OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 14:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
My best shot at the NA Teams and probably against the highest level player I played in the whole event - it stuck in my memory and since it was against topspin, it was particularly surprising. I wish I could backswing properly with my left foot and move consistently. Seriously. But the shot is still a Laj countertopspin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5tPtHQncg&t=1015

I love the sound of my teammate (yes!) and his teammate (wow!) in the background. I lost the match but managed to stay in it because the opponent had serious trouble reading my serves - I was so annoyed that I had lost to his young 12 year old teammate earlier that I wanted to win this one badly. But he was a significantly higher rated player than his paper rating displayed.

Laj, have you had stem-cell treatment or something for your knees? I actually laughed out loud at how many windmills you hit in the first game. At some stage, your forehand became a serious weapon. That counterspin is crazy. I think you can break 2200 at some stage.

There isn't enough bow/fold-unfold/whatever on your backhand topspin again push. The twist to bow ratio is way too high. As your opponent is contacting the push, bend forward as far as you can like this https://youtu.be/-Ic9gN4YxUA?t=224. Your backhand block is still the wrong way around and you're falling into the shot, rather than springing away from it. Your opponent is moving correctly on the backhand here https://youtu.be/YK5tPtHQncg?t=127 ...do some more of that, especially when you are blocking.

On a side note, I really like your opponent's forehand against block. https://youtu.be/YK5tPtHQncg?t=92 He is using his body correctly, allowing him to "swing" at the ball.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 14:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am currently writing ttEDGE 2020.

In the beginning, I'm trying to condense all of my knowledge about each shot into single videos. The problem with the current library is, you have to watch multiple forehand videos to learn the stroke. I increased my knowledge over time, so I just kept adding a new forehand video with each breakthrough. Today I have a completely different approach to teaching the forehand than I did in 2015, so the new videos will reflect my understanding.

As I've mentioned before, making ttEDGE has been the single best thing I ever did for my coaching. I studied particularly hard in 2017 and made significant breakthroughs by learning from other sports. I now pass on these lessons to elite players I'm paid to work with.

With elite players, I still mainly try to improve their shots. I obviously talk to them about their strategy too. When I watch an elite player in a competition, I will generally look for flaws in their technique because I believe that technique is the key to long term success. I also look for poor strategic decisions that are being made. These generally include:
- Not playing down the lines enough
- Not attacking the middle enough against easy balls
- Not moving the serve position around enough
- Pushing long too often
- Not banana flicking enough
- Blocking on the forehand rather than counterspinning
- Using too many backhands without turning and playing forehand
- Not using "kick" backhand enough

That said, the better the player hits the ball, the less this list matters. If you hit your forehand sharp enough with the correct leg pattern, then you can play it across court too often and still be at the very top. If you counterspin properly, you can push long more. If you have a correct short push, you don't need a banana flick. If your serve is really good, you don't need to move it around as much.

I've said it a million times - The way you hit the ball matters the most and this is true at all levels. I believe this more today than ever before. I'm still a technical coach.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 15:16 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
My best shot at the NA Teams and probably against the highest level player I played in the whole event - it stuck in my memory and since it was against topspin, it was particularly surprising. I wish I could backswing properly with my left foot and move consistently. Seriously. But the shot is still a Laj countertopspin.

I love the sound of my teammate (yes!) and his teammate (wow!) in the background. I lost the match but managed to stay in it because the opponent had serious trouble reading my serves - I was so annoyed that I had lost to his young 12 year old teammate earlier that I wanted to win this one badly. But he was a significantly higher rated player than his paper rating displayed.

Laj, have you had stem-cell treatment or something for your knees? I actually laughed out loud at how many windmills you hit in the first game. At some stage, your forehand became a serious weapon. That counterspin is crazy. I think you can break 2200 at some stage.

There isn't enough bow/fold-unfold/whatever on your backhand topspin again push. The twist to bow ratio is way too high. As your opponent is contacting the push, bend forward as far as you can like this https://youtu.be/-Ic9gN4YxUA?t=224. Your backhand block is still the wrong way around and you're falling into the shot, rather than springing away from it. Your opponent is moving correctly on the backhand here https://youtu.be/YK5tPtHQncg?t=127 ...do some more of that, especially when you are blocking.

On a side note, I really like your opponent's forehand against block. https://youtu.be/YK5tPtHQncg?t=92 He is using his body correctly, allowing him to "swing" at the ball.

I lost another maybe 10 to 12lbs since Florida. That made me overdo all the movement and the forehands. So I am recovering now and hoping I can still bring it back at some point. I will try to lose some more weight though. But the funny thing is that in this match, I actually tried to pirouette more and use the knees less on most shots.

The block makes sense, I have been watching some things before you brought this up and I see that I had the original concept all wrong. Seeing what you just showed me helps me see that my new idea was on the right path. I just have to do it in practice.

