OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 12:56 
Horse Hockey!

Though not caused by TT, it looks like I'll be in a wheelchair soon due to a chronic illness. I feel well-enough to otherwise try playing again and wondering if anyone else has any advice. I've switched to SPs and going to try a Seemiller grip and see how that goes.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 13:58 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I wish you get well soon.
There may be videos you can watch online to see what strategies wheel chair TT players use.
Take care!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 14:25 
Super User

I played against a wheelchair bound player in a recent tournament and it seems the most important skill is to be a solid blocker because you have to hit every shot off the bounce before the ball gets too high. With so little time to react, the opponent often got caught in the cross-over point. I think Seemiller grip would be quite useful in this regard because 1) I read it is a very strong blocking grip and 2) no cross over point.
I wonder if, as well, it might be a good idea to use LP OX or antispin on the BH side which you can use to mix things up and also to handle really heavy loops. I know Seemiller players often use a change-up rubber.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 15:06 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I wish you well cyber.. you and Pk is correct. You have to improve your blocking game a lot.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 23:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Sorry to hear that CC1, but on the bright side you can still pursue a game you love now that you chose TT. If it was ice-hockey it might pose a problem! I wish you all the best, but from what I've seen of wheelchair play, those guys play a mean game being low enough to see straight down the line of the ball!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 00:58 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
poor_knight wrote:
I played against a wheelchair bound player in a recent tournament and it seems the most important skill is to be a solid blocker because you have to hit every shot off the bounce before the ball gets too high. With so little time to react, the opponent often got caught in the cross-over point. I think Seemiller grip would be quite useful in this regard because 1) I read it is a very strong blocking grip and 2) no cross over point.
I wonder if, as well, it might be a good idea to use LP OX or antispin on the BH side which you can use to mix things up and also to handle really heavy loops. I know Seemiller players often use a change-up rubber.

USA wheelchair player Andre Scott fits this mold and yet breaks it at the same time. He blocks off the bounce, yet can counter from any position. he deeply understands tactics many levels above his own. He is highly critical of himself at times and can suddenly shout obscenities about his play at random when he misses at critical junctures. He would be a riot if he was could walk like us and cover more ground. I lost to him when I was a city div 5 standard. Andre plays a Div 2 city standard and now, if I ver get back to Texas, I will have his hide haha...

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 01:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
So sorry to hear that cyber1call :( :( :(

We had a top wheelchair player at our club about 10+ years ago, who went on to win a world championship one year!
He was an awesome blocking, and I think that's something to work on for sure, as you're always close in, and this puts pressure on the opponent. Having a pimple or anti on one side could certainly help you make it tougher for your opponent as well.

Deception wise, there is a lot you can still do from a wheelchair, so what you'll lack on mobility, you'll have to compensate for in playing smarter, and cutting out the wide angles.

it would be great if we have some actual wheelchair players to could chop in with some extra tips....

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 03:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
There are a few wheelchair players in our area and I can tell you they can be difficult opponents, besides the surprise of the off the bounce block the ball comes back at unusual angles and can catch you out,also the rule here is that you have to make sure your serve clears the endline does not go over the sideline when playing against them

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 03:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I like the thought process of going to seemiller grip. I would argue you will want to end the points quickly when you have a chance. Hit winners when the opportunity appears.

This is one reason why I love this game. You can keep playing longer than most all other sports.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 03:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I was impressed by Anna-Carin Ahlquist of Sweden who won a gold medal at the London Paralympics with Dornenglanz ox on fh and Haifu Dolphin short pips on bh. Blade: Hallmark Enigma.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 06:25 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
mynamenotbob wrote:
I was impressed by Anna-Carin Ahlquist of Sweden who won a gold medal at the London Paralympics with Dornenglanz ox on fh and Haifu Dolphin short pips on bh. Blade: Hallmark Enigma.

I will be competing in the same competition and even in the same class as Anna-Carin this weekend. It is a competition with lots of classes for players in wheelchair and other disabilities, but also "normal" classes. And she competes also in the same class as I will attend. I might get to play against her :)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 11:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Wow! That's cool. I'd love to see video from any of her matches. She's great.

Have you ever played her before?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 12:43 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Sorry to hear that, man :(

I can't really give any advice on playing in a wheelchair, because I've never done it nor have I played against any wheelchair players.

Good luck with it, though! Once you can beat a lot of people, they'll be put to shame by "the guy in the wheelchair" 8)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 14:52 
Horse Hockey!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The video is inspirational. I miss playing and now can't wait to get back.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 16:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
mynamenotbob wrote:
Wow! That's cool. I'd love to see video from any of her matches. She's great.

Have you ever played her before?

No, but several of my friends have. She is ranked slightly lower than me, but not much. It is very different to play against someone in a wheelchair, the ball is returned in a different say even if the player uses "ordinary" rubbers.