OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 21:21 

Hey Guys,

So my opponent gets in the ready position with the ball flat on palm and then just waits for a really long time before the toss up and then when I get visibly distracted he suddenly serves.

What is the rule regarding to stop this behaviour? Is there a rule which says that once you get in ready position then you have to toss in xyz number of seconds?

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 13:03 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
No, just that play should be continuous.

How long is "forever"?

Are you in an umpired match, or just scoring between yourselves, or another player scoring / umpiring?

An umpire should pick up that there is a long time and that the server serves the moment the receiver gets distracted or loses concentration.

That said, there are a lot of players that will serve too quickly before the receiver is ready. That is easier in some ways to deal with.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 21:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Rising your free hand would help.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 21:50 

Thanks guys.

So long here is like after taking position he takes 3-4 seconds and then serves in that time I visibly break concentration.

What is the exact rule in the TT rule book regarding this?

Thanks

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 00:36 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I hate to say it, but this one's on you! 3-4 seconds is not excessively long and is not likely to be called by a judge.

Why not flip the script and be grateful for the opportunity to clear your mind and focus before the point begins? "Quiet eye" training is actually a scientifically validated way to help prevent choking under pressure. I like to incorporate this as a visualization exercise while meditating, but you can even practice with a ball sitting on a table in front of you. Work until you can focus clearly and intensely for 5-10 seconds at a time.

Then, instead of being annoyed and losing focus, you can use it to your advantage!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 21:56 

Ok, is 10 seconds after taking position long enough?

Again - what is the rule regarding this? there must be some mention in the service rules about such inordinate delays.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 08:26 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Jack_2020 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, is 10 seconds after taking position long enough?

Again - what is the rule regarding this? there must be some mention in the service rules about such inordinate delays.

No, just that play should be continuous. It may however come under "ungentlemanly conduct", where a player is doing something to unsettle the opponent - apart from hitting good shots of course. Obviously after a strenuous point and towards the end of matches more time should be allowed.

I officially umpired a match where I penalised a player for taking too long to serve. He then told me that he was "only doing back to the other player what the other player was doing to him". I still penalised him as I had not noticed the other player being really slow to serve.

I also umpired a match where, similar to Djokovic used to in tennis, the tighter the match was the more times a player bounced the ball on his bat before serving. I took note of the number of times he bounced the ball at the beginning of the match and when he exceeded this, with a reserve, penalised him.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 11:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
But there should be a general rule as a basis ( how many seconds ). I think it is covered in umpires hand book. I am no longer familiar since I seldom umpire anymore in an official match.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 21:27 

Thanks guys!
I think the general idea is that the play should be "continuous" and no deliberate unsettling of the opponent.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 02:37 

Blade: Avalox Blue Thunder 555
FH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
BH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
I'm probably guilty of spending 3-4 seconds for a serve. I do it to calm myself down. 1-2 deep breaths maybe. But mostly or half the time I only take 1 deep breath. 1 deep breath probably takes 2 seconds I think. I definetly take 2 of them when I want to break the opponents flow a little if he's on a roll. In combination with doing a serve variation maybe. But I think that might be a very common tactic?

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2020, 10:18 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Yes Jonas that is one good tactic.

On the other side, there are those who cannot wait to serve. Works also. :lol: