OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus scare
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 13:26 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I am spending a lot of time at home now.
Watching TT matches from the 38 mm ball era. Reaching out and reconnecting with friends, through email or text or phone, I haven't seen or talked to for years.
Take care and stay healthy, everyone. This will pass.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 16:06 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Debater wrote:
Red_lion wrote:
How do you keep yourself sane/healthy? .

when i was a kid we used the dining table with books put on their edges for nets. ok the ball didn't bounce the same but it was still fun. If you are on your on, put the table flush to a flat wall and hit against the wall. Alternatively try bounce games,how many times can I bounce the ball on the edge of my bat, then combinations of edge FH, then edge BH then variations around the them. Service practice is always possible and you don't need a table for that. Just serve and watch the reaction of the ball on the floor when it bounces. Does it spin back, spin to the side, is that what you expected to happen to the ball with the serve. Lots of things you can do.

I do the service practise every day :up: :clap: also my wife & I really miss the company of our fellow TT playing mates :(

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2020, 22:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I've been watching some of the matches ITTF has been putting up from the 2006 World Team Championships. I really did forget how much faster the game was back then. Players made more errors returning serves, and points were quicker. Really made me think, do I like watching these matches more, or the current matches more. I do have to say, I enjoy the longer points we have now. It's obvious the effectiveness of chopping is less, but overall, I might be coming around to the idea of the new ball encouraging longer rallies is a good thing.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2020, 02:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Most optimistic scenario, I'm afraid.
Attachment:
Olympics_2024.jpg
Olympics_2024.jpg [ 393.85 KiB | Viewed 2212 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 04:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hope everyone is bearing up well. I know I am certainly missing my twice weekly tt exercise. And with the return to sports being undefined at the moment who knows when this will happen. The good news in Australia is we are really flattening this curve and case growth is slowing. That could spell an easing of social distancing restrictions earlier than first thought if it continues. Easter here is a big test but it seems most people are following rules. In Victoria its a $1652 fine to be caught not following them. Which is a pretty big incentive. Anyway, happy easter all, stay safe!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 08:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Looks like Chinese technology has come to Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN20F1RZ

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2020, 12:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Attachment:
Putin Lion.jpg
Putin Lion.jpg [ 66.04 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]

ROFL...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 19:17 

Here are some virus guidelines for playing table tennis by the norwegian federation: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... PZiM8IKRl4 (scroll down to see the article text, some clarifications to translation: only coach touches balls during multiball and "napkin training" should be "serve training")
Anyone else seen similar guidelines?

So you have one person cleaning equipment before/after practice and each pair of playing partners designate one person to pick up the balls or each player has different color or marked balls (necessary for matches or exercises involving serving).

My blog

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 21:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I can understand the extra caution, however,the virus will be living in our environment no matter what we do , so it means that cleaning hands pre-game and post game is a must.

People seem to be so scared or to have been made so scared that they use the mask even if they walk alone in the street.The virus is not in the air,period.Yes, the mask is just needed when you are near other people who might infect you .

Jogging alone,walking on deserted streets, driving alone or with relatives you know they are not infected are activities where the use of the mask is ridiculous- yes, I HAVE BEEN THERE myself; only when you get information straight from a doctor can you stop behaving like crazy .

Maybe the governments all over the world like / want / need us to feel scared.After the crisis is over, anyone can catch the virus again for whatever reason.There won't be a pandemic,the virus is already known and it will be over like when you are infected with the flu.

Of course,I am talking about healthy people whatever age they are,if you suffer from a disesase already, then, the virus complicates the condition and people may die.Before covid-19 some people had already died from flu,nevertheless,the notoriety of covid-19 will make people so afraid they will overdo the safety protocols .

I am just saying we must be careful but let's not become so crazy and scared.Please, talk to a good doctor,you will feel much , much better and freer .

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020, 20:11 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
charmander defender wrote:
I can understand the extra caution, however,the virus will be living in our environment no matter what we do , so it means that cleaning hands pre-game and post game is a must.

People seem to be so scared or to have been made so scared that they use the mask even if they walk alone in the street.The virus is not in the air,period.Yes, the mask is just needed when you are near other people who might infect you .

Jogging alone,walking on deserted streets, driving alone or with relatives you know they are not infected are activities where the use of the mask is ridiculous- yes, I HAVE BEEN THERE myself; only when you get information straight from a doctor can you stop behaving like crazy .

Maybe the governments all over the world like / want / need us to feel scared.After the crisis is over, anyone can catch the virus again for whatever reason.There won't be a pandemic,the virus is already known and it will be over like when you are infected with the flu.

Of course,I am talking about healthy people whatever age they are,if you suffer from a disesase already, then, the virus complicates the condition and people may die.Before covid-19 some people had already died from flu,nevertheless,the notoriety of covid-19 will make people so afraid they will overdo the safety protocols .

I am just saying we must be careful but let's not become so crazy and scared.Please, talk to a good doctor,you will feel much , much better and freer .

And guess what overdoing safety protocols will do? Make immunity lazy, causing more sickness and consequently deaths.

Exposure is the only way to overcome the virus. Combine that with an increased safety for people with risk factors and you'll build up group immunity with few deaths. Running away from it, hoping for a vaccine, will not be the solution. We don't even know if and when it will come into existence and if it will be safe. And even if it comes into existence and it'll be safe group immunity will be built already.

