OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Coming back to comp...
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 13:14 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Yo guys...

Been a while since I posted because I hadn't been into it like I was 10 years ago.

Am hoping to get back into competition again hopefully (lots of hopes!)

Lots of EJing on the rubbers to work out where I am at and not buy tenergy again $$$ and I feel satisfied with boosted hurricane 3 2 8 for backhand which is my strongest side when my eyes don't deceive me where the ball is.

My Forehand mechanics have evaporated though. It's almost back to 100% for everything but doing the general forehand counter loop or drive, winner shot with a loop or smash. It's like I miss it super unco fashion unflattering and tend to avoid even trying to do the shot I know I should and could in the past.

I have been in this situation before. Obviously, when I first started playing, my FH was always weak. Also when I stopped and then started again but tried to change to Chinese... dam that took a long time to recover from till I returned to a tenergy FH with lots of practise. Back at this crossroad, I know that T05 was the best rubber that suited me (for me it was controlled because it helped play that deficit more easily) not that equipment ever ever solves anything much...

I believe in training.

I am at that point though I have to either buy a robot or turn to something more passive like LP to speed up this recovery on FH. I know it's unorthodox but this OOAK.

I have played a twiddle game pretty well in past. Not the best solution when I have been at a confident two wing looping level though...

What I do like about the LP nowish is that I can a topspin rally back to the backspin or slower stage allowing me to go for another of my strongest topspin loops with the backhand. Not a final solution, just something I am considering... during this time if I can settle on it LP I can still practise my FH when not in must win zone. It'd be a slower catchup but I am not here to win the Brisbane Gold medals.

Option 2 is just buy a sheet of 05 for my FH and not give up this long unfruitful couple of months trying to return. In this time I have ripped muscles trying to do the FH stroke poorly and had to stop playing for a month how I believe I want to.

There is one shot with LP that I most hate having LP for. And that is blocking a fast drive/loop. Inverted rubber can bring the ball down with a block properly angled where as LP just doesn't have the topspin to do it.

I know one option is to go to the slowest bla bla to increase that situation, but that is not an option for my attacking game. I think a better option is actually using sponge on the LP to avoid sending back so much backspin when the ball is fast. At best a no spin ball results but has more chance at landing at the high speeds.

Options....

Hope you are all well.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2021, 17:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think you're going to enjoy trying LPs Boz, because it will give you something different and new potential strategies to wins games.

I also played double inverted for many many years, and just got bored over time, as I didn't have the time to put in the practice I needed, so the juniors (that have the time to train) would just fly past you. LPs give you something different... new strategies and things to try. Many juniors (or their coaches) also ask me for practice against LPs, as this is hard to come by. I enjoy that side of things too.

BTW I played at your club quite a while ago when you were still playing... but was told you were away at the time... would have loved to have a hit with you. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2022, 19:57 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Hey thanks Hagisv,

yup and I can't find or don't know if I can get email notifications to posts I've posted in. ?

I lasted about 3 months with LP (mind you I had no arm-related injuries during that time) but kind of came to the conclusion that I can defend better with inverted...

I know for me the best defending setup is the Primorac carbon with evolution mx something because I can pretty passively return shots back from the table. But then I keep going on this holly grail cycle of searching for the best combination to counter loop topspin.

:headbang:

Ah the fun. Hoping to get back into it seriously in 2023 fresh from the start.

Planets are aligning for me to get free time away from fam.