OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2021, 13:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Part 20 of ttEDGE 2021 is now available on ttEDGE.com

It's about the Punch serve and the anti drift concept which we've been discussing. This is one of my favorite videos because it's a breakthrough in my understanding.

Is this the only serve that is going to get this treatment? It would probably resonate more on a more common serve for most of us (pendulum, backspin/no-spin).

Why can't it be used on a backhand serve in some way?

Relax, there are move videos coming.

I used the punch because you get the most pure advantage. It's actually the same concept on all serves, but I'm going to make the videos. That punch video took me longer than you are imagining.

Why can't it be used on a backhand serve in some way? Why can't it be used on the backhand topspin vs backspin in some way? I'm using it against push with relative success.

Anti drift isn't needed if you get the serve right. It's really just a tool to stop one from stuffing up.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2021, 12:26 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I had some fun the other day. After Brett flogged me with 2 hours of solid multiball I had my revenge.

I mentioned I had my Tenirobo robot in my car after my lesson. I set it up and Brett wanted maximum speed on a topspin ball. This spin level is MUCH higher than any pro can ever produce.

Brett could only get 1 in 10 on the table. Two other players in the top 10 or so in the Australia rankings had a go too. No one could get the ball on the table with any consistency with any type of stroke at all.

Lots of fun had by all. :D

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 00:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Tennirobo is a different level of robot compared to what the pros are used to...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 07:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

CHJ lost in the finals of qualifying. ;( She would have had a slight chance to meet Mima in the quarters. oh well, still a lot of matches I want to watch.

Just saw Shin get murdalized by Kihara. Hoping they post full match vids of Ito v Eerland, Lily v Ishikawa and hayata v Samara.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 10:23 

NextLevel wrote:
Tennirobo is a different level of robot compared to what the pros are used to...

Different in what way? As in much more superior? I have a friend looking at getting a robot, so kind of curious here :)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 09:42 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Next level can add his comments on the Tennirobo robot. What I love is that it is more realistic compared to most robots I have used. I think this is due to the fact that you can randomize the spin, placement and time interval between shots.

It can also do any serve, spin level or shot you can think off.

Warning. If you use max topspin spin level which is double the level any pro can produce (so is totally unrealistic), you could leave marks on the table that do not come off. The balls removed some paint from the table.

At this super high spin level it is very difficult to get any ball hit the table with inverted rubber.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 11:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
At this super high spin level it is very difficult to get any ball hit the table with inverted rubber.

No problem. Change to pipsies.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 00:02 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

maurice101 wrote:
Next level can add his comments on the Tennirobo robot. What I love is that it is more realistic compared to most robots I have used. I think this is due to the fact that you can randomize the spin, placement and time interval between shots.

It can also do any serve, spin level or shot you can think off.

Warning. If you use max topspin spin level which is double the level any pro can produce (so is totally unrealistic), you could leave marks on the table that do not come off. The balls removed some paint from the table.

This. Compared to say an Amicus, the ability to move the Tennirobo allows for far more realistic serves. I wish some TT company would just buy out Sergei and do some investing in programming so that aspects of the interface could be upscaled. But as a multiball feeder of serves and high quality shots, this robot has far more potential than most of the robots pros use because of the ability to vary positioning and the work that has gone into creating realistic balls. While I practiced against its serves, it was the first time I actually felt I was practicing with a robot against serves that I could see myself returning in matches.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 12:55 

Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 10:42 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Had the pleasure of playing against Brett recently at a local open tournament.

It was so nice to have such a great example of leftie serves in practical application against me. He definitely fooled me a few times. Just glad I got him back with a couple!

No mention of the score, for the most obvious of reasons.... lol

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 10:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
Had the pleasure of playing against Brett recently at a local open tournament.

It was so nice to have such a great example of leftie serves in practical application against me. He definitely fooled me a few times. Just glad I got him back with a couple!

No mention of the score, for the most obvious of reasons.... lol

Huh... washed up TT in Australia???

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2021, 16:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

maurice101 wrote:

Good god.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2021, 03:14 

Hey everyone.. it's been a while since I posted here. I've been lurking now and then and tempted to join ttedge again, when things get back to normal and league starts here again, I will certainly need Brett's expert coaching :D.

I found a clip of my FH from 2018, I believe it was around then that I joined ttedge. Looking at it and remembering how I practiced then made me realize how arm oriented it was, even though my FH was my strength and I did use some hip rotation then, I remember consciously tensing my arm because I thought that was how you got more power. After ttedge insight I realized that was completely wrong and I've since then tried to let the arm follow the body, it has lead to more consistency and less arm pain. I hope the most recent FH vs block looks less arm-driven compared to the older one. Though I'm going for a bit too much power here which also makes it inconsistent. Anyway, my point is Brett helped me understand where the focus should be (driving the arm with the hips) and that makes it easier.

My training partner has recorded our practice lately so I put together a bunch of clips. I've worked a lot on my backhand which I've found incredibly hard to figure out, but lately a few things have started to click. I've also got new equipment, Chinese rubber (H8) on the FH, harder rubber on the backhand a few months later I got a carbon blade. Since the change I went on a big win streak against the guys I usually practice with so it definitely did something good. I never thought I'd change from an all-wood blade and I don't know how much of a real difference there is, but since the change I've felt more stability. The harder rubber helped serve return.

0:00​​-0:37​​ FH against block
0:38​​-0:54​​ 2 point FH
0:54​​-1:11​​ 2 BH 2 FH
1:11​​-1:55​​ BH against BH/block
1:55​​-3:05​​ BH open up and BH follow up
3:05​​-3:35​​ BH flip and other stuff
3:35​​-3:57​​ FH loop-loop
3:58​​ BH block and defense

2018 FH:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 01:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Hey Rich, good to see you training! You are obviously a very good player, so it is hard to judge your technique (at least for me), so take it with a grain of salt. From my point of view, it seems that your BH against block relies upon the arm movement (as opposed to being driven by the body) a bit too much... But it could be my personal nitpicking since I personally tried to make a very explicit bow/fold when playing a BH topspin.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 03:05 

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Hey Rich, good to see you training! You are obviously a very good player, so it is hard to judge your technique (at least for me), so take it with a grain of salt. From my point of view, it seems that your BH against block relies upon the arm movement (as opposed to being driven by the body) a bit too much... But it could be my personal nitpicking since I personally tried to make a very explicit bow/fold when playing a BH topspin.

Thank you! I just updated my subscription on ttedge as I'm curious to see the new stuff about the backhand. Though I think I've understood what should be happening. I think you're right. I could let my body drive the backhand more, I've just struggled a lot with how to do it. When I believe I'm bowing a lot video shows otherwise lol.

Years ago my backhand started with zero body movement, then I used too much wrist.. then I used too much forearm, then recently I got told to use my wrist more and I also got told by a very good player to follow through properly instead of restricting the movement (I think I did this in an attempt to shorten the motion, but it's ineffective). I've tried to incorporate more body movement in the BH since I learnt it from Brett.. but it seems to me that because I had kind of the wrong idea of the forward swing my arm has still been fighting my body like in that FH example.

Edit: After watching the latest BH vids on ttedge it definitely looks like I need to do more leg bend. I also see what I can do better on my FH countertopspins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529 ... 568  Next