OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 20:17 

Hey guys. So I've been working on my forehand and this is where I'm at now.

I think my forehand is finally getting somewhere I'm happy with. But if you guys notice anything, I'd love to hear it.

My goal recently has been more waist rotation. I'm not sure if I'm too tense or not. I feel pretty relaxed, but my arm also doesn't look to have much whip. It's mostly just rotation I think.

I feel like I'm putting in more effort than reward, if that makes sense. But maybe things still aren't flowing 100% correctly, like from feet down to fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVfSoJWbV0

I left the second last shot (only 1 shot, not a rally) in because I felt like maybe there is something I can learn from it. At the time I felt like I was contacting the ball too far forward, but looking at the video, maybe the ideal contact point needs to be more forward for my regular shots too. What do you think?

Cheers.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 20:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Honestly, I am really surprised that you guys can still play. The last time I could play was late February.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 20:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The closest I can do to table tennis is write BS in this thread.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 20:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
Honestly, I am really surprised that you guys can still play. The last time I could play was late February.

No friends with tables? No clubs close by who you know the owners and can ask politely to use their facilities while they are closed? Can't buy a table to put in your place?

Most people I know who really need to play found a way to satisfy themselves by finding a spot to play. They may have created it by buying a cheap table and putting it in a living room and plan to give it away after the pandemic. Some also bought a robot to give themselves company.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:

No friends with tables? No clubs close by who you know the owners and can ask politely to use their facilities while they are closed? Can't buy a table to put in your place?

Most people I know who really need to play found a way to satisfy themselves by finding a spot to play. They may have created it by buying a cheap table and putting it in a living room and plan to give it away after the pandemic. Some also bought a robot to give themselves company.

I am back in Russia now, and my apartment is too small to fit a table. People almost never have tables at home unless they live outside of the city. Everything "official" is closed (and rightfully so). The best I can do is to play outdoors, but I still would not do it because of the virus risks. Actually, I just realized that I can try to practice serves on an outdoor table nearby on quiet days, that is the max I can do.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:

I think my forehand is finally getting somewhere I'm happy with. But if you guys notice anything, I'd love to hear it.

My goal recently has been more waist rotation. I'm not sure if I'm too tense or not. I feel pretty relaxed, but my arm also doesn't look to have much whip. It's mostly just rotation I think.

I feel like I'm putting in more effort than reward, if that makes sense. But maybe things still aren't flowing 100% correctly, like from feet down to fingers.

I left the second last shot (only 1 shot, not a rally) in because I felt like maybe there is something I can learn from it. At the time I felt like I was contacting the ball too far forward, but looking at the video, maybe the ideal contact point needs to be more forward for my regular shots too. What do you think?

Cheers.

I think that's your forehand. Just continue to do that!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

Shadow swing (pivots etc), do LTT106 and win the ttEDGE Cup on the table tennis edge app. Send me the footage of your shadow swings.

I have been surprisingly consistent over the last 4 months at doing the above. I haven't hit a real ball for 4 months, so it's a major experiment for me. I get to see the impact of doing this type of stuff...when I get out of my compound in Northern India!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:28 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

mickd wrote:

Cheers.

It looks good. Just improve the variation(spin speed and type if soin) and the recovery (get your partner to go back to his annoying fast blocks once in a while) and the use of the stroke at various playing distances so that you have options. But that stroke will only get better. I don't see the point in over thinking. If I put you in one of those Korean videos and I didn't know who you were or what your playing level was, you wouldn't look out of place (okay maybe not enough lower body muscle so you might need to be on the Japanese team) and I would be looking for tidbits on forehand topspin. You might get subtle insights as you practice more and get better at using the stroke but it won't be because the stroke itself is suboptimal per se.

Forehand is effort. You might get relaxed as you practice more especially in the arm. But there is a reason that most players get tired after doing forehand footwork and looping.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Last edited by NextLevel on 04 Jul 2020, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Shadow swing (pivots etc), do LTT106 and win the ttEDGE Cup on the table tennis edge app. Send me the footage of your shadow swings.

I have been surprisingly consistent over the last 4 months at doing the above. I haven't hit a real ball for 4 months, so it's a major experiment for me. I get to see the impact of doing this type of stuff...when I get out of my compound in Northern India!

We are in (nearly) the same boat then.

I had been doing shadow swing sessions from March to June at least several times per week. Recently I had two heavy jetlags in a row with a short break, I also got quarantined in a hotel for two weeks in between. There was literally no space there to do anything and I was afraid to spook my roommate lol. Hopefully, I will get back on track soon.

