OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2022, 07:10 

Nice match, Dr. Pivot!

You competed well and your reverse serve/FH topspin are pretty effective.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2022, 10:58 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Ilia was being coached by the Wetzlers. Technically a player should have only one coach but we make excuses for PA legends.

I enjoyed watching the match. I saw the results on Omnipong. Lots of really good forehands from Ilia. His opponent was the right kind of opponent as well, a fellow adult learner. Since the final was against a pesky looping junior (with coach too) It all adds up.

The high arcing loops really worked. The opponent kept catch the ball way too high and didn't have the right stroke plane. When I tell people to look slow and with wpin they tell me it isn't how the pros play. Oh well...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2022, 15:57 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Hey Brett.

Are you sick of India yet?

In one of your serve videos you demonstrated the wrist shake after the whip action. I can see this in some serves and backhand topspin's of the pros.
I was wondering why not add this to all shots? Backhand flick, backhand punch, forehand mini loop, forehand flick etc
It sort of ties into a shorter whippier shot with the delayed backswing idea.

Another question. Do you see any pros that are delaying the backswing of the forehand more to get a faster whippier swing yet?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2022, 23:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Hey Brett.

on an irrelevant note, what do you find to eat there that isn't too spicy for your taste?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 15:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Hey Brett.

In one of your serve videos you demonstrated the wrist shake after the whip action. I can see this in some serves and backhand topspin's of the pros.
I was wondering why not add this to all shots? Backhand flick, backhand punch, forehand mini loop, forehand flick etc
It sort of ties into a shorter whippier shot with the delayed backswing idea.

Another question. Do you see any pros that are delaying the backswing of the forehand more to get a faster whippier swing yet?

Funny you should ask.

I'm basically finished in India and will be moving to Korea shortly. I won't be working there and hopefully I'll find a spot to make ttEDGE 2022. I have learned a lot over the last year and it's all very interesting.

There will be some Washed Up Table Tennis played in Korea as well. I've been training myself quite a bit over the last month, trying to implement the above mentioned stuff.

I'm also working on the ttEDGE AI app and it's coming along nicely. It can now look at a few shot and tell you what you are doing "wrong" which you could certainly argue is subjective. It's the first AI app that can analyse your shots and give you feedback without human analysis. I'm not going to release to the public until it is a lot more polished and can do most of the things I want it to do. The app is really just a way of me-coaching-me although I'm confident people will want to use it as well. In other words, I need this app to scratch my own itch.

In relation to your question re shaking racket/hand, I think it's a by-product of doing a number of things correctly. It's the result of high arm speed and then the arm being moved in a different direction, or abruptly stopped. This all makes the racket move quickly for another cm or so before a jolting type reaction. I call this extra 1cm "the fast part of the racket", especially on serves. I'm sure that's a quality misnomer. The shake can happen on other shots, to answer your question. It happens a lot on the backhand "punch" or "jab" for example.

Maurice, you need to head to Seoul for some lessons. I'm a better coach than I was on GC, even though I was okay with my level there. I hear that Tesla shares are up and it's never to late to start living.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 15:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
maurice101 wrote:
Hey Brett.

on an irrelevant note, what do you find to eat there that isn't too spicy for your taste?

Hey Ben, the food in India is the best. There are apps that you can use to order any food you want and it's delivered to your door in 30 mins or so. They don't even charge a delivery fee which is quite amazing.

There is also an app where you can order groceries and they deliver in 12 mins, without charge. Can anyone explain to me how this is even possible? From the time you click the submit button, it takes 12 mins to have your order delivered to your door. The app is called BlinkIt and that's no misnomer. You have your food before you can blink.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2022, 18:04 
Super User

Quote:
I hear that Tesla shares are up

I wish that was true and that I have the cash to visit!

I am coaching two talented 13 year twins boys that can actually make a big technical change in just 7 days.

I really need your latest stuff to maintain the illusion of myself being a good coach and not just a Brett Clark clone.

The future of Australian table tennis could be at stake!!!

Now if I could just learn that punch serve ....................

I had a lesson with a well regarded coach that knows you very well in Melbourne.

Started doing my backhand with my elbow starting close to my body ma long like stroke.
He kept telling me it was a flat hit.
So I started to curve the ball through the air with pace and he had to finally admit it was topspin.

Bang, same close to the body elbow start position and stroke structure, topspin.
Bang, same close to the body elbow start position and stroke structure, punch with that lovely crack sound.

Those under 13 boys my guys will play in comp will not know what is going to hit them. :clap:

Hey. lets remove the forearm backswing in all strokes. Make the game simple and timo boll the dominant forehand.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 06:35 
Super User

Hi Brett,

Some online coaches suggest to tighten up the thumb finger contact on the bat on ball contact in the serve. When I tried this it does seem to create more spin but I do not have a pro level of spin on my serves.

