OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 03:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Weird fella, this Igor. You wonder if he's actually used many of these balls if he says they break easily. He's confusing them with the older cellulose acetate balls, I think - those had a reputation for breaking. These D40+ balls are actually the most resilient I've seen. We've not managed to break one, even. Whereas the old celluloid balls would develop cracks regularly. What happens with these balls is that they start feeling slightly less hard - there's one player in our group who insists on bringing out a new ball every three to four weeks or so because he feels the old ball is "over the hill". The seamless balls had a reputation for being nigh on indestructible, too, but we haven't used that many of them. Never had one of those break, either.

Iskandar
Press some ABS ball with your thumb, forcefully. Give it a decent pressure with your bending thumb/
Take a shot/. Put up the photo on this page. I'd like to survey the resulting dent.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 19:12 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
The cellfree balls have changed the game - no doubt. But does it really matter?
- the good players still are good players
- same as before, good touch can do wonders
- same as before, sometimes speed/spin/touch/consistency/commitment/athletism (expand the list with other criteria) wins you a match or you loose it because of lack of it

Concerning me:
- same as before, there are still players way better than me that I manage to beat (of course, the pimples...)
- same as before, there are some players that I simply can't win against - regardless of balls, rating, ...
- same as before, practice yields results

My conclusion: table tennis is the same as before, some details have changed. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and indulging in the 'good 'ol times' I consider it far more rewarding to accept the challenge and try to adapt.

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 19:23 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
How long are you need to play with the new ball in the US or .... ?

Well new ... Here we have to play for atleast 5 years now with the ball ....
Nobody is talking about the 'old' ball anymore.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 03:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

igorponger wrote:
Press some ABS ball with your thumb, forcefully. Give it a decent pressure with your bending thumb/
Take a shot/. Put up the photo on this page. I'd like to survey the resulting dent.

ROFL. If you see Igor coming, keep your balls hidden. If you don't, he'll be eyeing your balls, waiting until you're not looking and then he'll put a dent in them with his thumb. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put a dent in ANY ball - I don't care if it's celluloid, cellulose acetate, polyurethane or ABS, whether it's got a seam or not - ANY ball, once dented, is ruined. You can get the dent out (the old method mentioned in schoolbooks was boiling water), but it will never bounce true after that. So what's the point of this "experiment"? To anyone else in the world, the measure of a ball's durability is how long it lasts in play. And by all accounts, the new ABS ball rivals the seamless ball in terms of how long it lasts, and is many times more durable than the ball it replaced. Igor, however, wants to use his thumb to put a dent in the ball to decide what is durable and what isn't.

As I said, bizarre.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 03:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Interesting to hear people's reactions. Obviously, my title for this thread was meant to be exaggerated and provocative, and it's not like I'm seeing 1500 players suddenly beating 2000 players (or even 1800 players beating 2000 players) with the ABS ball, but I guess what I AM saying is that, since the new ball, I've seen a clear percentage increase in the success enjoyed by flat-hitters and loop-drivers, as opposed to loopers and choppers. In light of the fact that the Chinese have even adjusted their technique more towards loop-driving (sharper, shorter ball contact and forward rather than upward force) as a reaction to the new ball, I'm clearly not imagining the problem. I think it's unfortunate because manipulating spin, which was once one of the main weapons choppers could use to win points, isn't nearly the weapon it once was, and so, at least in my view, the game has been dumbed down, making it more purely athletic (how hard and fast you move and hit) and less cerebral.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 05:56 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I have even used an old DHS 40+ abs to play with the hard bat. I blast away and haven't broken yet.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 06:54 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
TraditionalTradesman wrote:
Interesting to hear people's reactions. Obviously, my title for this thread was meant to be exaggerated and provocative, and it's not like I'm seeing 1500 players suddenly beating 2000 players (or even 1800 players beating 2000 players) with the ABS ball, but I guess what I AM saying is that, since the new ball, I've seen a clear percentage increase in the success enjoyed by flat-hitters and loop-drivers, as opposed to loopers and choppers. In light of the fact that the Chinese have even adjusted their technique more towards loop-driving (sharper, shorter ball contact and forward rather than upward force) as a reaction to the new ball, I'm clearly not imagining the problem. I think it's unfortunate because manipulating spin, which was once one of the main weapons choppers could use to win points, isn't nearly the weapon it once was, and so, at least in my view, the game has been dumbed down, making it more purely athletic (how hard and fast you move and hit) and less cerebral.

It's certainly true loopdriving with the ABS ball is a very successful way of playing with it. The loopdriver of our club adores the ball. I like it because it's bounce is more natural, closer to celluloid and it had enough spin to prevent being hit hard.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 08:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Serving is dumbed down and less of a weapon also. We mainly use the Nittaku Japan 40+ and have more or less gotten used to it. Those seamless balls are like a whole other game now. They should be banned.

Why are simple plastic table tennis balls $3 and more complex tennis balls $1?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 09:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mynamenotbob wrote:
Why are simple plastic table tennis balls $3 and more complex tennis balls $1?

DHS 3 star balls:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bonus-P ... 82381.html

20 balls, $11. 55 cents each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... 94998.html

12 balls, $25.37. $2+ each.

"3 star" balls.

https://www.tennisexpress.com/wilson-us ... case-36886

72 balls, $79.99 + $11 shipping. $1.25+ each.

I suppose if you cherry pick you can prove anything... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It could be worse.. we could be playing golf :lol: :lol: :lol:

"3 star" balls:

https://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Ba ... alls_2.htm

12 balls. $47.99 (ignoring shipping) $4 a ball. golfballs.com... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 13:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
This is what they use in all the tournaments around here. This price is for three balls and doesn't include tax or shipping. No point in training with another cheaper ball that plays differently when your opponents are preparing with the correct ball.

Attachments:
nittaku.jpg
nittaku.jpg [ 20.33 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 19:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The answer, then, is it's made in Japan. Everything else (including the "3 star" tennis balls) are made in China. Eventually there's going to be a 50% tariff on them so prices will sort of even out.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 21:42 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
The answer, then, is it's made in Japan. Everything else (including the "3 star" tennis balls) are made in China. Eventually there's going to be a 50% tariff on them so prices will sort of even out.

Iskandar

In the USA, they don't put tariffs on leisure products.

The Nittaku ball is used in the USA because the distributor gives free balls to any tournament wanting to use them. It is cheap advertising for the sponsor. All tournament directors will accept free premium balls which helps their budget.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 03:06 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I wish we used the Nittaku ABS ball. That one is predictable. We use the Joola ABS ball. It is awful. Despite not actually spinning a lot, it nosedives after loops, hardly bounces after pushes and darts off sharply sideways after sidespin. The quality control is awful, and the balls are often not round, so that they constantly flutter and move unpredictably in mid-air.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 03:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LOOPOVER wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Er, not yet anyway... :lol: Looks like everything's a target now, if you've been following the news. Jeans today, balls tomorrow...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 11:01 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Er, not yet anyway... :lol: Looks like everything's a target now, if you've been following the news. Jeans today, balls tomorrow...

Iskandar

I don't think it will happen for leisure products, the USA farmer could be hurt for their exports to China. It will cause inflation in the USA which will devalue the consumer purchasing dollar, effectively lowering wages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next