OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 17:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ozzie Rooster wrote:
Hi haggisv,
this suggestion may be coming to you a little late, on masatennisi.com there are two very good articles on treating injuries, 1)Elbow, 2)Shoulder, showing diagrams of the joints in both cases and lengthy explanations enabling you to be involved in extensive excercises for a long term rehab and cure.... best of luck....

Ozzie Rooster....

THanks Ozzie Rooster. Not too late at all, as I'm still having problems and it seems to be getting worse instead of better :( :( :( Can you give me a direct to the article... I don't seem to be able to find it. :oops:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 01:18 
Super User

Before the chinese needles and pins stuff, take a long, long, long rest! I'll bet my pay stub (stub only ;) )

(Although, shiatsu message is probably what I would go for , for $70 seesion, and it does wonders although never tried it for tennis elbow).

When I was playing everyday, either at the club or way into the night vs robot it led to the arm brace thing which was annoying. Now after reducing the amount of play time and using pushblocking techniques, and newer mental training procedures ie training with out a ball, bat and table... nomore problems.

REST REST REST, thats what the doctor calls for (I'm no doctor by the way)

sincerely timeoue

good luck haggisv!

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 01:36 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
Well, I'm not making much progress. I tried an electro therapy device a few times, but didn't see any improvement. I've been using ultrasound therapy daily for about 5 days, and it seems to feel good, but no major improvement. At night I'm wearing a wrist splint, which I don't like, as well as putting the arm in a sling to keep from stretching it out. At least I'm no longer waking up from pain at night. I've been wearing both a strap brace and hinged brace when playing, but backhands still hurt, and chopping on backhand hurts real bad. Next, I will either stop playing completely or only hit forehand. I'm now down to playing twice a week, structured drill practice only.

This sure isn't any fun.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 09:54 
Super User

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
Well, I'm not making much progress. I tried an electro therapy device a few times, but didn't see any improvement. I've been using ultrasound therapy daily for about 5 days, and it seems to feel good, but no major improvement. At night I'm wearing a wrist splint, which I don't like, as well as putting the arm in a sling to keep from stretching it out. At least I'm no longer waking up from pain at night. I've been wearing both a strap brace and hinged brace when playing, but backhands still hurt, and chopping on backhand hurts real bad. Next, I will either stop playing completely or only hit forehand. I'm now down to playing twice a week, structured drill practice only.

This sure isn't any fun.

Hope you heal quickly and all the best OMSP!

Thanks for your help with the epoxy tips... works like a charm. Much obliged sir.

(I sub a tooth pick for the popsicle stick and even though the 5 min stuff dries fast, I reapply, layer ontop of layer. There's no need for edge tape now except for cosmetic reasons or to hold down a flappy oxlp.)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 00:02 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
Ok, elbow finally improving, so I will try to describe what I think worked for me. Please note I am not a Dr and I am certainly not giving anyone any medical advice and I'm only relating what worked for me, so someone else finding this might at least avoid some of the mistakes I made that caused and prolonged the problems. I did go to a good MD and he suggested the Rest, Aleve, Brace, Wrist Splint and Excercises. The rest of the ideas I dug up researching myself or from friends.

I have the tendon problem (Tennis Elbow) as well as a hyperextended elbow http://www.ehow.com/about_5201107_elbow ... tment.html , so was getting some pain on all backhands as well as severe pain on deep swings as arm neared full extension. The hyperextension was caused I think from changing how I chopped to get more backspin. The moral of that story is when you find a way to get the max out of something, don't use it all the time, just when you really need it and vary the stoke to keep the opponent guessing, instead.

Anyway, what it took to fix it was to stop using the arm completely for a couple weeks, literally putting it in a sling so I wouldn't use it, wearing a wrist splint at night and taking 2 aleve twice a day. I am eating a high protein diet with 100+ grams per day, and taking 40,000 units serrapeptase a day. I am also taking a heavy duty multivitamin, calcium/magnesium, glucosamine/chondrotin/msm, fish oil, vit c and vit e. In addition, I have been using things like tiger balm ultra http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Of-Peace-T ... tiger+balm and white flower oil http://www.amazon.com/White-Flower-Oil- ... flower+oil , and massaging it by hand a lot to rub in the oil and with a heated massager http://www.qvc.com/.product.V80185.html , and also doing ultrasound therapy http://www.otcwholesale.com/reliamed-05380.html a couple times a day for 5 min on medium setting using the white flower oil as a conductor, and then massaging and keeping icy/hot arthritis on it afterwards.

No exercise or use at all until it doesn't hurt or burn. Try stretches and exercises http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971639/ and http://www.livestrong.com/article/37798 ... ded-elbow/ without any weights. BTW, i bought yellow and red flexbars, but have heard you can twist a wet towel instead. My arm is so bad I can only do the yellow flexbar currently. I am also doing grip exercises with a ball. Anyway, if there is burning or pain with no weights, its not healed yet. Trying to exercise before it healed just delayed progress and extended the amount of time in pain. Once its healed I started by doing the exercise with many repetitions (like 50 or 100 or until muscle is tired) with minimal weight, and then every day or odd days, increase weight a tad. I had to start with a water bottle with only 1 cup of water to start. I have dumbbells, but even the 2 lb one was too heavy for me to start with. The hardest exercises for me were lifting the hand palm down, and doing the windshield wiper motion with a dumbbell, so I adjusted the amount of water in the bottle to where I could do those both without burning or pain. I am now adding a teaspoon of water to the bottle each day or two trying to slowly strengthen it. After exercise I let it cool down, then ice it 15 min, then massage with white flower oil or tiger balm, then put icy/hot arthritis on it.

