OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: A 38mm PLASTIC ball?
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2021, 07:20 
Super User

Ok, let's meet right in the middle; a 39 mm plastic.
More spin and speed...
Also, feeling totally being agree with an aspect ratio changing. Best will be total aspect ratio freedom.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2021, 15:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This isn't going anywhere. :lol:

I mean, seriously. Do you want to go back to this?

I'd rather watch Harimoto or Ito or Joo any day.. the rallies are longer and more spectacular, they do a lot more with the ball than they did back then.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2021, 00:00 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Those no toss serves are pretty epic, LOL. I'd love to see what a frictionless anti like Scandal could do to one of the super spinny loops from back in the day with a 38 mm celluloid ball. The reversal would be insane.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2021, 08:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The only reason the no-toss serves seem remarkable is because there's a rule against doing them these days - if you visit here and go to clubs you'll find people in their 50s and 60s serving that way to this day because those serves were legal when they began playing 40 years ago. Those serves are relatively easy to deal with - it's the hidden serves that came into vogue 10 years later that were spectacular to play against, thought not to watch from a distance. You still see vestiges of them today, even though the rules say the contact point must be visible - that front-leg forward stance most people use dates back to that time, and still serves to hide a lot of the stroke before the contact point.

I guess, more to the point - the point. As you see in this video - they're short. Bang-bang it's over. Mainly due to the lack of the sort of control over the ball you can see today, especially against attacking balls. Anti? It was certainly already in use back then - there were some really dead and slick antis you can't get today, like Sriver Killer (why did Butterfly quit selling it?), quite a few top players used anti because it was near-impossible to return ultra-heavy Dell Sweeris-type slow loops without them. You could also use bare wood (some penholders would use the back side of their blade) - if you think ANY kind of rubber has reversal, you haven't tried playing against someone playing with bare wood (there's one person in our circle who does.. and has gotten quite good at it). Long pips had to wait another 5-10 years before it became widespread (from what I recall it first caught on among the women).

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 04 Feb 2021, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2021, 08:24 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Those no toss serves are pretty epic, LOL. I'd love to see what a frictionless anti like Scandal could do to one of the super spinny loops from back in the day with a 38 mm celluloid ball. The reversal would be insane.

Sure.
In 1980-81, I was playing with Butterfly Tempest OX short pimple and OX long pimple called Mr. Argus Spin on a Butterfly Blade called French Style and have been in the national team camp.
That long pimple was something in between Grass Dtecs and Superblock, with longer pimples and with minimum friction. Never met anybody who looped 6 times in a row against.
As anti, remembering Sriver Killer, Nittaku Best Anti and after, Butterfly Super Anti. They were, specially Sriver Killer was quite ''deceptive'' but out of factory, none of that antis were frictionless that days.
Today, to me, it feels the playing quality of even the best 40 mm. is 2nd. even 3rd. class.
38s, Nittakus and Barnas were great!
And looking forward for 39 mm. plastic balls if not 38. It'll be amazing with todays game and equipments and with aspect ratio and friction freedom. 8)

Last edited by deva sarjan on 06 Feb 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 16:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I vote for 38mm ball, old aspect ratio, and no minimum friction for pips.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2021, 17:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Regarding styles, I liked this excerpt from an article by Jack Carrington. Nowadays at the top they play one style. HB days had diversity and 38mm ball.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.21 AM.png [ 339.43 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.50 AM.png [ 513.07 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 03:06 

38 mm would be nice.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 03:14 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

iskandar taib wrote:
This isn't going anywhere. :lol:

I mean, seriously. Do you want to go back to this?

I'd rather watch Harimoto or Ito or Joo any day.. the rallies are longer and more spectacular, they do a lot more with the ball than they did back then.

Iskandar

Actually, I don't mind going back in time. :)
Maybe to the 1980-90's. More player styles, shakehand / penhold, inverted / pips...
I would vote for 38 mm ball.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2021, 23:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Any new rule in favour of defensive play is far-fetched.The intentions have been made already.We can only dream for the time being.
When there are a new group of free thinking executives,then , we can start seeing more sensible rules for any style .

I do agree with mynamenotbob's observations

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2021, 11:47 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

charmander defender wrote:
Any new rule in favour of defensive play is far-fetched.The intentions have been made already.We can only dream for the time being.
When there are a new group of free thinking executives,then , we can start seeing more sensible rules for any style .

The ITTF has had a culture of hating defenders from the beginning. Their first president Ivor Montegu, who ran the operation for 40 years, is on the record saying defenders have weak minds and are cowardly. F that guy.

Read pages 12 and 13.
https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/etta_w ... sue144.pdf

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2021, 02:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
charmander defender wrote:

The ITTF has had a culture of hating defenders from the beginning. Their first president Ivor Montegu, who ran the operation for 40 years, is on the record saying defenders have weak minds and are cowardly. F that guy.

Read pages 12 and 13.
https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/etta_w ... sue144.pdf

Ivor Montegu clearly hates defenders.His theory is based on just expecting errors from the opponent.He indirectly insults all the clever defensive players ; be them amateurs or professionals.There is a strategy called counterattack,which he does not explain fully.

Weak mind? A weak mind is the attacker who falls into the trap and cannot beat a defensive style. Defenders do not always win just by pure defense,especially now with the plastic ball and the restrictions on pips .

His voice sounds like the voice of wisdom , dyed with hatred . Winning is just imposing your game over the opponent. Winning is not just attacking .

Why not value the fact that you can play with 2 different rubbers, be them pips or anti + inverted , for example ?. I see no weak minds here but very intelligent players and above all, lots of training sessions to master 2 different rubbers .

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2021, 00:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I would never have said that the Chopper in this video has a weak mind or lacks intelligence .Hence, Mr Ivor Montegu's observations are COMPLETELY WRONG !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFxgQFMVMI

especially, check it out at 14:58 ..... a defender's dream point :) :) :)