is true - some of them are hard to read serve wise. However even the pen holders with basically no serve I'd have trouble with also. They often blocked better and returned my serves better (shorter - maybe not short but much less comfortable). I would need to hit more balls against them to win the point and this often caused me trouble.

Most pen holders I've played use Chinese rubber on the forehand (and sometimes none on the backhand).

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 08:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I used to think I was bad against pen holders. A bit of it is true - some of them are hard to read serve wise. However even the pen holders with basically no serve I'd have trouble with also. They often blocked better and returned my serves better (shorter - maybe not short but much less comfortable). I would need to hit more balls against them to win the point and this often caused me trouble.

Most pen holders I've played use Chinese rubber on the forehand (and sometimes none on the backhand).

These guys tend to get good spin on their serves and they tend to hit a few balls on the table. Yes, often they are using Chinese rubber.

As a very general rule, it's a good idea to loop spinny to a penholder's forehand. It's hard for them to get the right angle to block.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 10:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Table Tennis Australia compiled the results of all 75 men who have ever represented Australia. I was the 43rd player, starting in 1990. Below is my international playing record. I guess I'm happy that I won more matches than I lost in major international competitions (highlighted in yellow)

Attachment:
Brett Clarke playing record.JPG
Brett Clarke playing record.JPG [ 110.37 KiB | Viewed 1253 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 15:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Table Tennis Australia compiled the results of all 75 men who have ever represented Australia. I was the 43rd player, starting in 1990. Below is my international playing record. I guess I'm happy that I won more matches than I lost in major international competitions (highlighted in yellow)

Attachment:

That is a venerable record indeed! Did you mostly coach others during that time?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 15:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:

That is a venerable record indeed! Did you mostly coach others during that time?

I coached full-time for almost all of that time. Apparently playing for Australia doesn't pay the bills.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 16:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

But how did you keep your level up if you did not practice much yourself? That should have been quite a feat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517 ... 568  Next