OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:34 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Hi Guys,

As you know or might not know, the rules sometimes can be unclear in Table Tennis, as we all haven't learnt the rules off by heart, and there are a number of myths that are commonly believed to be true by the general... public.

This topic, if you have any questions??? or just not sure please post them here and hopefully it can be answered by us.

There's probably a few that I can think off the top of my head, also the recent post that I read in DarkHorse's thread that has sparked my Monkey- self too bring this up...... :confused3: ... heheh!

Quote Takoyak1
Quote:
just a question about doubles serving can your serve hit anywhere on your side of the table tthen go onto the side it should be on the opponents side? Confused

Answer
Silver wrote:
TAKOYAK1 wrote:
just a question about doubles serving can your serve hit anywhere on your side of the table tthen go onto the side it should be on the opponents side? :?

no. must hit your right half, then the opponent's right half.

:D :D :D

Okay, please post your questions if you are not sure about ANYTHING, and hopefully it will be answered shortly

Metal Monkey :help: :dontknow: :book: :munky2: :chef:

Last edited by metal monkey on 09 Nov 2008, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:40 
I think this is a great idea mm. Although hopefully this won't turn into an argumentative forum ;).
I have heard both answers from different people.

Question: Does the racket have to be visible before/during your serve?

Last edited by gibxam on 09 Nov 2008, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good idea MM!

OK, I've got one... Say you've got lighting, where the fluros hang down from a high ceiling with chains. You lob the ball really high, and the ball goes over the light between the chains, but does not make contact with anything... Is the ball still in play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:45 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Too get things started....

Recently I was stumped while playing mcdonald (another forum member).... I showed him my racket, cause it was new and I was trying to show off LOL... ha. But he did notice only one thing and probably the first time too, not sure if he has seen my blade before....

You have NO sponge, it can not be approved as all rubber must have sponge... they will not allow this in any tournament or competitions.

Well, I don't really know for certain myself. But I had too BS and tell him it was okay since Paul P. and Dr. N uses no sponge...

Other's I am not so sure....

During the game and in the rally, if it touches your hand or your finger, the point is stopped and given to the other player???

Pimples is cheating????
Really I don't think so since it involves good skill albeit different from inverted it still needs perhaps better feeling and good touch, also the level of increasing is much slower than normal rubbers.

Double sponges under the topsheet???

metal monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:45 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haggisv wrote:
Good idea MM!

OK, I've got one... Say you've got lighting, where the fluros hang down from a high ceiling with chains. You lob the ball really high, and the ball goes over the light between the chains, but does not make contact with anything... Is the ball still in play?

Yes.

Though some umps will call a let.

Technically it's still in play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

gibxam wrote:
I think this is a great idea mm. Although hopefully this won't turn into an argumentative forum ;).
I have heard both answers from different people.

Question: Does the racket have to be visible on before/during your serve?

Only at the point of contact with the ball, since the ball needs to be visible at that point:

Quote:
2.06.04 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry. 8/29/2006
2.06.05 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.
Note: The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

metal monkey wrote:
Too get things started....

Recently I was stumped while playing mcdonald (another forum member).... I showed him my racket, cause it was new and I was trying to show off LOL... ha. But he did notice only one thing and probably the first time too, not sure if he has seen my blade before....

You have NO sponge, it can not be approved as all rubber must have sponge... they will not allow this in any tournament or competitions.

Well, I don't really know for certain myself. But I had too BS and tell him it was okay since Paul P. and Dr. N uses no sponge...

Other's I am not so sure....

OX is fine for pimples out rubber. Inverted is only allowed in sandwich form.
Technically ox pimples out counts as "ordinary pimpled rubber" and anything with a sponge counts as "sandwich"
metal monkey wrote:
During the game and in the rally, if it touches your hand or your finger, the point is stopped and given to the other player???

Only if it's a double hit, ie, hits your finger, hits your bat, goes back.

metal monkey wrote:
Pimples is cheating????

yep! :lol:
metal monkey wrote:
Double sponges under the topsheet???

Illegal. Sponge must be a single sheet (ie, continuous)

Last edited by Silver on 09 Nov 2008, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Silver wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Good idea MM!

Yes.

Yes I thought so too, but I could not find a relevant rule... In fact I know that if it touches the light, it's no longer in play, but I have not managed to locate the relevant rule for it...

Last edited by haggisv on 09 Nov 2008, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:50 
....sigh it looks like silver beat me to it MM but I have some interesting reading to back up what he said :)

Quote:
Hitting the Ball

It is considered legal to hit the ball with your fingers, or with your racket hand below the wrist, or even any part of the bat.(Law 2.5.7) This means that you could quite legally return the ball by

1. hitting it with the back of your racket hand;
2. hitting it with the edge of the bat, instead of the rubber;
3. hitting it with the handle of the bat.

There are a couple of important provisos though:

1. Your hand is only your racket hand if it is holding the racket, so this means you can't drop your bat and then hit the ball with your hand, because your hand is no longer your racket hand. (Point 9.2 HMO)
2. You are not allowed to hit the ball twice, so if the ball hits your fingers, and then bounces and hits your bat, this is considered a double hit and you lose the point. (Law 2.10.1.6) If the ball hits your hand and the bat at the same time, then this is not a double hit. It can be hard to tell the difference!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:50 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haggisv wrote:
Silver wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Good idea MM!

Yes.

Yes I thought so too, but I could not find a relevant rule... In fact I know that if it touches the light, it's not longer in play, but I have not managed to locate the relevant rule for it...

The rule for a good return is directly strikes the table or strikes the table after contacting the net assembly.

um... 2.07.01

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:52 
I am Legend
I am Legend

gibxam wrote:

1. Your hand is only your racket hand if it is holding the racket, so this means you can't drop your bat and then hit the ball with your hand, because your hand is no longer your racket hand. (Point 9.2 HMO)

ah, in international rules the racket hand is the hand last holding the bat. You can drop the racket, return with your hand.

Li Ching did it in '06 WTTTC iirc. Smacked the bat on the table, lost his grip and tried to return with his hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:55 
Before its off to sleep I have one more question...

Question: If the your opponent hits the ball and it bounces away from the table horizontally thus forcing you to move horizontally away from the table and you hit the ball back but it does not go over the net instead going around (I already know this is legal I checked :)) but does not land directly on top of the table but instead hits the side is it legal? How would the ump know whether it hit the very edge instead of hitting the side? I hope this makes sense if not let me know and I draw a diagram with photoshop :twisted:

-Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:56 
alas silver gets me again... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 18:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Good thread Monkey. We've had lots of rule discussions in the past of course, but good to have a general one that can be a good reference and question place. I wonder if a clearer title might help? Something straight-forward like "Rules..Questions and Answers" or the like?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 18:20 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Good thread Monkey. We've had lots of rule discussions in the past of course, but good to have a general one that can be a good reference and question place. I wonder if a clearer title might help? Something straight-forward like "Rules..Questions and Answers" or the like?

Hey Reb and rest of you guys thanks, for the support you have shown even in this short period in time.

Reb I will try to clear the title up, but I really didn't want to just involve this to the rule aspect of things, but in general everything concerned about tt....

such as the question I posted...Is using long pimples cheating???

Heheh Silver was quick too answer. :D

monkey

***title edited

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!