OOAK Table Tennis Forum
https://ooakforum.com/

TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!
https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28641
Page 406 of 411

Author:  BRS [ 31 Aug 2019, 21:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

NextLevel wrote:
The focus on doing the correct technique tends to be compromised by the belief (common amongst amateurs) that a technique is only being done correctly if it gets the ball on the table. People get stuck doing the same old crap because they are too concerned with how they feel when they miss the ball.


Isn't that why you should do the first couple thousand reps with no ball?

Stalin said it best -- When there is a ball, there is missing the table. When there is no ball, there is no missing,

Author:  NextLevel [ 31 Aug 2019, 21:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
The focus on doing the correct technique tends to be compromised by the belief (common amongst amateurs) that a technique is only being done correctly if it gets the ball on the table. People get stuck doing the same old crap because they are too concerned with how they feel when they miss the ball.


Isn't that why you should do the first couple thousand reps with no ball?

Stalin said it best -- When there is a ball, there is missing the table. When there is no ball, there is no missing,

Doing it without the ball doesn't guarantee you will do it right when the ball shows up, but it can help. Learning is a process, demanding success at the start of the process is the issue. There is a tension between trying and doing, but if you believe like I do that learning has a physical substrate, growing out all the machinery for success should take time. TT is about ball control not about putting the ball on the table in practice per se.

Author:  Styk [ 01 Sep 2019, 00:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

NextLevel wrote:

TT is about ball control not about putting the ball on the table in practice per se.



That simple sentence is a terrific summation of this concept! Thanks for all you share.

Author:  Brett Clarke [ 01 Sep 2019, 00:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

Styk wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

TT is about ball control not about putting the ball on the table in practice per se.



That simple sentence is a terrific summation of this concept! Thanks for all you share.


Yep, it's a monster post!

I now have an overnight flight to Mongolia to consider why it's so good.

Author:  NextLevel [ 02 Sep 2019, 22:51 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

Styk wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

TT is about ball control not about putting the ball on the table in practice per se.



That simple sentence is a terrific summation of this concept! Thanks for all you share.


Thanks - to be fair, the concept assumes decent practice and training time. I never really understand people who get mad at how they play and yet do less than 2-6 hours a week of quality calibrated training (assuming substantial more match play as well). This is of course nothing compared to what the pros do, but there are a lot of factors involved, including how long you have been playing for and where you are on the growth curve.

Author:  wilkinru [ 04 Sep 2019, 05:02 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!



Brett talked to me at the camp about folding on serve and gave some thoughts on it. I know I'm not there yet but this is where I'm at now with it. I'm ready to take the next step in advice.

The results have been reasonably good using this serve in any case.

Author:  NextLevel [ 07 Sep 2019, 13:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595

Author:  NextLevel [ 07 Sep 2019, 13:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

wilkinru wrote:


Brett talked to me at the camp about folding on serve and gave some thoughts on it. I know I'm not there yet but this is where I'm at now with it. I'm ready to take the next step in advice.

The results have been reasonably good using this serve in any case.


IMO, it is a good serve, looks like a side backspin serve - you could get it a bit closer to your body though. You could make it more pure backspin if you get the racket angle more towards you, but many good players serve this way (BRS) so nothing wrong with it as long as you know what you are doing.

Those pushes over the table, let the ball come long or let it double bounce, you will be surprised if you see that some of them still come off (doesn't mean they won't be annoying to loop). Or try to loop/flick them over the table. Push yourself a bit.

Author:  haggisv [ 07 Sep 2019, 20:15 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

NextLevel wrote:
For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595

Yep, there he is, watching another long pimple player from India. :o Batra might have started a trend...

Author:  fastmover [ 08 Sep 2019, 00:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

NextLevel wrote:
For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595


Are we playing a game "Spot Brett on backgrounds of YouTube videos"? :)

Author:  BRS [ 08 Sep 2019, 00:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

What I want to know is did NL watch the first six hours of that juniors event before spotting Brett?

Also heard the commenter being pretty harsh about the limitations of LP blocking as a style for top juniors. He won't win many friends on ooak with that attitude.

Author:  wilkinru [ 08 Sep 2019, 05:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

haggisv wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595

Yep, there he is, watching another long pimple player from India. :o Batra might have started a trend...


I love the pixelated scorn on Brett's face whenever the pips were involved in letting the Korean thump the ball with her forehand.

Author:  NextLevel [ 09 Sep 2019, 02:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595


Are we playing a game "Spot Brett on backgrounds of YouTube videos"? :)


I play to win :D :

https://youtu.be/uxGzxyHR_g0?t=12305

Author:  NextLevel [ 09 Sep 2019, 02:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

Duplicate replacement:

Coaching is hard...

Author:  Brett Clarke [ 11 Sep 2019, 15:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
For people who may be wondering what is keeping Brett busy these days:

https://youtu.be/NL8Wo2SDOBg?t=23595


Are we playing a game "Spot Brett on backgrounds of YouTube videos"? :)


I play to win :D :

https://youtu.be/uxGzxyHR_g0?t=12305


Omg Laj, you need to get a life man!

I'll play the game tho.

Attachment:
India Junior Boys Silver Medal Asian Juniors 2019.jpeg
India Junior Boys Silver Medal Asian Juniors 2019.jpeg [ 102.15 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

Page 406 of 411 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/