Last edited by Dr.Pivot on 04 Jul 2020, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2020, 21:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
mickd wrote:

Cheers.

It looks good. Just improve the variation(spin speed and type if soin) and the recovery (get your partner to go back to his annoying fast blocks once in a while) and the use of the stroke at various playing distances so that you have options. But that stroke will only get better. I don't see the point in over thinking. If I put you in one of those Korean videos and I didn't know who you were or what your playing level was, you wouldn't look out of place (okay maybe not enough lower body muscle so you might need to be on the Japanese team) and I would be looking for tidbits on forehand topspin. You might get subtle insights as you practice more and get better at using the stroke but it won't be because the stroke itself is suboptimal per se.

Forehand is effort. You might get relaxed as you practice more especially in the arm. But there is a reason that most players get tired after doing forehand footwork and looping.

This is all true. If I speed up the footage 25%, I can convince people that you are new Japanese champion. The technique is in a range where there is not much left to discuss.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020, 00:17 

fastmover wrote:

My friend has a table in his garage, which is where I mostly play.

Also, Japan was only under lockdown for like 3 weeks (and even then, it was only a recommended lockdown since legally they can't force one). Some prefectures are still under voluntary lockdown though. After that clubs have been open and are operating like normal. I think people in general being more careful here has allowed the virus to stay under control while most people continue their lives like before.

Brett Clarke wrote:
I think that's your forehand. Just continue to do that!

NextLevel wrote:

Brett Clarke wrote:
This is all true. If I speed up the footage 25%, I can convince people that you are new Japanese champion. The technique is in a range where there is not much left to discuss.

Thanks Brett and NL. I think I finally have something that I can work on without constantly second guessing myself. There are still some small things I want to work into my forehand (a little more rotation, a little better freehand usage, and a little more relaxation and hopefully forearm snap) but I'll do those slowly while working on improving the feeling of what I have now. For the last 4 or so years I've been trying different things and I've never been satisfied with what I saw. I also had people around me telling me my stroke is too arm heavy and I'm not using my body, which kept me trying to figure out what to do. But now that I have something I like, I'll work on integrating it instead of changing it. It's an exciting time :oops:

BTW. I did try speed up the video by 25% on youtube and it looks amazing haha. Not a speed I can humanly play at, but it looks really cool.

PS. NL, haha those blocks my partner does sometimes are SUPER quick. He's good at just taking the ball early and fast off the bounce with an aggressive block. It keeps me on my toes for sure. The best part is that I never know when it'll come (and it comes more often than I'd hope hehe).

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020, 11:45 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

mickd,

If you think those blocks are "SUPER quick", then tell him to start smashing and punching the ball at you and see what happens. Make all the blocks come to the same area of the table and you loop to the same area of the table and see who wins the battle. That way you have to use some variation in your loops so that you don't loop hard and get the ball blocked past you for a winner.

When I started hitting with my current practice partner months ago, when he smashed, the rallies were usually over. Now, I can sometimes reloop the smash (no, not just bring the smash back, I mean topspin it for a clean winner). Part of what keeps us from improving is letting our egos decide how difficult what we are doing is and then deciding not to do it rather than just accepting it until we can handle it.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020, 13:03 

Sorry, I don't mean the ones in the video. Those are just normal blocks. That video was during the ~5minutes of FH vs block we do. I use that time to try and get my stroke to something I like. Outside of that time he is free to, and very often does his super fast blocks. I don't tell him not to because I like to use it like you said, as a way to learn to adjust. I can usually get them back since I've been playing with him for a long time. But I do like the consistency time too to help concrete a stroke.

Your partner definitely has some fast off the bounce returns. I see them all the time. I definitely don't let my ego stop me from trying to handle the fast ones :) My general philosophy there is that if I can handle the fast ones, all others will feel slow :) That said, it was mostly during the passive block drills that I have managed to figure out the base stroke.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2020, 15:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When you are learning a shot, get your partner to block normally until you are unable to do anything else but play with perfect leg rotation. You'll know when you have the technique cemented by running the below experiment.

Try to do something "wrong" like not rotating your legs. If you fail and the legs just continue to rotate slightly because of a subconscious brain pattern, then you'll know that correct technique is cemented and you are ready to expand your training.

Ideally, it should be a major mental battle to stuff up. This is why bad coaching isn't as bad as it should be. The coach tells the student the wrong thing and the student is unable to win the battle against their trained subconscious...they can't stuff up. The coach takes the $60 and everyone sleeps that night in ignorant bliss.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2020, 00:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Is this a good drill?

https://youtu.be/Nf7A2HCmN_c

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470 ... 568  Next