The backhand topspin vs push is probably where the knees are most taxed if I use standard technique. That said, if I fix my block, it might become easier to get part of it.

Thanks for all the comments, it gives me something to work one.

Here is my latest attempt to flick. Any comments are helpfui (even if I can't fix anything lol). I want to work on flicking almost anything that isn't short heavy backspin to simplfy my game a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bt94LG ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQDVzy ... e=youtu.be

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 15:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Here is my latest attempt to flick. Any comments are helpfui (even if I can't fix anything lol). I want to work on flicking almost anything that isn't short heavy backspin to simplfy my game a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bt94LG ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQDVzy ... e=youtu.be

It feels right enough to me.

It's a difficult shot to really conceptualize, isn't it? It's hard to get any real torso twist and it's the one shot where I think moving forward actually helps with momentum. Folding into the shot almost gives something too. Start tall and finish small.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2019, 16:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
But the funny thing is that in this match, I actually tried to pirouette more and use the knees less on most shots.

Pirouetting is one of the keys to the pivot windmill.

Here are some of the keys to the forehand topspin in general. I hope you like a lot of wind!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 04:53 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

NextLevel wrote:

We must have had rating deflation, LOL. I am comparing the original Laj counterspin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIiw08Pw2E

to the new one and I can't believe both players are rated USATT 2000. Hahahaha...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 07:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

We must have had rating deflation, LOL. I am comparing the original Laj counterspin

to the new one and I can't believe both players are rated USATT 2000. Hahahaha...

It's pretty cool we can compare these two shots.

The follow through is much more athletic and confident.

The part before the shot is identical to my eyes and I'm not too sure the bigger follow-through does a lot. What would have been awesome is if there was a little split step and more body rotation back. I think that would have created even more power and consistency.

I know that probably isn't the feedback you want to hear, but god damn it was very athletic. If you can do that, you can do more before the swing too :)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 08:49 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

It's pretty cool we can compare these two shots.

The follow through is much more athletic and confident.

The part before the shot is identical to my eyes and I'm not too sure the bigger follow-through does a lot. What would have been awesome is if there was a little split step and more body rotation back. I think that would have created even more power and consistency.

I know that probably isn't the feedback you want to hear, but god damn it was very athletic. If you can do that, you can do more before the swing too :)

Would have been much more technically correct for sure to do a split step and backswing. In fact I want to be able to use my legs properly to do this shot some day. Maybe after knee surgery or something.

Cooler I don't know. This is a Laj Counterspin for a reason. If it was technically correct it would be just a shot that good players plays. I think the follow through on the second/most recent is actually a technical shot. The first is much more iffy. But I am proud to have played them both. When I back up, then it won't be half as cool.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019, 09:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
When I back up, then it won't be half as cool.

Nah don't back up, just be lighter on your feet so you could adjust for a little side spin and make sure your in a comfortable position is all I was thinking.

Most of my practice / coaching advice is thinking about the first half of the swing so I'm probably biased. I probably don't think about the follow through enough. I could see the entire bottom of your right shoe. I've never done that :D

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2019, 06:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm such a technique junkie these days I watch NFL football quarterback footwork.

For example here: https://youtu.be/MiKzZvaeK_M?t=850

I'm not entirely sure if this means much in terms of table tennis. However I bet there is something in there. 'Heel clic'k refers to bringing the feet together, which is undesirable in terms of balance as decisions must be made super fast and your body must be ready at all times to make a throw. He talks about the QB resetting here. Interesting, a bit like what one tries to do if there is a net ball or given more time to get set.

In other videos this former QB talks about keeping knees bent, wide stance and no heel clicks when moving back, keeping a solid base to throw from. The throwing motion is pretty compact and players who have to javelin throw are less desirable.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 10:17 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

My hitting partner here say that my backhand topspin is significantly spinnier than my forehand topspin. Any way I can bridge the gap?

https://youtu.be/Npsv58K6CjU?t=1269

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2019, 11:53 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

General comments are welcome but I think I have figured out what to fix, thanks.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 14:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
General comments are welcome but I think I have figured out what to fix, thanks.

You get more spin on the forehand in 2 ways:
1. By folding and unfolding the torso more
2. By dipping the left knee and then springing up more

You get more power on your forehand by understanding how to twist your legs/hips as explained in ETTS64 and others.

All of the above factors combine to determine the spin/speed ratio on your forehand.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 21:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
It's been a while since I posted a video, but I finally had opportunity! Bear in mind I'm atypical, as a SP user, but I'd be interested in feedback and comments all the same.

This is a simply 2 BH 1 FH exercise, twiddling before and after the FH:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 21:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Who took down the post about TT making you depressed? I didn't think it was irrelevant or inappropriate. I understand the guy was a new member etc but it was interesting and I had a response.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 568  Next