OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 15:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If you watch long enough the smasher actually ends up winning this point.

Attachment:
Smash-gif.gif
Smash-gif.gif [ 733.43 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 08:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Whenever in doubt, take the ball as late as possible distance wise from the table, especially if you are looping the ball off the end of the table with a forward stroke (true for both forehand and backhand).

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 08:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
If you watch long enough the smasher actually ends up winning this point.

Attachment:
Smash-gif.gif

In a real match, Adam Bobrow would cream this smasher.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 11:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
Is there anybody alive out there?

What is the perfect timing for an amateur player to loop a long top-side serve (esp. with BH)?

1) Before the top of the bounce, on the rise?
2) After the top, on the fall?

I don't think it's possible on the fall. I'm going to make up some s*** and say as the ball is rising. This is all for bh

I personally like to take it on the rise, and it seems like all the pros do it this way. I recently watched an interesting video where the presenter suggested taking it later (I think it was on Gucchy's channel). But it had computer-generated subtitles, so maybe I messed it all up. I still make way too many mistakes with my BH loop receive, so I thought that maybe taking it later should help... Anyway, I will probably continue looping it before the top of the bounce.

Brett Clarke wrote:
I am still here.
What I would like to talk about is a project that I'm working on. It's called AI ttEDGE and the name kind of gives it away. In short, the eventual goal of AI ttEDGE is to have an Artificial Intelligence tt coaching app that has virtual me coaching you in real time. So you'll be playing your shots and AI Brett Clarke will be telling you what you are doing right and wrong.

That is a really cool idea, and I think it should work for learning basic shots, especially for beginners. Smaller nuances could be more difficult to catch, though. I hope that the app will not start posting here instead of you. Despite all the advances with AI, I doubt it could replicate a sense of humor.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 12:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Happy New Year everyone!

Some entertainment content, playing the match was very fun.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 12:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If someone is serving properly then you'll have to take it on the rise, whether you want to or not. Normally you won't have a choice.

If someone is serving mostly short to your forehand and then occasionally long your backhand then you'll almost have your legs touching the table to cover the short ball. You won't have time to run back and take the ball later. It will hit you in the stomach before your legs move.

If someone is serving long every serve at lower ratings then I guess you can stand back a bit and let it drop.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 12:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I am still here.
What I would like to talk about is a project that I'm working on. It's called AI ttEDGE and the name kind of gives it away. In short, the eventual goal of AI ttEDGE is to have an Artificial Intelligence tt coaching app that has virtual me coaching you in real time. So you'll be playing your shots and AI Brett Clarke will be telling you what you are doing right and wrong.

That is a really cool idea, and I think it should work for learning basic shots, especially for beginners. Smaller nuances could be more difficult to catch, though. I hope that the app will not start posting here instead of you. Despite all the advances with AI, I doubt it could replicate a sense of humor.

Thanks for understanding that this is just a comedy thread.

The app should tell people there is no such thing as footwork and there are no good tactics in tt. This should all be hard coded into the app and won't be part of any neural network decision response. It might even be the first thing you need to hear everyday when you put the earbud into your ear. Even better, you may have to acknowledge all of this before it will coach you. "Good morning Ilia...I hope you have a great session today! Now please state that all tt tactics suck and footwork in a myth...before we can continue."

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 12:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Happy New Year everyone!

The opponent needs to work on his forehand.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 13:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
The app should tell people there is no such thing as footwork and there are no good tactics in tt.

Ok, I am switching to pickleball then. Hope they have good tactics there.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 05:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Happy New Year everyone!

That's a good win! Congrats!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 11:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
If someone is serving properly then you'll have to take it on the rise, whether you want to or not. Normally you won't have a choice.

If someone is serving mostly short to your forehand and then occasionally long your backhand then you'll almost have your legs touching the table to cover the short ball. You won't have time to run back and take the ball later. It will hit you in the stomach before your legs move.

If someone is serving long every serve at lower ratings then I guess you can stand back a bit and let it drop.

