OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 07:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
The Chinese have been testing pandas for several millennium. I'm new to the game.

After you freed me 2 days ago, I finally got tickets back to Australia. Thanks for allocating me your final wishes.

I"m off to to see the world!

Australia may not be the safest place. Vietnam might be better. Of course I'm sitting in Covid central and we have a hurricane tomorrow night. So my defamation of Australia may be the biggest joke of the thread.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 12:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
The Chinese have been testing pandas for several millennium. I'm new to the game.

After you freed me 2 days ago, I finally got tickets back to Australia. Thanks for allocating me your final wishes.

I"m off to to see the world!

Australia may not be the safest place. Vietnam might be better. Of course I'm sitting in Covid central and we have a hurricane tomorrow night. So my defamation of Australia may be the biggest joke of the thread.

I'm going to South Australia, which is basically free of covid.

Best of luck with everything there re the hurricane.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 22:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've been working with Brett on my BH serve.

One of the biggest problems I have is the service toss - I find it really hard to do this consistently, and have it land in front of my body, especially coordinating that with an anticlockwise turn. I figured out this morning that if I could get a consistent rhythm of a toss up and down taking 1.5-2 seconds (ie time for me to say up... down... or something) that gives me time to move nicely.

However, I still find it incredibly difficult to throw the ball up straight and have it come down straight. Any tips? It sounds trivial, and as if I could just "practice", but believe me I have practiced, and I'm still rubbish at it... so something a bit more targeted might help.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 02:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Any ideas?

Toss it slightly back into your body. Makes it easier. Zero players have a completely legal serve. Don't make serving harder for yourself trying to be the only one.

Sorry, bad reading comp on my part, I missed that this was bh serve specific. Tossing back might still help but idk.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 04:36 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
LordCope wrote:

One of the biggest problems I have is the service toss - I find it really hard to do this consistently, and have it land in front of my body, especially coordinating that with an anticlockwise turn. I figured out this morning that if I could get a consistent rhythm of a toss up and down taking 1.5-2 seconds (ie time for me to say up... down... or something) that gives me time to move nicely.

However, I still find it incredibly difficult to throw the ball up straight and have it come down straight. Any tips? It sounds trivial, and as if I could just "practice", but believe me I have practiced, and I'm still rubbish at it... so something a bit more targeted might help.

Any ideas?

Practice the toss with the racket in your hand and then try to start the toss around the area where you intend to strike the ball. I usually have to toss the ball over my left hip on the backhand serve. At least, that is how it feels.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 06:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Learn how to juggle 2 balls (not TT balls) in 1 hand. I already had this skill so the toss was pretty easy to pick up. Sometimes I still have poor tosses tho.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 15:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What do you think?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 15:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

wilkinru wrote:
Learn how to juggle 2 balls (not TT balls) in 1 hand. I already had this skill so the toss was pretty easy to pick up. Sometimes I still have poor tosses tho.

This is a very interesting point. I've never been able to master even simple three ball juggling, because I don't toss the ball in a predictable arc... I end up chasing the ball around. So I guess it's the same problem. Narrowing that down to juggling with two things in one hand could really help.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 15:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
What do you think?

If he is training footwork then it should pointless for table tennis -- there is no footwork in the game!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 15:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
What do you think?

If he is training footwork then it should pointless for table tennis -- there is no footwork in the game!

Okay, you made me lol and you have solid points.

I'm still very interested to hear other opinions.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 18:11 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Brett Clarke wrote:
What do you think?

I think the benefit here is in reactions and reading, rather than footwork. I've done a similar exercise with tennis balls thrown at a player with their back to a wall - they have to use their playing hand to stop the ball hitting the wall, left or right, at various heights. I found it useful for anticipation / reactions.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 19:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
LordCope wrote:
I think the benefit here is in reactions and reading, rather than footwork.

If those guys seriously want to improve their anticipation, they should play the TTEdge app instead of this silly exercise.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 20:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
What do you think?

Okay, you made me lol and you have solid points.

I'm still very interested to hear other opinions.

Those silly Koreans, always goofing off instead of training.

NL has been brainwashing me with Korean YT TT videos Clockwork Orange style, and iirc the eng subs, they want to get their foot lined up with the ball to play their stroke.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 21:24 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
This is would be categorized as a "defensive" open agility drill, and I think they have their place. It's hard to comment on an exercise or drill in isolation, out of context. Personally, I'm not a fan of the "kicking" component. I like to use these drills to help work on the raw fundamentals of movement (push off angles, braking, etc.) before sport-specific practice. Having to kick the ball interferes with that a bit too much, imo.

I would have the player slap the ball instead. Palm on the forehand side, back of the hand on the backhand side.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 09:35 

LordCope wrote:

Any ideas?

I think I would try a higher toss. I personally have an above average toss height I think. It makes it easier for me to time it.

Also, this is probably completely irrelevant, but I sometimes see people with the ball toss hand above their racket hand and vice versa. I don't know if one is more correct than the other, but might be worth considering if you're still having trouble. Then there are people who have a straight on to the table stance and a backhand favoured stance, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!