OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 16:08 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Hi gang. Our league/club is looking for a free, or reasonably priced system that can keep up with players records, ratings, won-loss records, and I.e. Extremely frustrating as we prepare to start our league back and the USATT has blocked a free service that promotes the sport unless players are willing to fork over $25 each. I’m sure many of you know what I’m referring to. Thanks

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 13:11 

Sardius wrote:
Hi gang. Our league/club is looking for a free, or reasonably priced system that can keep up with players records, ratings, won-loss records, and I.e. Extremely frustrating as we prepare to start our league back and the USATT has blocked a free service that promotes the sport unless players are willing to fork over $25 each. I’m sure many of you know what I’m referring to. Thanks

The Spttc club in Washington uses the Usatt league system and only one (this person complains about everything usatt in general) has complained about having to be a usatt member to play in the league. My thinking is if someone is going to whine about having to pay 25.00 or about .07 a day while drinking their 10.00 coffee in one hand and their 300.00 paddle in the other hand they are just cheap in general. Our league fills up in about 3 hours after registration opens and I on average have to turn away 5-10 people every Saturday as we almost always reach the 40-46 player limit

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 22:04 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Vince64 wrote:
Sardius wrote:

The Spttc club in Washington uses the Usatt league system and only one (this person complains about everything usatt in general) has complained about having to be a usatt member to play in the league. My thinking is if someone is going to whine about having to pay 25.00 or about .07 a day while drinking their 10.00 coffee in one hand and their 300.00 paddle in the other hand they are just cheap in general. Our league fills up in about 3 hours after registration opens and I on average have to turn away 5-10 people every Saturday as we almost always reach the 40-46 player limit

I disagree. Patronizing an organization that decided to hold ratings hostage for a fee is nonsense. Doesn't matter if it's 25 bucks, it's the principle of the matter. That, and USATT Leadership is comprised the biggest group of incompetent yahoos, particularly Virginia Sung. I chose to not pay the $ when I'm not competing and when I have to play a tournament I begrudgingly hand over the money.

To the OP, unfortunately, other than ratings central there are not many good options that doesn't require a lot of labor and data engry.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2022, 19:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Consider how much work and data entry is required to RUN the USATT system. The money has to come from somewhere, I suppose.

Any reason why you can't just used the ratings of the people who HAVE joined USATT, and then use last known ratings or estimated ratings for everyone else, since it's just a local league that doesn't have any impact on anyone's USATT rating? I suppose you could just keep track of everything in Excel if there aren't that many people involved. Yes, it's work, but it always will be work, canned software or no canned software. Pay some student to do it (oops, money involved...).

People complaining about USATT isn't new - I remember some MAGA+ level complaining back in the 1990s. Some really toxic personalities, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2022, 10:16 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Rating Central

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2022, 13:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't think Ratings Central is what they're looking for. They want something to run a league, not something to get rating off from or maintain ratings. A number of their players have known USATT ratings, either current or recent, and that can be used as a starting point to seed the league. Everyone else can be slotted in based on estimation (and can be re-arranged according to the results after a couple sessions). Up and coming players will need adjustment over time, but they're the kind of player which usually attend tournaments, in any case.

Iskandar