OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 05:23 

Saw that there is a dedicated area for robots:

I was browsing kickstarter and saw that JOOLA has a table tennis robot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joola/joola-infinity

There was also a lot of hype about Trainerbot, but it seems that it still hasn't launched and backers are upset: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trainerbot

I think the JOOLA robot has the same functionality as the Newgy 3050 and about half the price. Would it be worth it to pre-order one?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 07:36 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I just saw this too. I'm actually pretty tempted. I'm already looking for a low cost one at first, as I'm building a house that will have a table tennis room in it, but I won't have a lot of money for a robot initially. Long term I am hoping to get a nicer robot. I was already thinking of getting an iPong Trainer Motion as my first robot, so the level that includes one of those was really interesting to me. At that price, if they are able to pull it off, this could be a steal.
Alpha, did you end up going in on this?

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 22:53 

I'm still 50/50 right now, I've been reading the comments on the trainerbot indiegogo page and will wait to see what JOOLA says about the questions they have.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 03:32 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I decided to get in on it. I was going to get an iPong Pro Trainer as my initial basic robot anyway. If it works out, $450 for a high level robot that works off an app is a steal. I can splurge a little more on my table. :)

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 05:25 

Just saw their update, now I am really tempted to get it now. Gonna wait till my next paycheck to buy the lowest tier one.

Is there a difference between the iPong trainer and trainer motion?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 08:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
As a former robot owner who has spent hundreds of hours doing robot training, I can attest that this robot's specs look enticing. But don't be tempted to purchase one without a catch net (assuming it's even offered in that configuration).

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 22:06 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

It looks like there is a catch net and recycling system included with the Infinity Robot.
Most of the iPongs don't go from side to side...that's why I like the idea of the Trainer Motion as a basic one, it can at least change location.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 11:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This chart is quite useful:

I'm a bit confused by who's actually making this robot. They call it a Joola robot, it's made by the makers of Ipong, yet it's on kickstarter? Sure if it's a Joola robot (or Ipong), they can fund the development themselves, instead of asking customers for money?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 13:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Dec 2020 availability date.. in my industry that's called Vaporware!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 15:08 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Why wait. Just get a tennirobo. It is just as good or better than the more expensive robots costing thousands and is controlled by app. The disadvantage is that it does not come with a catcher net. I do not find this a big issue as I need a rest after 200 balls and a good fishing wire ball picker picker upper is pretty fast. I can move the robot to anywhere behind the table easily too.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019, 21:40 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I was wondering the same thing about the relationship between iPong and Joola. I don't think that iPong is a part of Joola, but they have a strong relationship. When I look at the iPong website, it says that Joola is the distributor for iPong in Europe, Brazil and North America. And that Joola North America also distributes to territories other than China, Korea and Japan: http://www.ipong.net/joomla/index.php/distributors

So I assume there is some sort of business arrangement, because to me it appears that iPong is making the Infinity Robot for Joola to brand and distribute.

As to why they can't fund it themselves...who knows. Maybe it's a great way to create brand awareness and market that this product is on its way. It's also a nice way to help offset costs. Or maybe the project has already hit cost overruns and they're trying to help offset those.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 17:27 

Blade: Power G.13
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
dwruck wrote:
I was wondering the same thing about the relationship between iPong and Joola. I don't think that iPong is a part of Joola, but they have a strong relationship. When I look at the iPong website, it says that Joola is the distributor for iPong in Europe, Brazil and North America. And that Joola North America also distributes to territories other than China, Korea and Japan: http://www.ipong.net/joomla/index.php/distributors

So I assume there is some sort of business arrangement, because to me it appears that iPong is making the Infinity Robot for Joola to brand and distribute.

As to why they can't fund it themselves...who knows. Maybe it's a great way to create brand awareness and market that this product is on its way. It's also a nice way to help offset costs. Or maybe the project has already hit cost overruns and they're trying to help offset those.

Joola and iPong are owned by the same parent company sport-squad.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tenni ... ennis-GmbH

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2019, 11:20 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
haggisv wrote:
I'm a bit confused by who's actually making this robot. They call it a Joola robot, it's made by the makers of Ipong, yet it's on kickstarter? Sure if it's a Joola robot (or Ipong), they can fund the development themselves, instead of asking customers for money?

I agree and am pretty sure they could fund the robot internally. Specially considering that it was prototyped in 2015. They are just following the trend of fully functioning and capable companies crowd funding their products.

This does look like a good robot, I wonder if the recent push for app managed robots will prompt a wave of new designs across the board. Apps are relatively cheap to develop, I guess the trick is getting the robot to integrate and operate fully with them.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 22:23 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

It's been a while since this thread was active, but now that I've had my JOOLA Infinity robot for a while I thought I'd update. So far I am VERY happy with the quality of the robot and the app. While it's not perfect, it offers the functionality of a $2,000 robot for 1/3 of the cost. It seems to be a high quality build, so I'm hoping I will have this for many years to come.
The area it still needs work is on the calibration of the location. Often when I try to set a location for a shot on the app, the ball comes deeper and more to the left than it should. I've managed that so far by using their micro-adjustment tool and setting the ball location as "shorter" and that has taken care of the "too long" issue.
On the plus side, other than the outstanding value, it's easy to set up, very easy to set up custom drills in the app, and can generate some nice pace and spin. It comes pre-loaded with a number of drills, but I haven't used them yet. Instead, I've set up some basic warm-up type drills, multiball drills, and drills that my coach uses in training sessions.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2021, 22:21 

Hi. I’m choosing a robot right now and have some doubts about Amicus and Robo Pong. However, there is Joomla Infinity, as it turns out. But no exact info on it, neither in terms of settings nor when it goes on sale. Could you please help me? At least with spec
What is Joomla’s weight? Can I put it in a regular backpack and take it home from the gym?
Does it have some kind of built-in memory so that students can use it as is, without an app?
And last but not least, how is the power of the shot regulated? For example, the Amicus has 25 speeds.

Not sure if I will get an answer here anytime soon. Anyway, thanks for the discussion and helpful information. I wish you all success!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!