Once able to play, I put icy/hot arthritis on it and am wearing a hinged brace http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BB ... _img_sol_0 that keeps me from extending the elbow too far open, and then i am wearing a strap brace http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J0 ... _img_hst_2 over top of the hinged brace to reduce the pull on the tendon because it won't fit well under the hinged brace.

Before I play I stretch it gently and then warm up slowly, not hitting hard or stretching far. I am avoiding playing games as much as possible, and certainly trying not to play games with anyone good, trying instead just to get practice time hitting the ball, and trying to learn new shots to use to replace the ones that hurt. I am playing 15 or 20 min, then taking a break for 5 min. If it hurts or burns, I have to stop. I'm limiting hitting time to about 90 min plus breaks, and trying to practice 3 or 4 times a week. After I stop, 15 min later I ice it for 15 min, then massage with white flower oil or tiger balm and put on icy/hot arthritis.

Hopefully I'll work my way back to full strength within a couple more months, and maybe the hyper extension problem will heal, too, in time.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

Last edited by Old-Man-Southpaw on 19 Apr 2013, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 02:51 

Glad to hear you are on the mend. It sounds that you could write a "thesis" on the problem now. The super 7 exercises look useful and I have used some ot them in the past. All the best.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 12:59 

haggisv wrote:
jolan wrote:
haggisv wrote:
I've just had my first treatment of acupucture :rock: Although the pain in the specific area seems to have eased by quite a bit immediately, I feel some mild aches in the other places near the elbow, as if they pain has shifted a little and spread out while getting milder. I expect this will improve a lot over the week, when I'll get one more treatment.

I am very curious about acupuncture for TT elbow cure. It is the only treatment I haven't experienced yet. How has it been going for you so far ?

I have to book in my next session... got sick when my 2nd session was due, and then Christmas came up. I will persist though.

I went through acupuncture too. It didn't do a thing...Things are worse than ever. I'm back where I was 3 years ago. I even did the PRP (plasma-rich-platelet) treatment . Same as Nadal did for his knees... RMI shows it's worse than before...I think I did everything's feasible but surgery. The only thing is that surgeon doesn't want to do surgery. He says it would be totally useless and even dangerous. Whatever, I wouldn't retrieve my former elbow and my pain only comes when I play TT. So his diagnosis is : "Stop TT". Plain and simple ! I've already stopped official matches. Pointless, indeed. I can't train properly. My current level is a joke. All I can do is gently play 60mm a week and then rest in pain...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 16:45 

Your surgeon is correct. You must STOP playing but it is not the end. It may seem bleak but the arm will repair itself to some extent and if you can locate a good physio who can combine "hands on massage" with exercises this will speed up the process. This may require a long break from playing. In my case it was three months approx. Sadly there is no quick fix. All the best.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 16:17 

Many years ago I suffered very sore outer-elbow bone working as a hammer hand. Dropped the tools and paddled kayak many hours many day's per week. No more elbow pain!!! Now table tennis...elbow pain! Pretty sure it's all to do with muscle and tendon strain. Lots of stretching and massage is helping lots. I tend to bend wrist back hitting side spin drives and full arm extension on back-hand cuts.

1. massage arm muscles and tendons with wrist bent downwards...this is opposed to my wrist back table tennis grip which strains upper and inside arm muscles close to elbow. Also massage all around upper arm muscles above elbow including shoulder. There is tension and strain throughout arm from wrist to shoulder all creating tendon strain around elbow bone tendons. I believe.

Also with wrist bent downward, press thumb and fingers together each finger alternatively for 5-10 seconds.
After 3 hrs table tennis Ice pack until almost numb then apply heat and massage as above. If a muscle feels tender and sore it's in need of massage. Massage and massage all week long. And stretch. Massage creams are probably also very good. But I haven't got around to them yet.

I run mountains and cycle. Stretching and yoga is very very important. Calf stretches and ham-strings most important. Omega 3 fish oil is the best supplement for joints and cardiovascular.

Tricep...Massage; This is muscle under bicep and works hard out with tension and strain when playing all shots in TT. Bicep tendon is directly connected to elbow joint. Currently my bicep is feeling strained and slightly sore. I've just got into massage by this means:

Standing under open doorway; Extend arm outward so back of upper arm above elbow (tricep) is placed against sharpish edge of door frame. Rub tricep against door frame edge from close to elbow upwards toward shoulder; (some padded clothing helps). May feel slightly sore and tender. Classic overuse/strain/tightness causing elbow tendon inflammation. May take a few days to feel results. Can also massage with fingers along with all other arm muscles.

Tricky1.#112: Balsa carbon; Xiom Sigma Pro/Euro.