Do you suggest to do this or do you just do this naturally? Or does this reduce the whip speed of the bat.?

Much thanks.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 15:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Hi Brett,

Some online coaches suggest to tighten up the thumb finger contact on the bat on ball contact in the serve. When I tried this it does seem to create more spin but I do not have a pro level of spin on my serves.

Do you suggest to do this or do you just do this naturally? Or does this reduce the whip speed of the bat.?

Much thanks.

Yeah, I think we've been through this before.

The finger tension on the racket should be optimal to make the desired pattern. I've always thought of shots as patterns. Move your racket quickly in a whip pattern and see what happens to your fingers. I think I made a video about this, now that I think about it.

Deliberately tensing up or deliberately relaxing are part of the same mistake. Coaches are probably split at 50/50 these days. 30 years ago it was all about relaxing and now there is a trend towards tensing. Let's call it 50/50 today. I don't really sit in either camp.

When people talk about tensing their fingers, my first thought is I bet they are leading the backswing with their racket rather than their elbow. This is an incredibly interesting topic which I will get to in my next series.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 15:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Quote:
I hear that Tesla shares are up

I wish that was true and that I have the cash to visit!

I am coaching two talented 13 year twins boys that can actually make a big technical change in just 7 days.

I really need your latest stuff to maintain the illusion of myself being a good coach and not just a Brett Clark clone.

The future of Australian table tennis could be at stake!!!

Now if I could just learn that punch serve ....................

I had a lesson with a well regarded coach that knows you very well in Melbourne.

Started doing my backhand with my elbow starting close to my body ma long like stroke.
He kept telling me it was a flat hit.
So I started to curve the ball through the air with pace and he had to finally admit it was topspin.

Bang, same close to the body elbow start position and stroke structure, topspin.
Bang, same close to the body elbow start position and stroke structure, punch with that lovely crack sound.

Those under 13 boys my guys will play in comp will not know what is going to hit them. :clap:

Hey. lets remove the forearm backswing in all strokes. Make the game simple and timo boll the dominant forehand.

What are the initials of the coach in Melbourne?

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 17:24 
Super User

MS

He told me I tense up my shoulder muscles which is probably correct as others have suggested this too.

Have you ever coached twins? Its amazing as they push each other to get better and better.
Very competitive and they improve super fast. Not much multi ball each week just full on match like play.

So elbow moves first to start whip pattern, interesting.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 17:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
MS

He told me I tense up my shoulder muscles which is probably correct as others have suggested this too.

Have you ever coached twins? Its amazing as they push each other to get better and better.
Very competitive and they improve super fast. Not much multi ball each week just full on match like play.

So elbow moves first to start whip pattern, interesting.

You went to "The Duck's" shed in Glen Waverley? It's amazing he fit you in because he has a waiting list. He is a coaching machine and he coaches 365 days per year. That's right...The Duck coaches Xmas day etc. This is his website if anyone wants to give him a go http://tabletenniscoach.com.au/

The Duck and I go back 40 years. He beat me in the final of the Aus Nationals in 1998, if anyone cares.

I have only coached twins online. Didn't do enough to really see the dynamics.

The elbow always moves first.

PostPosted: 05 May 2022, 18:19 
Super User

Yep, the shed.

He did mention
Quote:
He beat me in the final of the Aus Nationals in 1998

He told me the story of why you became so good at serving too.
He did make one mistake blocking in 1.5 hours which he apologized. Bloody blocking machine.

Twin dynamics is fascinating. Same genetics. One is better at looping causing the the other to get better at defense causing the other to get better at looping etc, etc. One a bit better at technique and the other a bit mentally stronger. They play well in doubles. One does a no spin serve and the other eats it up for dinner. The 5 minute older brother thinks he should beat his younger brother. They are probably reading this so I better go and practice to keep up with them.

PostPosted: 06 May 2022, 04:17 
Super User

Do you use split screen analysis much in your coaching?

I downloaded a free program Kinovea for my computer and it is pretty easy to set up to 2 videos for slow motion comparison. Kinovea is a video annotation tool designed for motion analysis. It features utilities to capture, slow down, compare, annotate and measure motion in videos. I think it can measure bat and ball speed.

I know everyone has slightly different strokes but it is very reveling about stroke mechanics. Comparing bat speed between 2 pros would be very interesting.

PostPosted: 06 May 2022, 14:01 
Super User

What would be even more interesting is to compare your own stroke speed with pro stroke speed. Does relaxing more give a speed boost. Does perfect body mechanics and technique give you a speed boost? Does a more dynamic push of the ground improve racket head speed? Does your slowing the back-swing down etc gives a big speed boost. I might have to get a high frame rate camera.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558, 559 ... 568  Next