OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 10:39 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
dazzler wrote:
Warm up usually consists of topspin exchange which wouldn't go well with the ox pips,I can exchange better with the smooth rubber for this

What if the other person asks for a hit with your pips? Do you say no? Why?

I've had requests for warmup chops.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 12:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If they ask I would do it, because it's just as much an opportunity for them to get used to the pips, as it is for you to get the feel of chopping his loops. Warmups are so different to real play anyway, I doubt it would offer much of an advantage.

I agree with others that it's not an obligation though... it's just a warm up, which has nothing to do with equipment.

PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 21:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
This may have been asked already but are there any rules against your racket touching the net assembly whether it is in your hand or not? Can your racket or you touch the net without your losing the point? Probably a rare situation.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 01:03 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
When I didn't play with pips yet I always wanted a few shots with the pips or anti rubber.
I never ask what someone is using .... I don't care .. I notice during play. But I would ask a few LP or anti hits. Short Pips always use there pips while warming up.

Now I use LP myself ..... I with normal rubber play ... FH, BH .. and then after a few hits I chopblock with pips ......

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 01:04 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
NextLevel wrote:
This may have been asked already but are there any rules against your racket touching the net assembly whether it is in your hand or not? Can your racket or you touch the net without your losing the point? Probably a rare situation.

You are not allowed to touch the net at anyway (other then bal)

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 02:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
jazzcomp wrote:
dazzler wrote:
Warm up usually consists of topspin exchange which wouldn't go well with the ox pips,I can exchange better with the smooth rubber for this

No one has ever asked,I've had comments about keeping away from the pips in the warm ups ,probaby wouldn't if asked I like to keep the surprise element at the beginning of the match

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 04:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Retriever wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:
Quote:
In doubles, how can an umpire call correctly a wrong side serve when he cannot see if the ball landed on the line or not?

This is almost always a point of argument when the server says it's in and both opponents says it's not.

If the umpire is doing their job, they should be standing up to umpire doubles, as this gives a lot better view of the doubles line. If it is another player being the "umpire" then they often won't though. Quite often the server's partner will acknowledge that a serve is the wrong side. What to do if both sides are super competitive (win at all costs)? If there is strong disagreement the umpire may end up calling a let - this is not a satisfactory outcome for the truthful player though.

Can he appoint a "linesman"? :lol: I suppose if there's an assistant ump he/she could stand behind the servers and then get quickly out of the way. You'd only do this for the really contentious matches (like what is described above).

It amazes me how many on-court officials are needed for tennis... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 04:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dazzler wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:
dazzler wrote:

No one has ever asked,I've had comments about keeping away from the pips in the warm ups ,probaby wouldn't if asked I like to keep the surprise element at the beginning of the match

If asked for a warm-up chop, I'd give one or two and that would be it. I suppose it works both ways, too - while you don't want to "give anything away" it might be beneficial for you as well to warm up your own chop. No need to give anything other than a bread-and-butter chop to the far corner, though. Perhaps a chop or two with the inverted side would also be good.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 08:22 

Next time, I'll just kill the ball on warmups against funny rubbers. :D Since they won't use their funny rubber anyway, I won't warmup his forehand and just deliberately hit everything to his backhand.

Goes both ways :D

They can keep the element of surprise. I'll try to surprise them too.

Last edited by jazzcomp on 20 May 2019, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 08:52 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

lol Jazzcomp, you just ignored everyone?

Most pip players don't warm up with their pips because their opponent CAN'T warm up against them. if you're having a 2 minute warm up, the idea is to get your strokes warmed up, regardless of rubber being used. If anyone wants to hit against my pips they're welcome to but its certainly not going to help them warm up in 2 minutes, so I just twiddle to smooth.

IMHO, of course - anyone that whinges ought to just suck it up.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 13:07 

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
lol Jazzcomp, you just ignored everyone?
Most pip players don't warm up with their pips because their opponent CAN'T warm up against them. if you're having a 2 minute warm up, the idea is to get your strokes warmed up, regardless of rubber being used. If anyone wants to hit against my pips they're welcome to but its certainly not going to help them warm up in 2 minutes, so I just twiddle to smooth.

IMHO, of course - anyone that whinges ought to just suck it up.

No, I actually listened. Most LP and anti won't use their rubbers to warmup. It provides the element of surprise.
SP uses theirs in warmup.

It's not really for their opponent, it's for their benefit. Lol. If it's for the opponent, they can always warmup against others :)
I like warming up against LP/anti. But that's me.

Lets just get rid of the warmup. :) LP/Anti do not need to warmup. Inv rubbers do not need them as well. :rofl:

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 15:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

jazzcomp wrote:
Next time, I'll just kill the ball on warmups against funny rubbers. :D Since they won't use their funny rubber anyway, I won't warmup his forehand and just deliberately hit everything to his backhand.

Goes both ways :D

They can keep the element of surprise. I'll try to surprise them too.

Good grief. Chip on the shoulder, eh?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 22:45 

iskandar taib wrote:
Iskandar

I'm a friendly player in real life. :) I play to have fun, improve and be competitive. I'm actually learning SP so I can use something against LP and anti players.

I feel like I need to bring some aggression to my game to win more frequently. :)

If players don't want you to have a feel for their LP/anti (some don't even disclose it), then I can also pretend not to to know how to return warmup balls. :)

Kids are now using LP. I don't know if this is the trend now. Guess I need to vent since losing the last 3 comps to LP players.

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 02:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Naah, it's not kids playing with long pips. It's usually old geezers... :lol: In my playing group (mainly geezers) there's only a couple of us double inverted players left - everyone else has moved to OX long pips. One even plays with bare wood (old penholder style..). Needless to say, everyone knows how to play against long pips by now.

In any case.. warm up is for warm up. It's not for getting a feel for someone's rubbers - you are allowed to look in any case, beforehand. If you want them to chop you a couple (so you can warm up your loop against backspin) I'm sure most would accommodate the request, but resorting to mind games during warm up is petty. Save it for the game. If long pips give you trouble, then it's your responsibility to fix that problem before the game.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 May 2019, 07:34 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

jazzcomp wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Iskandar

I'm a friendly player in real life. :) I play to have fun, improve and be competitive. I'm actually learning SP so I can use something against LP and anti players.

I feel like I need to bring some aggression to my game to win more frequently. :)

If players don't want you to have a feel for their LP/anti (some don't even disclose it), then I can also pretend not to to know how to return warmup balls. :)

Kids are now using LP. I don't know if this is the trend now. Guess I need to vent since losing the last 3 comps to LP players.

The kids I coach that use LP learn how to use it properly, with technique - so if you can't win, you probably need to get stuck into what they're doing; which is practicing like mad :-)

Honestly warming up for 2 mins against a rubber when you haven't done the training is not going to help mate. just go out and practice and play with people with "funny" rubbers - it takes time but you'll get there.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next