OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 21:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
maurice101 wrote:
Its funny how there is such a big gap between what you think your body is doing and video evidence. I was sure I was doing a good squat for the backhand topspin. Video shows heaps less than that my mind was telling me. I think I have to video all my training sessions now. What a drag.

Videoing them isn't bad. Watching them is what sucks. The only amateur I know who actually watched his recorded trainings was NextLevel. The rest of us just can't take the cognitive dissonance that you pointed out.

And having read Brett's posts about confidence I'm not at all sure watching yourself train would help anything. It might make you worse. Watching video real-time *during* a training session imo could help a lot. But to go home and watch it after seems like it could hurt your confidence without any opportunity to change anything atm. It might be a better and less painful use of the time to go home and visualize yourself doing everything right for however long you would spend watching video.

Good point. I've thought about this too.

If you have cognitive dissonance via expectations vs reality, is watching yourself bad for your confidence? It's completely possible, at least at first.

And I also agree that watching during the session is preferable because you can instantly react and make changes in real time. You don't have so much time to hate yourself.

Most people don't like watching themselves regardless of their level. What I've found though is that you slowly get use to how you play and eventually start to accept your style and level. Then you get a bit more objective and can begin to coach yourself more effectively. It takes time though because everyone is so judgmental of their play when they first realize that they really aren't a Ma Long clone.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 21:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The Australian Championships has been postponed because of a small number of covid cases. The tournament may happen in October if there are zero cases at that time. Zero cases of covid is the only acceptable number in this country, fyi.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 22:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm watching live on MLFanmade YT channel the CNT men v women handicap matches (nice to be on GMT +1). Anyway, SYS vs XX game 7, XX serves 6-8. SYS receives with a net ball winner. XX takes timeout and the coaches speak rapidly to each player for ~ one minute. This is after only one point since the game break at 3-3. What would the coaches possibly have to say after one point that was a net receive?

I'm genuinely curious. oops, gotta go, LSW vs ML coming on.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 06:27 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Yep I hate watching a video of my training. And even more depressing is watching an actual match. Am I actually that bad. Stiff as a dog on heat. :(

However, I am forcing myself to add video to my robot training and against my training partner during some set drills. I have a big focus on the correct use of the body and the delayed backswing as body is going in the opposite direction on all shots.

I can actually look pretty good against the robot so it is less depressing!!!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 20:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Yep I hate watching a video of my training. And even more depressing is watching an actual match. Am I actually that bad. Stiff as a dog on heat. :(

However, I am forcing myself to add video to my robot training and against my training partner during some set drills. I have a big focus on the correct use of the body and the delayed backswing as body is going in the opposite direction on all shots.

Why do you think it looks better against the robot?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 20:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
maurice101 wrote:

IMHO once you see yourself on camera there is no turning back, at least it was like that for me. The image just sticks to the mind, and the only way to get rid of is to fix the technique.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 21:30 
Super User

BRS, At present I am trying to commit my new strokes to muscle memory. So the robot is consistent with no footwork needed. Hopefully, in time I can do the same stroke in more random settings.

https://youtu.be/J4IGr0BSjH0

I have been working on the following points over the last 3 months.

Trying to delay the backswing by spotting the ball onto the bat, explode from using right leg as bat is still going back, stay low, good rotation etc

Left foot hard push of side of foot and imagine I am rotating the ground anti clockwise. Right leg hard push of left side of foot and imagine rotating the ground clockwise.

I would like a more relaxed wrist at the end of the backswing to get the wrist to flex back more.

Comments very welcome.

Yep I know it is a robot stiff like stroke!!!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hey maurice101, the video is private.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 13:01 
Super User

Fixed.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 00:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hey @maurice101, I think you use your legs well. I would some torso fold-unfold movement. In a topspin, you have to move your racket vertically (as well as horizontally), and it is best to assist it with your body.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 03:25 
Super User

Dr.Pivot I totally agree. I have been trying to drop left knee on rotation to achieve forward bend. Unfortunately it is not automatic yet. I feel delaying the backswing means this factor is important to get the bat lower in the backswing.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 09:44 
Super User

Had an interesting comment from Brett in my last session with him. He told me the most common thing pros talk about is keeping the bat up high in transition.

When I focus on this, I feel my blocking and general game goes up 5 to 10 percent.

Timo Boll mentions this too in one of his latest videos.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 13:19 

maurice101 wrote:
Had an interesting comment from Brett in my last session with him. He told me the most common thing pros talk about is keeping the bat up high in transition.

And since these pros are already in a very low stance, it means that the bat is very high with respect to their body – something we mortals struggle with, big time.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2021, 14:14 
Super User

Due to the NSW lockdown, I can't have my weekly lesson with Brett. ;(

What are people working on in their training lately?

I got a big list but my main focus is spot the ball onto the bat to delay the backswing in just about all types of shots and to feel the body moving forward as the backswing is going back. When I do both the quality of the shots goes up 30% with less effort.

Some other things.

Lower stance and weight more on the balls.
Keep my elbow up and to the side more in transition.
More rotation in forehand.
Explode the right leg in the forehand to rotate the body rather than go up.
Drop left knee in rotation for forehand to create more forward bend.
No going across body in forehand follow through.
Squat more in backhand.

Need I go on......

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2021, 20:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Waiting in a backhand ready position instead of neutral.

Playing bh right off the bounce (sp).

Playing forward into the ball.

Jerusalem artichoke.

More jerusalem artichoke.

Making some sound at contact to make sure I breathe.

Fh from underarm and not shoulder, meaning feet on ground and hip turn drive the stroke.

Much more open bat face through the fh stroke.

Arm position at end of backswing, both the right height for incoming ball, and not over-rotating so can play forward and meet the ball in front of me.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540 ... 568  Next