For my mental health I try to live as normal as possible. I only deviate from that if a measure is obliged or if my common sense tells me to. When this all will be over I don't want to be germophobic. I've lived in fear for a couples of years and I learnt fear has a tendency to self fulfill. That is: in the long term fear causes stress that causes a lower immunity.

Oh yes, a lot of skeletons will tumble out of the closet after this period is done.

My guess for the future: no, the world will not have ended. COVID-19 will be found, compared to the flu, equally deadly for healthy people and more deadly for people with a deficient immune system. Life will go on as usual. And believe me: that's a good thing! Revolution is never a good thing, evolution is.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 01:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I've lived in fear for a couples of years and I learnt fear has a tendency to self fulfill. That is: in the long term fear causes stress that causes a lower immunity.

I agree.Fear and stress make the body protect itself.If the body is in the protection mode, it won't grow.By growth I mean the need to create new cells.If the stress/ fear phase extends way too long, chances are cancer and other illnesses will start to appear.

This is scientific knowledge anyone can check out on the web,hence, the saying that laughter is a great medicine has a sound foundation and thus, taking the world and your life not so seriously is the best policy.

Having just the right and necessary arguments with your relatives is paramount.Peace of mind , my friends,peace of mind.Haters lack this and try to pour their discomfort onto you.

Yes, we need to be more careful from now on, as covid-19 will be living among us.Just take the necessary precautions and try not to become covid-19phobic. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 01:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:

And guess what overdoing safety protocols will do? Make immunity lazy, causing more sickness and consequently deaths.

Exposure is the only way to overcome the virus. Combine that with an increased safety for people with risk factors and you'll build up group immunity with few deaths. Running away from it, hoping for a vaccine, will not be the solution. We don't even know if and when it will come into existence and if it will be safe. And even if it comes into existence and it'll be safe group immunity will be built already.

For my mental health I try to live as normal as possible. I only deviate from that if a measure is obliged or if my common sense tells me to. When this all will be over I don't want to be germophobic. I've lived in fear for a couples of years and I learnt fear has a tendency to self fulfill. That is: in the long term fear causes stress that causes a lower immunity.

Oh yes, a lot of skeletons will tumble out of the closet after this period is done.

My guess for the future: no, the world will not have ended. COVID-19 will be found, compared to the flu, equally deadly for healthy people and more deadly for people with a deficient immune system. Life will go on as usual. And believe me: that's a good thing! Revolution is never a good thing, evolution is.

Given that the fatality rate for the virus is about 3% (as opposed to 0.5% for the common flu) I don't think ignoring it and promoting contact so people will "build up herd immunity" is a viable strategy. What's happened in Italy and New York demonstrate this - do nothing and your hospitals get overwhelmed. If you close things down and minimize contact then yes, the infections build up slower and stay around longer, since people get infected a lot more slowly, but it'd be more manageable infrastructure-wise. Sure, eventually a large number of people will get infected anyway, but if you delay WHEN they get infected it would help a great deal in dealing with it.

Back in February we didn't know what was going to happen, speculation along these lines might've been excusable, but now we know what could happen and what has happened.

I do agree that they're overdoing things in some places. Here they're making restaurants selling take-out food and food delivery stop at 8pm. They're making convenience stores and ATMs shut down at 8pm. They don't allow people to walk around in parks or go out running. I don't see the point to this, if you allow restaurants and food delivery and convenience stores to stay open longer, or even late at night, then there'd be fewer people around at any given time doing what they need to do.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 07:38 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
iskandar taib wrote:
Given that the fatality rate for the virus is about 3% (as opposed to 0.5% for the common flu) I don't think ignoring it and promoting contact so people will "build up herd immunity" is a viable strategy. What's happened in Italy and New York demonstrate this - do nothing and your hospitals get overwhelmed. If you close things down and minimize contact then yes, the infections build up slower and stay around longer, since people get infected a lot more slowly, but it'd be more manageable infrastructure-wise. Sure, eventually a large number of people will get infected anyway, but if you delay WHEN they get infected it would help a great deal in dealing with it.

Back in February we didn't know what was going to happen, speculation along these lines might've been excusable, but now we know what could happen and what has happened.

I do agree that they're overdoing things in some places. Here they're making restaurants selling take-out food and food delivery stop at 8pm. They're making convenience stores and ATMs shut down at 8pm. They don't allow people to walk around in parks or go out running. I don't see the point to this, if you allow restaurants and food delivery and convenience stores to stay open longer, or even late at night, then there'd be fewer people around at any given time doing what they need to do.

Iskandar

I advise you to look further into the mortality rate, because that is an important factor that is quite frankly unknown. There's a lot of discussion about it. Beyong the mainstream media, that is. It'd take too long to explain it all, but both the numerator - the amount of deaths - and the denominator - the amount of infected people - are up to debate.

I don't ignore the severity of the disease or the measures, but I don't go too far into it either. It's a balance. I reject both extremes: those who are disproportionally afraid and those who reject the measures. But, like you said, some measures are a matter of overdoing and can be ignored for that same reason. The latter is what I referred to as common sense.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 23:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

2 billions will be affected within a year. Stay calm.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 17:23 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Its been more than 4 months since the virus hit our country. Situation is becoming worst.

Praying that this pandemic will end soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next