OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 10:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2022, 23:59 

Hello,
Have been playing at local sports centre for around 6 weeks now and we are all beginners ( about 12 of us). Really enjoying it but was wondering what is the best affordable footwear as my present trainers do not have grip and the first week I slipped a few times so was told to do it in my bare feet to be safe.
Anyway being a student I cannot afford anything too expensive and will have to wait till end of the month and hopefully get more hours in my part time job before I get any new ones. We play twice a week so I have had to go in bare feet as they don't allow other shoes or even socks. I also really fancy a new table tennis bat as we hire at the moment and a few others have got there own bats now. Is it best to get new trainers or a new bat to start with as cannot afford both at the moment. I have got decent shorts and top lol so all is not bad.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 05:44 

debbie wrote:
Hello,
Have been playing at local sports centre for around 6 weeks now and we are all beginners ( about 12 of us). Really enjoying it but was wondering what is the best affordable footwear as my present trainers do not have grip and the first week I slipped a few times so was told to do it in my bare feet to be safe.
Anyway being a student I cannot afford anything too expensive and will have to wait till end of the month and hopefully get more hours in my part time job before I get any new ones. We play twice a week so I have had to go in bare feet as they don't allow other shoes or even socks. I also really fancy a new table tennis bat as we hire at the moment and a few others have got there own bats now. Is it best to get new trainers or a new bat to start with as cannot afford both at the moment. I have got decent shorts and top lol so all is not bad.

Your feet is 1000 times more important & higher priority than a racket.
What flooring you play on ?
What other sport you play ? If you play multiple sport, tabletennis shoes may not work in other sports & vice versa but badminton, volleyball or tennis shoes may work in tabletennis but don't quote me on this or sue me if you slip and fall again. I am not a sports doctor or a podiatrist

Assuming you are young, you need to feel the spin and need a racket with smooth spinny type rubber both sides to start with. You can switch later if your playing style dictates it but for an year or so this is the best for all young players.
But stay away from what is called hardbat or sandpaper as some players may try to confuse you recommending this. (These types of rackets are only for older players if any but even older players must be using different type rackets other than spinny smooth rubbers)

As far a racket, I strongly recommend NOT to buy expensive European or Japanese Rackets like Butterfly or Stiga as they are designed for the professional player and not for an amateur player, especially a beginner. Most amateurs buy them to look cool & fit in.. Also most of these European & Japanese rackets feel like dead rubbers with no spin (known as anti spin) in the hands of even an intermediate player, let alone a beginner like you. Many players will also try to confuse you by calling them "grippy" rubbers, which is a lie. Butterfly & Stiga are the gold standards but the only reason I see a beginner or even an intermediate amateur owning them is just a status symbol (with a beautiful looking carrying box which probably costs more than a beginners racket LOL)

The best value for your money are Chinese rackets which give more spin. Spin is like an addictive drug & this is what differentiates tabletennis from other racket sports & you need a lot of this. You can buy inexpensive Chinese rackets even for $20.

IMO you may not even need to buy a racket honestly (& use what they give you at the club, as long as they are smooth spinny inverted rubbers both sides) , but the ONLY reason I would recommend buy one of your own is because you want to have the exact same racket every time you play, since tabletennis is a very precise sport

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 20:39 

Kanewars wrote:
debbie wrote:
Hello,

Your feet is 1000 times more important & higher priority than a racket.
What flooring you play on ?
What other sport you play ? If you play multiple sport, tabletennis shoes may not work in other sports & vice versa but badminton, volleyball or tennis shoes may work in tabletennis but don't quote me on this or sue me if you slip and fall again. I am not a sports doctor or a podiatrist

Assuming you are young, you need to feel the spin and need a racket with smooth spinny type rubber both sides to start with. You can switch later if your playing style dictates it but for an year or so this is the best for all young players.
But stay away from what is called hardbat or sandpaper as some players may try to confuse you recommending this. (These types of rackets are only for older players if any but even older players must be using different type rackets other than spinny smooth rubbers)

As far a racket, I strongly recommend NOT to buy expensive European or Japanese Rackets like Butterfly or Stiga as they are designed for the professional player and not for an amateur player, especially a beginner. Most amateurs buy them to look cool & fit in.. Also most of these European & Japanese rackets feel like dead rubbers with no spin (known as anti spin) in the hands of even an intermediate player, let alone a beginner like you. Many players will also try to confuse you by calling them "grippy" rubbers, which is a lie. Butterfly & Stiga are the gold standards but the only reason I see a beginner or even an intermediate amateur owning them is just a status symbol (with a beautiful looking carrying box which probably costs more than a beginners racket LOL)

The best value for your money are Chinese rackets which give more spin. Spin is like an addictive drug & this is what differentiates tabletennis from other racket sports & you need a lot of this. You can buy inexpensive Chinese rackets even for $20.

IMO you may not even need to buy a racket honestly (& use what they give you at the club, as long as they are smooth spinny inverted rubbers both sides) , but the ONLY reason I would recommend buy one of your own is because you want to have the exact same racket every time you play, since tabletennis is a very precise sport