Makes sense.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 13:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I learned it the hard way lol.

Brett Clarke wrote:
AI technology will probably take over most jobs at some stage throughout the next 50 years.

I personally think it is quite a long shot, despite all the impressive advances made in the latest years. Historically, public interest in AI followed a cyclic pattern: when a technological advance was overhyped, with a consequent downfall when the expectations were not met. These periods were called AI winters, it all has been happening since the 60s, and IMHO we are on our way to another winter. Wikipedia gives a reasonable overview of the story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_winter. I am very impressed with all the AlphaGo/AlphaFold stuff, but I doubt that AI will be a significant part of human life anytime soon. Maybe warehouse workers will be automated away, but I don't think that we are going to see widely used self-driving cars in the next 10 years or even later. For more AI skepticism see: http://blog.piekniewski.info/.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 14:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I learned it the hard way lol.

Brett Clarke wrote:
AI technology will probably take over most jobs at some stage throughout the next 50 years.

I personally think it is quite a long shot, despite all the impressive advances made in the latest years. Historically, public interest in AI followed a cyclic pattern: when a technological advance was overhyped, with a consequent downfall when the expectations were not met. These periods were called AI winters, it all has been happening since the 60s, and IMHO we are on our way to another winter. Wikipedia gives a reasonable overview of the story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_winter. I am very impressed with all the AlphaGo/AlphaFold stuff, but I doubt that AI will be a significant part of human life anytime soon. Maybe warehouse workers will be automated away, but I don't think that we are going to see widely used self-driving cars in the next 10 years or even later. For more AI skepticism see: http://blog.piekniewski.info/.

Fair enough.

I'm also sceptical of some aspects although advances in Machine Learning and mobile devices is a bit of a game changer. The problem isn't the tech...the problem is finding real-world uses and someone with enough vision to match it with needs.

Is writing a book a good idea? It depends on the author and subject, right? I feel that it's the same with apps and tech etc. Apps are a bit boring, unless you have something amazing. If you can point your phone camera app at your eyes and it can tell you if you will soon go blind without treatment, I think the app is valuable. This is an example of where machine learning is used.

If I stood behind a table tennis game and showed you everything live on the current AI ttEDGE app, you'd probably be really surprised. It can display player information in real time that is close to shocking. I've seen the look on people's faces when they've looked at my phone and saw AI analysing everything live. I couldn't have achieved this 5 years ago, winter or no winter. A winter doesn't impact what I'm trying to do. In fact users don't even have to know what tech is behind the coaching tips. I might not even worry about displaying stuff on the screen and it could just be a black box yelling instructions like "bend your knees more".

I've watched your emailed stuff, btw. I'll watch again and get back to you soon.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 17:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:

This is not my experience at all, but I guess the top level players play at light speed. In my experience, unless I allowed the server's patterns make me let my guard down or they were great servers, I could usually tell from the first bounce on their side what the intended length was and adjust my footwork consequently.

The bigger issue for me was whether the serve was topspin or not and I found if I looped the first ball off the table, it became easier to wait and loop the ball than to try to take it early (mostly because I couldn't force myself to close my racket but for some reason, I could count an extra microsecond in my head which supposedly made all the difference). It was usually better to wait and take the ball with my forehand, but if I took it with my backhand and looped the ball long, I just tried to avoid taking the ball extremely early and the ball would start landing on the table again. The compromise was to take the ball earlier with less power, but this felt like blocking which defeated the whole purpose of the stroke.

I do find though that what many coaches call top of the bounce is slightly after the top of the bounce when put in slow motion on camera.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 01:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr P you could switch to short pips on backhand. Then def take the receive early. Don't worry if top-side or back-side. Just smack the s*** out of it and see what happens.

About the AI coach, make it a black box shouting instructions please. You want it to be as close to a human coach as possible and that's how they are. Like it should also know when the student is performing like utter trash, but their mental state is very weak, so the AI needs to lie and tell them they are doing good just for emotional support.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548 ... 568  Next