OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Aliexpress VAT charge?
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 23:25 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
It appears that AliExpress is now adding 20% tax to orders to the UK. I am not absolutely sure of this, as it has been a while since I ordered anything from there, and it may be that they used to include it in the stated price.

On the other hand, TT11 now shows us the price without VAT.

So I expect that this is to do with Brexit, but I am confused if this affects Chinese purchases. I haven't the patience to trawl through the paperwork. I have ordered a small item from Ali to check whether it will now be subject to any other charges when it gets here. Haven't tried TT11 yet, because they are still more expensive and have a minimum order value to qualify for free delivery.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 02:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Yes, it does have to do with Brexit.As far as ALI is concerned,China has an agreement with the European Union .GB is out , you have to face the drawbacks.It is REALLY important to emphasize that very many voters pro Brexit are dead already, meaning those who were against have to deal with the ugly disadvantages.Time will tell if Brexit is more beneficial to GB .

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 15:24 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
In Romania we pay the VAT & the custom fees on the local international postal office, if the order is above >10 USD.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 02:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Isn't there some minimum amount below which you don't need to pay VAT? It's like that here, and like that in Singapore - in Singapore the floor value is, IIRC, something like USD100.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 04:12 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
charmander defender wrote:
Yes, it does have to do with Brexit.As far as ALI is concerned,China has an agreement with the European Union .GB is out , you have to face the drawbacks.It is REALLY important to emphasize that very many voters pro Brexit are dead already, meaning those who were against have to deal with the ugly disadvantages.Time will tell if Brexit is more beneficial to GB .
There's no special deal/agreement between aliexpress and the EU, you simply won't pay VAT when you order on aliexpress because there's no VAT in China, the VAT is to be paid to the customs, if it's the case, as for the other EU consumers.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 07:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I am not going to start an argument about who is right . According to this article : https://www.adslzone.net/2020/02/20/iva ... a-2021/,it seems the VAT to be paid depended on the amount of money at stake .The agreement was on the amount of money free from tax.

From 2021 on , it appears VAT has to be paid whatever amount of money.

To translate the article into English I suggest : https://www.deepl.com/translator

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 00:09 
Super User

To be clear about the VAT for UK buyers, if you look at prices on Ali, it still shows them without tax. When you go to checkout, there is a separate section of the invoice, where tax is added at 20%, which is the UK Vat rate. So an item shown as costing £10 will have £2 added, making the actual cost £12. There is no exemption, whether for low priced items or other reasons, as far as I can see. This is similar to buying from Amazon.com in the US, where the bill will add-on as follows from a random item shown as costing "$28.79" "Total cost: $37.62 including Shipping & Estimated Import Fees Deposit to United Kingdom". My underline.

On TT11, the marked price pre-Brexit showed the cost including tax, but broke down the invoice to show the amount of tax (still the same price paid). This I believe would have been 19% VAT in that country but I could be wrong. Close enough to the UK 20%. Now, they show the VAT-free price, and the tax box shows 0 on the invoice. Any taxes, if they are applicable (there is a table somewhere on HMRC site which shows the value allowed and tax levied), would be charged at arrival in the UK. I suspect that in practice this would happen on DHL deliveries more than on Royal Mail, but doubt there is an official policy difference.

(edit: Aliexpress is now showing prices including the tax, but the prices are higher to reflect this. My N80 rubber cost me £12 plus 20%, so £15. It's now showing as costing £15.47)

Last edited by darucla on 13 Jan 2021, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 11:51 

Blade: xiom hinoki s7
FH: dms firestorm
I'm from philippines, I did check my aliexpress apps and I can see no vat is added upon checkout, it might be certain country's applies on that vat, except that shipping fee $17 on every item sold on aliexpress, last 2019 there's no shipping fee on aliexpress when you choose mail shipping, I haven't order from them since that $17 shipping fee is implemented.

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 05:08 
Super User

I received my order from China today, so pretty quick, and there was no other issue with customs etc. So, no extra charges via Royal mail, on a £15 item, which is as I would expect. Now just need to think about what to do with a Loki N80 rubber.