OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 20:02 
The Twiddler

Well last night I had my best ever win in my 20 year playing career and I've just got to tell you about it!! :D :D :D :D

Firstly I have to say a massive "thank you" to Dingwol for taking the time to help me with my game!! It really paid off last night!!!! We met up last week and he showed me some very useful shots that I just wasn't using. The chop-block and the open faced punch (sounds violent :lol:)

Just to set the scene, every game we've played this year in our league has been against the toughest players. The team that won the top division last year have only turned out their best player on 3 occasions, two of which have been against us (the newly promoted team!). The same happened when we met another local team and they turned up with the former England number 2! Every single game has been against the teams best players, so we've had a really tough time.

In comparison, our closest rivals have faced easier teams and when we've needed a break and they've played against teams that should beat them 10-0, the team has turned up with 2 players and they've got a lot more points than they should have done. Another thing is that last season we won the second division and two other teams came up with us to the top flight. Both of these teams have brought in players to keep them up whereas we kept our original team.

Anyway, last night we played the team that finished second to us last season. We thought it was going to be a good game until they turned up with their strongest ever team, mainly with the addition of a former county ranked player! Great we thought, we're on for another beating!! :cry:

Well, to cut a long story short, we won the game 6-4!!! Not only that, but I won my best ever game in my 20 year playing career! I took two out of my three games but the best win came against....you guessed it, the former county player! I won it in the fifth after winning the first 11-7, losing the next two 4-11, 6-11, then coming back to win 11-8 and then 14-12!

I was utilising the chop block that Dingwol showed me to devastating effect. Not only that, but I played with the red OX Insider and my Inferno style blocking was back!!!! Everything went on with loaded spin and when he chopped, I punched into the ball. When he rolled it with top spin, I chop blocked it back. I even blocked back some instinctive shots that I just haven't been getting back with the black Insider 0.6mm!

So, there you go, I've finally done it! Played a very good game with Insider and beaten a great opponent. I cannot tell you how happy I am this morning. With the a local tournament coming this weekend, I feel in great form!

All the hard work, training, money spent was all made worthwhile after that game last night.

I feel fantastic!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 21:49 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I'm glad to hear that. Keep up the good work.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 22:33 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Congratulations, that's really rewarding when you see something that you've worked on pay off like that. Gives you confidence, and is a real springboard to move on to bigger and better things!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 23:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Excellent news Chris! You are a different person clearly to what you were only 6 or 8 weeks ago when everything seemed off for you. Its a credit to you how quickly you have pulled it back together. Of course it sounds like Dingwol has helped you a lot, but I think you were on your way back and this has just clinched it with his extra insight.

Obviously now is the time to start consolidating. Try to replay the match in your head and look at the things you did that won you points, and what lost them for you. Keep refining the shots in your mind until you have it very clear as to what shots you need to stop your opponents being abole to play, and the shots you need to work on having them let you play. Obviously the best thing would be to have it on video, but failing that I'm sure you will have an idea of what took place to make it a valuable (and enjoyable) exercise. I really think I'm going to start videoing my matches to take advantage of this too! Just have to work out where I can put my camera that it won't get busted.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 00:11 
The Twiddler

Thanks for the comments guys!

Reb - Yes, you're totally right. Dingwol has really helped me but also, I've stuck with my blade + rubber setup. The game last night was really tight. I was actually 7-10 down in the fifth and pulled it back to 10-10, then on to win it 14-12.

The things I really picked up last night was that I need to be more aggressive. I won the first game by just keeping it short, setting the ball up for my loop and then getting a good loop on. This worked well. However in the second and third game I just wasn't as aggressive. I didn't get my loop in as much and I was trying to play too tight. My teammate gave me some really good advice. He said "you've gotta be more aggressive. There's nothing to lose, go for it but use CONTROLLED AGGRESSION". I put that in capitals as this is exactly what I needed to do. Be aggressive, attack, but keep it controlled and pick the right ones.

After that I won the next two games. It really was touch and go at times in the match and I had to think about every single point, every single serve and every single shot. There was just no margin for error. If the chance came up to put in a good loop, I had to take it and luckily it paid off.

It wasn't just the quality of the player that I beat, but the manner in which I did it. Under pressure, against a run of form, low in confidence after getting thrashed in my first game of the evening (11-4, 11-1, 11-7). All of these factors were against me but somehow I managed to focus, grit my teeth and just go for it.

So Reb, in response to your comments, yes, I have taken a lot from this game. I've proven that I CAN play without frictionless rubbers (it's taken a long time), that I need to be more aggressive and confident in my ability to make the shots, but above all, that I can play well and win games if I put my mind to it.

That win wasn't just a win, it was a massive achievement following many many many lows this season. I've finally proven that I can do it and now it's just keeping that going! :D

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 04:51 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
WTG! Had to be some tight moments, but you had loads of fun!

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 08:38 
Mars Attacks!

Well done,
it really sounds like a hard earned and sweet break through moment for you.

Onwards and upwards from here. :thumleft: